Crocodile Dippy's Album Collection

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
1wxdjOv.jpg
Not quite a fan project, but this is the best place for me to put it.

This is an ongoing update on my ever-growing album collection, which sits at about 327 albums so far. Most of them are CDs, I'm saving up for surgery so I can't really spend too much on vinyls at this stage, but that'll change with time. In the interim, bask in my collection, discuss it, suggest some records, whatever you want. I'll keep posting here regardless to show off new additions to my haul.

A documented archive of all the albums in my collection. This'll continuously be updated as well.

Dats a lot of shelves. And like, 30 CDs per compartment, it looks like? Much more impressive and organized than my few dozen CDs: they're just in four stacks in two separate locations - although I do (try to) keep artists restricted to single piles only.

The shelves are organised by genre, with the genre categories being the ones shown in the Archive. It's my way of keeping some degree of order in my collection, so I'm not pairing, say... Run the Jewels (hardcore hip hop) with Simon and Garfunkel (folk-pop) in the same shelf. I have more in some genres than I do in others due to accessibility and affordability, with my Alternative section being the most filled (fourth row, left and middle column), although that may just be due to how broad that umbrella term is.

A lot of Cds! I spotted the two classical ones : Beethoven and Bach!

I wanted to point out in case you missed that, but "The good, the bad, and the ugly" is not considered classical music but rather film music, although Morricone did write other works that are classical.

oh man all that tim buckley and no starsailor asakjghalk

regardless dippy please invite me to australia to listen to music with you

Crocodile Dippy said:
The shelves are organised by genre, with the genre categories being the ones shown in the Archive. It's my way of keeping some degree of order in my collection, so I'm not pairing, say... Run the Jewels (hardcore hip hop) with Simon and Garfunkel (folk-pop) in the same shelf. I have more in some genres than I do in others due to accessibility and affordability, with my Alternative section being the most filled (fourth row, left and middle column), although that may just be due to how broad that umbrella term is.
Definitely makes more sense than blanket alphabetical order, especially sine it avoids having to shuffle everything around whenever new stuff's added.

Dinomyte said:
A lot of Cds! I spotted the two classical ones : Beethoven and Bach!

I wanted to point out in case you missed that, but "The good, the bad, and the ugly" is not considered classical music but rather film music, although Morricone did write other works that are classical.
I actually want to have a separate Soundtrack section on my shelf, but so far that's the only soundtrack I have, so I decided to throw it with the classical music for the time being until such time.

Banjo said:
oh man all that tim buckley and no starsailor asakjghalk

regardless dippy please invite me to australia to listen to music with you
regrettably... I'm still lookin', don't worry, I'll find Starsailor eventually! I adore that album so much.

Also, you're invited, but it's up to you if you actually come down here or not. Think you can handle all the wildlife that'll inevitably be swarming around my shelf?

Walkazo said:
Definitely makes more sense than blanket alphabetical order, especially sine it avoids having to shuffle everything around whenever new stuff's added.
God yea, that was my biggest problem with the way I ordered it all before I got the shelf. That was awful, having to manually shift all the CDs around to fit in a new record that began with "A"... terrible. This is way more convenient, and looks far nicer.

Rayquaza said:
That's quite a collection
Danke

Nice

Are there any records that you really want to get but haven't been able to find? Also my Dad's got a decent record collection and gets most of his stuff through garage sales and Op Shops so you may want to look at those places of you're not already (plus they're cheap as chips).

Also where did you get that shelf from because that's a hella nice shelf

There are a few that I've had great difficulty finding, such as The Monks' Black Monk Time, Funkadelic's One Nation Under a Groove, and Clarence Clarity's No Now. I could probably get them off Amazon, of course, but I need to save my money at the moment. Someday, I'm going to make it a regular thing to save up a heap of money for albums, then just go out to the record shops in the city and go nuts; although your garage sale idea seems like a nice proposition as well, that could be a good path for me to take as well.

and I got the shelf from here; http://www.ikoala.com.au/adjustable-cd-dvd-book-storage-shelf-brown-1.html

Yeah and with Op Shops / garage sales sometimes people don't realise what things are worth (or just really need to get rid of stuff) and you can pick things up for insane bargains. Doesn't always happen but when it does it's pretty cool.

We should totally go Op Shoppin' / garage salin' at some point, right, right? Please say yes I need frugal friends

When I get payed next and actually have a stable budget worked out, then sure!

I ordered a heap of albums about a month ago, and they arrived today
flJ6yh6.jpg
XGIXFtn.jpg

• Bad Brains - Bad Brains (1982)
  • Gil-Scott Heron/Brian Jackson - Winter in America (1974)
  • Paradise Lost - Gothic (1991)
  • Enslaved - Frost (1994)
  • Parliament - Mothership Connection (1975)
  • Minor Threat - Out of Step (1983)

aww yiss bad brains

also since you havent been in irc this presents an opportunity to tell you i listened to the first two pixies albums and also loveless

gud stuff

Loveless is my all-time favourite record, it's just pure fuzzy goodness. It's what I listen to to make me happy whenever I'm having a particularly bad day. Good choice, Banjoman.

Another one of my orders came in

Q2DiNqY.jpg

The hugely influential Double Nickels on the Dime by Minutemen, one of the most important albums in the development of alternative rock.

Mum bought me a record player as an early birthday gift:
JZjLTmL.jpg

also got a heap of records:
4ovNLsH.jpg

here is what me and my brother have added to the collection in the past week:
3I4LKTc.jpg

• Johnny Cash ~ At San Quentin
  • Creedence Clearwater Revival ~ Cosmo's Factory
  • Miles Davis ~ Kind of Blue
  • Ghost ~ Meliora
  • Iron Maiden ~ Powerslave
  • Kendrick Lamar ~ To Pimp a Butterfly
  • Manic Street Preachers ~ The Holy Bible
  • Massive Attack ~ Ritual Spirit (EP)
  • Janelle Monae ~ The Electric Lady
  • Motorhead ~ Another Perfect Day
  • Pixies ~ Doolittle
  • The Prodigy ~ The Fat of the Land

so I attended International Record Store Day yesterday, and while I didn't get everything I was after, I still got a bloody sweet haul.

all the albums I bought are tucked away in a nice image folder right here on imgur. The first nine images show the Record Store Day exclusive releases I bought, everything after that is cool shit me and my brother found that we leaped at the opportunity to purchase.

the albums are:
  • Sex Pistols ~ Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols [RSD EXCLUSIVE PICTURE DISC]
  • Ravi Shankar ~ In Hollywood, 1971 [RSD EXCLUSIVE]
  • KMFDM ~ Salvation [RSD EXCLUSIVE]
  • J Dilla ~ The Diary [RSD EXCLUSIVE]
  • Fleetwood Mac ~ The Alternate Tusk [RSD EXCLUSIVE]
  • Death ~ Vivus: Dividium Live in Eindhosen [RSD EXCLUSIVE]
  • Miles Davis, Robert Glasper, and Bilal ~ Ghetto Walkin' [RSD EXCLUSIVE SINGLE]
  • The Young Gods ~ L'Eau Rouge
  • ISIS ~ Oceanic
  • My Bloody Valentine ~ Loveless
  • Motorhead ~ No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
  • MC5 ~ Kick Out the Jams
  • Ennio Morricone ~ The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
  • Sunn O))) ~ Monoliths and Dimensions
  • Joy Division ~ Unknown Pleasures

Back