Coup d'état attempt in Turkey (Apparently Foiled)

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User
https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

I think this feed speaks for itself.

Holy shit.

Re: Coup d'état attempt in Turkey

all i can say is i hope everyone in turkey is safe and that this injustice is fought off

The situation is currently unclear; the military claims that it has won, the government has claimed that it has shut down the coup, gunshots and explosions are still going on.

Here are the possibilities, as far as I can tell:

1. The military has taken over the country, or at least the capital.
2. The military has been defeated by the common people and the police, many of whom are loyal to Erdogan.
3. The military attacks were staged by Erdogan in order to gain more support for his government. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the fact that a coup was shut down within hours of starting and the internet stayed on the entire time (previously the Turkish government has shut down the internet during incidents it didn't want the public to know about) is at least slightly suspicious to me.

Javelin said:
3. The military attacks were staged by Erdogan in order to gain more support for his government. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the fact that a coup was shut down within hours of starting and the internet stayed on the entire time (previously the Turkish government has shut down the internet during incidents it didn't want the public to know about) is at least slightly suspicious to me.
I believe this is the most logical conclusion. When Erdoğan fled the country in his private jet, I was honestly extremely surprised his private jet wasn't shot down. If you truly wanted to get rid of him, aiming all your anti-air artillery at his private jet and then firing everything you've got would have been the best thing to do.

Surely if the coup was real, he also wouldn't have returned to the country's airport.

Like, that would be the dumbest possible move on his part.

Relevant aftermath article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/turkey/12077703/Turkeys-president-says-all-he-wants-is-same-powers-as-Hitler.html

Back