Danganronpa General Discussion Thread

For the direction they decided to go in, they handled it really well.

The murder attempt was carefully disguised to where I didn't notice it, I only picked Kaede as the murderer because I didn't know what to do. The wording of "I dropped everything I was holding" was extremely subtle, yet could pin to the fact that everything wasn't what it seemed. The protagonist swapping was also really well done, with Kaede passing her wish onto Shuichi making it a really heartfelt moment. Kaede passing her wish to everyone else would have made me cry if I were alone.

However, that's all my logical thinking. Really, my thoughts are why the fucking fuck would you fucking kill Kaede??????? She had such an interesting personality! It was so much missed potential in her character to have a bait-and-switch, and it's really saddening. We never got to see her play piano too, something she wanted to do. And here she had a piano in her research lab she never discovered. I would have loved to see a full game with her, just like how Makoto and Hajime got their full games with only one interruption in DR2-4 for a logically based reason of "Hajime can't physically access that area".

I wish they kept Rantaro alive. His mysterious "knows-too-much" aura makes for an interesting character, especially when he's missing key parts of his other memories. It would have made for a very compelling arc for him, being able to know/predict all this stuff but not even remember his talent.

Kaede's assertive, head-on personality makes me really miss her. She died because she stayed positive and aimed for the end goal to free her friends. I act really similar to her, extreme positivity and never giving my goals up. On the other hand, I also relate really well to Shuichi's second-guessing and anxiety. I feel like I'll mesh well with him as well, but right now there are too many sour feelings to properly appreciate him. I wish they were given a chance to split during the latter bit of Chapter 1, though.

Kaito, man. What a good, refreshing character. This isn't even my space bias speaking, I really love his personality. Him slapping Shuichi for not living up to Kaede's wish was an extremely satisfying moment after all the heartbreak.

Miu at first came off as too strong, but I warmed up to her more during the chapter. I love her immediately becoming docile when yelled at, and all her hilarious nicknames during the trial. It's like Genocide Jack's tendency to call Makoto names, except actual bearable!

Gonta's wolf-family, Keebo's robotisms, and Ryoma's prison visit make for extremely interesting characters. Kokichi's supreme leadership is also similar for me, but I need to warm up to him more. On the contrary, Maki's personality doesn't work for me, I regret picking her for my theme.

Tenko's misandry is a bit excessive, but her facial reactions are hilarious and make up for this extremely exaggerated part of her. Angie's devotion to her God can be seen as similar, but I love it, and she's just so goddamn adorable.

Kiyo has this mysterious aura about him, he kind of creeps me out. He's a cool character though, seems pretty chill. Kirumi seems similar, but she doesn't seem very approachable to me. Maybe it's just how I cope with that huge trial witchhunt she sent out.

Himiko is... well, she's there. She's not interesting, and her character dynamics currently fall flat. Tsumugi is similar, but I actually like her. She doesn't have a bratty, lazy personality and seems very approachable.

The Monokubs are the fucking worst. I can't stand any of them. You can fight me about my opinion, but they are grating, they talk for way too long during trials, and their join/leave animations take way too long, even while skipping. Monokuma is still great, need a while to adjust to his voice, but holy shit the Monokubz.

Chapter 1 was an incredibly dangerous move for the first trial of the game. It paid off in some ways, like an incredibly interesting arc about all the foreshadowing we as the player could not even notice, but at the cost of losing two of the most interesting characters the game had to offer. It seemed way too early to have the hidden bookcase discovered. They immediately got into the mastermind talk, and it felt like the game was moving far too fast at some parts of this. However, it was really solid for the first trial of the game. And, if killing off the protagonist in the most upsetting way possible is in the first case, I'm completely fucking terrified for the rest of the game.

i'm still reeling over kokichi revealing everything because he got bored, taking kaito, and fucking leaving

also he looks fucking hilarious when he controls the exisals because it looks so out of place, i'm not gonna lie. if all his mastermind shots look like that, than my difficulty for the rest of the game will not be bursting out laughing when i see one

ok i’m finally done drv3 so i can stop multiposting

EDIT: got someone's last name wrong oops

01. Momota Kaito / Oma Kokichi
03. K1-B0
04. Harukawa Maki
05. Saihara Shuichi / Iruma Miu
07. Gokuhara Gonta
08. Akamatsu Kaede
09. Yonaga Angie
10. Yumeno Himiko
11. Chabashira Tenko
12. Amami Rantaro