Nex plays games for your entertainment (soon: LeafGreen postgame & Pokémon Moon)

NEXandGBX

One Tough Cream Puff
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
NEXandGBX
o3iivOi.png

Ah yes, Pokemon LeafGreen Version, the game that got me into gaming to begin with. Since the series' 20th anniversary is tomorrow (or today, depending on your timezone), I figured I'd start replaying it.

The opening wasn't very important. Yes Oak, I KNOW what a Pokemon is. Bah, whatever.
U9zMhxn.png

dgZOuw2.png

I couldn't really think of a better name for the rival.

"Are you ready to start your Pokemon journey?" Well at least let me get some coffee fi-
LQivcOM.png

sigh

So I wound up in my room, in front of the TV.
81XQ83g.png

This...uh...this is sexual.

hyeAtfm.png

Ah yes, the system that we used to get the Potion in there and then never touched it again. Ever.

I go downstairs to check up with mom and she said that Oak was next door. So I looked next door.
oACChuR.png

sHE LIED

Sick of her bastardized attitude, I decide to run away from home.
fThESu5.png

And where the hell have you been? Actually, during battles, why don't the Pokemon ever attack me as a person instead of my Pokemon. If they aren't doing that, how is going out unsafe?

But hey, I shouldn't be so pouty. Anyways, he leads me to his lab and lets me pick a starter.
Jh7L6ui.png

I chose Charmander for the sole reason that I started with him in my first playthrough.

pz23zkJ.png

I heard you have a fire problem?

Shy Guy challenges me to a battle, which even though I got critical hitted once, I managed to win.
JXB7ERs.png

After that, I get outta there and begin beating up some wild Pokemon to train up Edo a bit.
WTmDhaC.png

So far so good.

I arrive in the next town and after healing up I go to the Poke Mart because I already know what to do.
v2UNjCx.png

I'm going to take a wild guess and say these are drugs.

And after a short hike back, I delivered Oak the goods. He gave Shy Guy and I Pokedexes and Poke Balls.

Shy Guy then makes a snarky comment about his map.
LUN0M7D.png

SwmGVaK.png

Well...

I already have multiple parts of images done, but I'm trying to space it out a bit.

Anyways, this is a basic, vanilla run of LeafGreen. No nuzlocke, no randomizer. I'm doing this because it feels more like I'm going back to my roots this way, though if I weren't aiming for that I likely would have done the latter.

This is likely going to become a general screenshot forum playing thread for me so if you guys have any requests on what I should play next, lay them on me!

Re: Nex plays Pokemon LeafGreen for your entertainment.

This oughta be good

And thus, with my dex and balls, I set off on my journey. My immediate priority was Route 2 and Viridian Forest to grind levels, catch some Pokemon, and move onto Pewter City.

kPuZ95S.png

3SB6VbM.png

maths and milk and memes

ZV74Acp.png

I forgot to take a screen of the name screen, but I named this Weedle UltraMario because I know he likes Beedrill.

NYPSMnU.png

1fVFZZm.png

Because where do you think rats get food from? :yoshi:

Shortly after catching Jav, I backtracked to Route 22.

5OyHjpl.png

uWkeonR.png

I named this Mankey after Zae simply because he, like everyone, tends to get mad at UM quite a lot.

ZzXAOqv.png

Let's rock and roll, shorty.
lhD57BR.png

5TiWnnx.png

kdnJqxZ.png

J2enEa2.png

Zae saves the dae.

After that battle, I went to go proceed further into the forest.
HQjt6Ry.png

This guy was a pushover.

9baCQBQ.png

takdmce.png

So this means he'll suck less...right?

Heh...

...right?

lol at the last one

I continue my quest in the Viridian Forest.

j0GIJOq.png

H2V2Nqg.png

mate

8s2LE7r.png

About time!

s8UPYmy.png

The team after a bit of grinding.

And now for further grinding.

19VSoor.png

Now I have the power to break the first gym wide open, at least by my experience.

24FVNk8.png

15DftSR.png

cwYTECI.png

uCWarWm.png

I'm ready.

GjljOVQ.png

Time to ro-shit I already used a similar line. Oh, and just for reference I fought the trainer before this but nothing was worth screening.
67Ngd53.png

8RhyddJ.png

Zae saves the dae again.

JHSYnlG.png

So far so good! Now, it's time to move on.

late but

rats are actually amazing creatures, and i have no problems with this

With the Boulder Badge on-hand, I move along on my quest.

This kid really likes shorts.
cNuwx1S.png

Until it snows, that is.

UtJUFG0.png

9c3ZWPw.png

mrK2nPk.png

FYdccOb.png

finally

KfFuFeR.png

LAAAAAAAZY ULTRAMARIO

Even though I didn't screen it, I did catch that Jigglypuff.
18IlhG4.png

R E S T S Q U A D

Did you name the Jigglypuff?

nZr4yIy.png

Here we go.

wqXFVJu.png

I saw this screen a LOT in this cave.

Rv7S7ck.png

This Zubat in particular thought Astonish would work on Gutseh. Unfortunately for me, I thought Sing would work on it. Accuracy is a bitch.

0R759fj.png

XszupGW.png

This is more of a play on his name than anything else.

PXVKMcU.png

About time I encountered something different.
0An7WaB.png

h69bdAv.png

"That pun is so terrible! I have to use it!"

cDwZ51m.png

Gutseh can finally stand up for himself.

ex2K7FJ.png

After a Metal Sound a Thundershock from that Magnemite nearly knocked Zae out, be he's still holding on.

Stay tuned next update as I continue further through Mt. Moon.

z3dVb76.png

f0IxI9E.png

France puns.

ug9uAXa.png

This is why you don't drink the blood of an Australian.

Okay this next part was pretty annoying. The first Pokemon I found in the floor with the fossils was a Clefairy, and I knew I had a great name for it. In my attempt to weaken it a bit, though, Edo scored a critical hit. So after that I ran around for a few minutes until I found another one, and it finished off both Gutseh and Javelin.
wjIQFDf.png

Thankfully, Dippy was able to tame it.

Bsq9XkM.png

nico nico nii~

3CzMYO6.png

My status after catching TFP.

aQRZNtM.png

I like to imagine that Gust just blows Grimer into many pieces instead of hitting it normally.

6o01fXh.png

I didn't screen it but I picked the Helix Fossil. I already have a name planned for it.

c67R5Pm.png

I'm out!

HpZlqiI.png

AyWvBx8.png

Used the tutors here to alter Edo's and Zae's movesets a smidge.

Next time, some grinding and then it's off to beat Misty. Either that or underestimate the levels and get decimated. One of the two.

wait a minute.

helix fossil = omanyte

i think i see where this pun is going

Omanyte = I'm a knight, so he will name it Colonel KR.

Cause the Colonel's oc was a knight.

shit you got me

QPxS72Z.png

While grinding levels, I caught this guy. I couldn't think of a better name for her, but Sandshrew reminds me of Sonic a bit so.

I figured that just wild Pokemon would get me nowhere, so I went to go through Nugget Bridge.
Xl0az3w.png

aqmJuFc.png

Shy Guy was pretty easy to take out this time.

rEKtqnx.png

Well I caught it but idk what to name it.
Mzhp9Eo.png

Wait, PSI? That gives me an idea.
kFfzx8Z.png

<Stargazing> the cards tell you to shut up i know what i'm doing

3hLocww.png

bj3fNU3.png

Bellsprout reminds me of Kotori's birb face for whatever reason.

bLEml5W.png

Your problem, not mine.

yWScLYQ.png

After that, I went to go challenge Misty. The match was decently even, and iirc Dippy made a last-minute push to beat her.

S6GNAaF.png

Then I was bored so I decided to go visit Diglett's Cave.

LjPnyIB.png

Level 31? That seems pretty broken given how it's really far ahead of my other members.
NKUluoO.png

Why the hell is Dugtrio so heavy, seriously.

Around this point I often forgot to take screens, so some events may go by very fast and comments will often be of what I remember of it. To compensate, have a longer part. This will apply to the next part or two as well, but after that I believe I got my shit together.

After beating up Misty, I decided that I would relax myself with a cruise.

0Lngupt.png

Shy Guy, you're American, not French.

hZvC1dx.png

JV7 Stock PeoplesChamp

Directly after that, Shy Guy walked away talking about him not having a pass or something. I went to go talk to the captain about it and
VbuiDIf.png

uh
g2tn1Bn.png

UH
XEpMZIq.png

im getting off this ship

After that...er...sight, I went to go take on the next gym leader, my goal being to not use Packy that often.

The gym itself was simple, but the leader himself turned out to be a bit of a problem. Specifically, his Raichu.
ioqTYoC.png

Keep in mind, I was trying to keep from using Packy too much, so I decided to send out Dippy to see how she fared. She managed to wither down it's health a lot, but fainted in the end. How was this a problem? Two words: Double Team. Evasion sucks, everyone knows that. I for the life of me could not hit him.

Kc0KhQh.png

Packy saves the day.

Now with a third badge, I go to continue on with my quest.

2UcDdXs.png

One trainer's Bellsprout (or maybe Oddish, I can't remember) managed to do this to my team, leaving just two without status conditions.

Some grinding later...
kDtbZzv.png

GkdDYp6.png

spiritual power

S6LHFWM.png

hahaha oh boy i don't have flash

this is going to be a fuuuun cave

pMaABxA.png

it's baaaaaack

aHLXeuU.png

0iHFkhT.png

I forgot why I named this Onix after Roy.

I don't have any more cave screens, but Star was running out of PP during training so I had to use my other Pokemon, who were getting their asses kicked for the most part.

YrmlL9l.png

Freedom!

oh i'm in this i just realized

funny because bellsprout and its evolutions are some of my favourite grass types, second only to trevenant

From Lavender, I ended up going over to Celadon City to beat their local gym.

FmGIGQF.png

some embers (and once it was learned, flamethrowers) later
5Hitqus.png

Well, that was easy.

In one of the buildings there was a Rocket grunt telling me to not hit the poster in the Game Corner, but fuck him I do what I want.

cmnMS6t.png

How did nobody notice you guys install this?! Do they just not give a shit?

Uolxwht.png

grV6891.png

edolution

A lot of Grunt battles later...

piWgPL1.png

I don't have any screens of this but I beat him up good.

Same for Shy Guy slightly later.
hwrrf8u.png

dippy is the true plot armor

I also did all of the Pokemon Tower offscreen. Except for this.
PB9oKGS.png

yeah yeah puns

0p9RdqI.png

the eternal struggle

M4yI6S6.png

critical hits suck

I still had the other Snorlax I could catch at least.
JENq1pO.png

and so I did.

jcyfF7a.png

<Uniju> daily reminder that i have to make uht

Q7vORZB.png

09kkhLn.png

hoorah

It's at this point when I stopped caring about naming my Pokemon immediately. I caught a bunch in the Safari Zone.

eFRO7Hn.png

After doing all that, I went to go fight Koga. But I needed a Pokemon who was more defensive.

yDBvw0Q.png

I know Gabby likes clerics so *shrugs*

But as it turns out, she wasn't needed, like at all. Uniju pretty much swept a lot of the gym while Edo and Pi took care of the rest.

sudNH8I.png

I forgot to even take a screenshot of the gym.

Oh, and just as a heads up, next part is covering just a single event. It was a pretty long one though, so stay tuned.

:dry:

yes i am aware that title sucks shut up

fgX6v3Z.png

So anyway, I trekked my way through the Power Plant and found my way to Zapdos. With a saved game on-hand, I set out to catch this bird.

ROUND 1

DFoL5YU.png

Oh, we're off to a great start.

zExMlBT.png

I never understood exactly what this phrase meant. If it appeared caught, wouldn't someone have blocked the ball as they do in trainer battles? Better yet, that raises a question: If a trainer's Pokemon is far away from their trainer, can a different trainer end up catching it? Am I stealing this Zapdos? The lore is deep, let me tell you.

CEYUkii.png

rip

ROUND 2

4m3y5ul.png

We meet again.

lHqUh5R.png

PNjjysV.png

75NqVya.png

It's getting better but no dice this time.

ROUND 3

6uwu7ZG.png

We meet again again.

aGAZOhq.png

Now my memory is kind of foggy, but if I recall correctly I took this because Zapdos used it like three to five times in a row and landed it each time.

tXH4QSo.png

My struggle catching this thing reminds me of a story from my original playthrough; now back then I didn't worry about status so I pretty much just went all out until it's health got low, then threw balls at it. This reckless behavior actually led to Zapdos knocking out my whole team, and once I saw that I lost money to it, I've always associated Zapdos with money. I can't remember if I ever caught it or not, and it's not like I can check because my original cart is long gone.

qKFnRF2.png

And while I was explaining that I managed to capture it. Alright then.

USx4HEu.png

I decided to name all of the legendary birds after Toad users. I figured that GBAToad fit most for Zapdos because his head is a GBA.

Afterwards, I did a bit of sidequesting into other areas to catch other Pokemon. Didn't bother to get strength before going to the Seafoam Islands, so I can't catch Articuno yet.
pvYN4ME.png

Eventually.

kkl1jCp.png

I decided to give the Zapdos savior Pokemon a user name. I felt like Borp fit most for this because I'm not sure.

fU73gBa.png

I ended up getting a free Eevee from this guy, which I ended up nicknaming FireEevee.

7k14inA.png

I revived the Helix Fossil and nicknamed it after Porple himself. Though the "I'm a knight" pun didn't go to use, Meta Knight wasn't left out of the party entirely.
fC5lrj0.png

Lastly, I went through the fighting dojo, which was a piece of cake due to GBAToad, Edo, Pi, and Stargazing.
1IBIIbK.png

The sad reality is that we're still not even caught up to where I am in-game.

Now continuing on with the main plot, I forgot to take most of the screens for the Silph Co. part. Nothing particularly interesting happened when I didn't screen though so it's fine.

Not long in I hit a small bump on the road; I wanted to evolve Stargazing into an Alakazam at Lv. 36, because I figured that trade evolving right after I got Kadabra would be kind of cheating and wanted to wait a bit. The problem is, trading through VBA is complete ass. Because of this, I used a randomizer to disable trade evolutions, and one level later:
UdnJDOv.png

S P I R I T U A L P O W E R

I ended up getting a free Lapras from some guy in the building.
k6sD0tv.png

Yknow, because Lapras Lazuli?

Also there was a Shy Guy fight somewhere in here but I'm pretty sure I swept him so nothing interesting there.

Wanted someone more bulky for my team, so I took a Slowbro I caught in the Seafoam Islands and gave it a nickname.
ovMNwRp.png

whir whir whir

Hj62MMK.png

Time to take this guy down once and for all except later.

bvLhcez.png

cqDXSSy.png

he had another pokemon but i forgot to screen it

X1nM2Fg.png

For once it's not me who's hitting myself.

2fF3ttH.png

To be fair I'm pretty sure I haven't lost a battle all playthrough.

fcJD9AN.png

Master Ball get. Not planning to use it for a while.

Now done with Silph Co., I can take on the city gym.
XVO62FM.png

IFkP8k9.png

fDzkIwP.png

412wbJg.png

BcoTPUV.png

Don't remember her being too hard.

Though she's been off my team for a while, I decided to level Dippy up some more to have her learn Thunderbolt. Now that that's out of the way and I'm not worried about the rest of Pikachu's learnset, I figured then would be a good time to evolve her.
IqGhZzA.png

I also got Strength in the meantime so it's time to go back to the Seafoam Islands.
TvRnnDn.png

HZBzdUq.png

Time to kidnap another Toad.

ROUND 1

Emp7HI6.png

SC2LpaB.png

Lovely start.

LY8w9Br.png

Well... that was easy.

I ended up nicknaming the Articuno Toad85.

x17iqS2.png

I also got the Cinnabar gym's key from the Pokemon Mansion. Nothing really exciting happened. Oh, except for this:
VlpNzX7.png

Guess it picked a bad time to go boom.

6hW3Mhj.png

Gym time.

ND6vZCi.png

Mega Politoed when?

quUWfft.png

Why isn't Tombstony an actual attack yet?

G5ucPen.png

OQw1Urp.png

Anton once again proves his worth.

nw9hIuV.png

A fire type, you say?

VMzBkKP.png

Nah.

wow i fucked doomy up good huh

Back