Issue 124

Raiko Horikawa

Live your life according to your rhythm!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
It's up!

I'm aware there's a couple missing sections, our staff wiki went down over the weekend and denied us access to them. They'll be up ASAP

One of those sections is Take Cover!, which I hope to have up as soon as the staff wiki is up and running again! Hopefully it will be soon!!

big :clap:s to blocky for working hard to get it all up relatively on time !!!

also congrats to Lord Bowser for making it as Fun Stuff Director, thank you to Andymii for your history here, and thank you for the Staff and and Fake News SOTMs for Dear Anton and CC SOTM for Half-Baked Reviews <333

also everyone be sure to check out the art contest and vote for it too

Congrats LB on your promotion to both Fun Stuff Director and to Poll Committee Chairman! Both are not well-deserved and I'm so so so SO proud of you! <3

I need to give a definite shout-out to Andy, though. I ran against Andy during the election for PC Chairman for the sixth poll committee and it was a pretty fierce election, and then I asked him if he'd be interested in being my vice-chairman; around this same time, give or take maybe a few weeks or months, Andy applied and got the job to do Guess Who in Fun Stuff. I then became literally the woooorst Fun Stuff director and PC chairman in the world because I randomly left this place completely because I got so caught up in school and work with no warning, and so I left both Fun Stuff and PC in the dust, and Andy came right in and took over and returned both teams to its shining glory and to its brightest and best state that was before my tenure.

Andy's one of the hardest-working people I've ever come across in my nine years on this community, and he takes pride in his work and his teams that's been unmatched by a lot of people, and you can tell he genuinely cares for and loves the teams he's had and the people he's worked with.

I'm super proud of you, Andy. I'm so sorry I left you completely all those months ago, but I'm so happy that you got the opportunity to fulfill the titles of PC Chairman and Fun Stuff Director and became one of the best in both positions, and I would not have wanted any other person to have both titles. Congratulations on your retirement, bud! ^^;

Thank you sincerely for your kind words. It's been a complete joy working alongside you over the years, Packy :)

Congrats to the people in new positions!
Also woo a SSotM, thanks guys!

Gonna give a little constructive criticism on this one though. As of now there are still a whole bunch of images redlinked and there are some formatting errors too here and there. I would have just, like, delayed the issue for a day to iron those things out before releasing it, especially with the technical difficulties you had.

The given reason of a staff site going down does give a little trivia insight of how this stuff is prepared though, neat system. Does give less of an excuse for formatting errors though.

Problem is, we've got no idea when the site is going back up as of right now (spoilers: it's still down). I ultimately decided executively to put up what we had rather than delay indefinitely.

It does when the images are also trapped on the staff wiki.

I had to, yesterday, send an emergency message to everyone on the staff to get me their sections, and some of them just didn't have the images handy at the time. They'll be up as soon as we can actually get at them, or that the people who DO have them are able to upload them.

Again: this happened yesterday. We basically had to scramble at the last minute to get the issue up at all.

Lakituthequick said:
Does give less of an excuse for formatting errors though.

The excuse is we're still human and the formatting errors that do happen are really minor, and the staff wiki is to make sure everything is there and not literally breaking the page and/or entire wiki. Because it's on a separate wiki files and pages that exist on the MarioWiki are likely not on the staff wiki so it's not a perfect replica, just a place to store and manage a bulk of information instead of a pastebin or someone's clumsy notepad document each month, in addition to how a bunch of writers prefer to upload their own images and things like that.

If you could describe what you mean by "formatting errors", though, that would be more constructive since it's a nebulous term that can mean anything from a 1-letter typo to the entire page being broken.

Lakituthequick said:
Fair enough, but surely that doesn't prevent you from uploading the images here?

at least in the case of fake news, i've been busy all day so i've only just been able to upload them :)

Anton said:
The excuse is we're still human and the formatting errors that do happen are really minor, and the staff wiki is to make sure everything is there and not literally breaking the page and/or entire wiki. Because it's on a separate wiki files and pages that exist on the MarioWiki are likely not on the staff wiki so it's not a perfect replica, just a place to store and manage a bulk of information instead of a pastebin or someone's clumsy notepad document each month, in addition to how a bunch of writers prefer to upload their own images and things like that.

If you could describe what you mean by "formatting errors", though, that would be more constructive since it's a nebulous term that can mean anything from a 1-letter typo to the entire page being broken.
Okay.
Formatting error can indeed mean both of these things. However things on the second half of your scale are the ones I mean mostly as they stand out.

This issue has one of those in the form of Pipe Plaza where a section starts including all following sections. Would not personally mark that as minor.
4/6 sub teams also have a stray <center> on the bottom. That may not be major, but can be noticed.

Superchao said:
It does when the images are also trapped on the staff wiki.

I had to, yesterday, send an emergency message to everyone on the staff to get me their sections, and some of them just didn't have the images handy at the time. They'll be up as soon as we can actually get at them, or that the people who DO have them are able to upload them.

Again: this happened yesterday. We basically had to scramble at the last minute to get the issue up at all.
Well, as I said I would have delayed it by one day at most, if the site is up then you would have been good, and otherwise you would have one day instead of one minute to scramble.
I would much rather see a monthly paper delayed by one day than read a broken one on time.

Noisemaster said:
Lakituthequick said:
Fair enough, but surely that doesn't prevent you from uploading the images here?

at least in the case of fake news, i've been busy all day so i've only just been able to upload them :)
Neat :)

Not trying to turn this into a debate topic though. I have offered my feedback.

I noticed the <center> thing just a little bit ago on CC as I was fiddling with the poll, so I'll take care of that for the others too actually blocky just did as I was typing this. Also Pipe Plaza is routinely and historically a page that breaks itself thanks to some voodoo curse Yoshi876 received for looking better than the local witch who cast the spell on him. I fixed that error just now, as it was literally just a single missing </div> at the end of Forum Update.

I do appreciate the feedback and am also not seeking to turn this into a debate, it's just the commentary of "Does give less of an excuse for formatting errors though" seems a bit of a bite when it really wasn't all that big of a deal.

Where in the Marioverse is Carmen Sandiego has also been properly added to Fun Stuff, meaning the issue is now finally complete properly!

We promise it won't take a week and a half next month.

Sorry for the wait, everybody! I will also be drafting Carmen by hand now, so things won't be absolutely lost like they were for me this time.

Back