Australian Federal Election (2nd July)

fantanoice

I can see through time
Pronouns
She / They
Who you voting for / would vote for if you could (totally not another thread like that already)?

My electorate is a strong Liberal seat so I'm not expecting much. Hoping we get Greens and Sex Party up in the senate. Still need to read up on a lot of the minor parties, there are a few which have 'positive' names with really disgusting policies (the Health Party who are anti-vaxxers and literally everything from Family First).

And yeah obviously I want Libs out of power.

How about you?

I voted from London. Primarily I voted for Liberal.

The Australian Sex Party was also high on my preferences.

I'm voting primarily Sex Party, with Greens being my second choice. Putting Labour second last, and Liberal at the complete bottom.

How are the candidates in Australia compared to the United States?

we don't have primaries. The parties choose their candidates, and all we do is vote for the parties we want to see in office. It's a preferential voting system, so it's thankfully not an all-or-nothing system and allows smaller parties more means to make a mark on the Senate, but most people are still stuck in this "Labour and Liberal, gotta pick one" mentality.

It's frustrating.

Jacques said:
Tbh I'd vote any party called sex party
It got its name due to forming from the Eros Association, which was a lobby group that worked towards better legal rights and protections for sex workers in Australia. They're probably the most socially conscious party in the country, so they have quite an appeal to me.

All voted. Friend already have a a shortlist of people to vote for so I mostly followed that given we're both quite progressive. We did have a disagreement about Derryn Hinch Justice Party because he was against a public, sex offenders list, saying that the people on it would never be able to get a job even after they've been reformed. While I'm all for reformation, I am also much more unsympathetic and if I get involved with someone I would like to know early on whether I have reason to fear for my safety. But eh, different opinions, right.

Oh and that sausage sizzle ✅

looks like it could be a hung parliament situation again. Just what we bloody need.

I prefer minority parties because they're more diverse (I was a huge fan of the Gillard government; carbon tax yo, gimme more of that). It's looking like a Liberal minority party is possible but I don't think they're the type to want to team up with independents and Greens. It'll be really hard for Labor to convince all the minor parties to form government as well.

I hope we don't have to vote again because I've had my say and that won't be changing. And really, who is going to change their vote? If you choose something else then you're not going for the person you think best represents you, which is against the whole point of voting.

Back