I have the NAP-05 cards deck, is it useful for the Wiki?

Mister Wu

King Bowser
Wiki Administrator
MarioWiki
Mister Wu
Today the NAP-05 deck I ordered arrived. It is a Nintendo-made Japanese French playing cards deck that has various characters of the Mario universe along with their Japanese name, both in Katakana (sorry if I am wrong, I am really bad in my Japanese knowledge) and with the official romanization:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/chara_t_m/

Would the official romanization be useful for the Wiki?

It could warrant its own article as a collectible game (Merchandise#Board.2Fcollectible_games). The romanization, it would be interest to compare it to the Foreign Names table of each item/character/whatever.

Hobbes said:
The romanization, it would be interest to compare it to the Foreign Names table of each item/character/whatever.

Ok, here are the various romanized names (they are all in uppercase). The format is card: "English name (not on the card)" - "Romanized name on the card"

K♠: "MARIO" - "MARIO"
Q♠: "PEACH" - "PEACH"
J♠: "LUIGI" - "LUIGI"
10♠: "WHOMP" - "BATTAN"
9♠: "LEMMY KOOPA" - "LEMMY"
8♠: "KAMEK" - "KAMECK"
7♠: "BOB-OMB" - "BOMB-HEI"
6♠: "KOOPA TROOPA" - "NOKO NOKO"
5♠: "BOO" - "TERESA"
4♠: "PIRANHA PLANT" - "PACKUN FLOWER"
3♠: "WARIO" - "WARIO"
2♠: "BABY MARIO" - "BABY MARIO"
1♠: "SUPER MUSHROOM" - "SUPER KINOKO"
K♦: "CAT MARIO" - "NEKO MARIO"
Q♦: "TOADETTE" - "KINOPICO"
J♦: "TOAD" - "KINOPIO"
10♦: "PETEY PIRANHA" - "BOSS PACKUN"
9♦: "IGGY KOOPA" - "IGGY"
8♦: "MORTON KOOPA JR." - "MORTON"
7♦: "SPINY" - "TOGEZO"
6♦: "GOOMBA" - "KURIBO"
5♦: "SHY GUY" - "HEY-HO" (actually the artwork used is that of a Fly Guy)
4♦: "CHAIN CHOMP" - "WANWAN"
3♦: "WALUIGI" - "WALUIGI"
2♦: "BABY DAISY" - "BABY DAISY"
1♦: "SUPER STAR" - "SUPER STAR"
K♥: "FIRE MARIO" - "FIRE MARIO"
Q♥: "DAISY" - "DAISY"
J♥: "DONKEY KONG" - "DONKEY KONG"
10♥: "WIGGLER" - "HANA-CHAN"
9♥: "ROY KOOPA" - "ROY"
8♥: "WENDY O. KOOPA" - "WENDY"
7♥: "CHEEP CHEEP" - "PUKU PUKU"
6♥: "KOOPA PARATROOPA" - "PATA PATA"
5♥: "LAKITU" - "JUGEMU"
4♥: "BULLET BILL" - "KILLER"
3♥: "DIDDY KONG" - "DIDDY KONG"
2♥: "BABY PEACH" - "BABY PEACH"
1♥: "FIRE FLOWER" - "FIRE FLOWER"
K♣: "TANOOKI MARIO" - "TANUKI MARIO"
Q♣: "ROSALINA" - "ROSETTA"
J♣: "YOSHI" - "YOSHI"
10♣: "DRY BOWSER" - "HONE KOOPA"
9♣: "LUDWIG VON KOOPA" - "LUDWIG"
8♣: "LARRY KOOPA" - "LARRY"
7♣: "BUZZY BEETLE" - "MET"
6♣: "HAMMER BRO" - "HAMMER BROS."
5♣: "BLOOPER" - "GESSO"
4♣: "BIRDO" - "CATHERINE"
3♣: "LUMA" - "CHIKO"
2♣: "BABY LUIGI" - "BABY LUIGI"
1♣: "? BLOCK" - "HATENA BLOCK"
JOKER: "BOWSER KOOPA" - "KOOPA"
JOKER: "BOWSER KOOPA Jr." - "KOOPA Jr."

The deck is actually organized according to some rules: K is Mario or one of his most famous transformations, Q is a "princess" (and Toadette has already been associated with princesses, as in the Mario Hanafuda deck she is with them: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/mariohanafuda/index.html), J is an important playable character, 9 and 8 are Koopalings (but in the case of ♠ we have Kamek as the Koopalings are only seven), 2 is a baby and 1 (not indicated as A) is an item. Even in the other decks Bowser is in the Joker cards, so it made sense to have Bowser and Bowser Jr. as Jokers.

Regarding the romanizations, I think the interesting part is Kameck, Kinopico and Packun Flower, usually romanized as Kamek, Kinopiko and Pakkun Flower, also the Bomb-Hei, Hey-Ho and Hana-Chan names now have a bar (Hey-Ho also uses the y, while Bomb-Hei finally has the missing b!). Lakitu is Jugemu again, too.

Regarding the romanizations, I think the interesting part is Kameck, Kinopico and Packun Flower, usually romanized as Kamek, Kinopiko and Pakkun Flower
Could you tell us if the Katakanas(?) for these differ from the ones we have? (カメック for Kamek; キノピコ for Toadette; and パックンフラワー for Piranha Plant)

Hobbes said:
Regarding the romanizations, I think the interesting part is Kameck, Kinopico and Packun Flower, usually romanized as Kamek, Kinopiko and Pakkun Flower
Could you tell us if the Katakanas(?) for these differ from the ones we have? (カメック for Kamek; キノピコ for Toadette; and パックンフラワー for Piranha Plant)
I can confirm that they don't. They are Katakana, of course, they also use a peculiar font, but still it can be seen that they are not different.

Sometimes weird romanizations show up. In this case, it looks like turning double "kk"s into more natural-looking "ck"s, although since they indicate a pause before the consonant, it's a rather misplaced effort; dunno why they'd make it "Kinopico", but then again, it's "Niconico douga", not "Nikoniko", so it's not unheard of. Anyway, it'd probably be worth noting on the JapM sections of the applicable articles' "Names in other languages".

And yes, I think an article for the deck as a whole would be cool, or even better, perhaps all six decks on that webpage all together on one overall "Mario Toranpu" article, if we could obtain full card lists of the rest too.

Walkazo said:
Sometimes weird romanizations show up. In this case, it looks like turning double "kk"s into more natural-looking "ck"s, although since they indicate a pause before the consonant, it's a rather misplaced effort; dunno why they'd make it "Kinopico", but then again, it's "Niconico douga", not "Nikoniko", so it's not unheard of. Anyway, it'd probably be worth noting on the JapM sections of the applicable articles' "Names in other languages".

And yes, I think an article for the deck as a whole would be cool, or even better, perhaps all six decks on that webpage all together on one overall "Mario Toranpu" article, if we could obtain full card lists of the rest too.
At the moment I have the NAP-02, NAP-03, NAP-05 and NAP-06 decks. Having all 6 will require a bit of time as, if I ordered the NAP-01 and NAP-04 now, a month would be needed for them to arrive.
The NAP-02, NAP-03 and NAP-05 section should be doable as they mostly reuse existing artwork, while the NAP-06 is problematic as it is existing artwork recolored, so it is not really possible to fully explain the cards via existing material. I am thinking about a table a bit like I made here, so card, artwork and in the case of NAP-05, text.

Back