The Official Pokémon Adventures/SPECIAL Manga Thread

Glitchy Bowser Jr.

"Stuff it, sponge brain!"
Discuss the Pokémon Adventures / SPECIAL manga here. Things like your favourite arc, your favourite Pokédex Holder, anything about it. Personally, my favourite Pokédex Holder is Gold. I enjoy his mischief, his carefree attitude and the fact that he literally raised a Togepi to be a gambler! A Togepi!

I finished up to Book 14 which I believe finishes the Jotho legacy and I gotta say, they're pretty damn great

I read it twice over, once a long time ago and again about a year ago. I like them.

I kind of stopped once the ordering became convoluted. I don't know why they made B/W it's own sub-series sort of thing. It's dumb.

I've read up to the DPP arc; still mean to go back and read the rest. The original few interlocking story arcs were my favourite, although I was pleasantly surprised by the abilities of the RS and DPP arcs to get me involved with the new characters nice and quickly. Green/Blue/Gary was always my favourite, but really, the only character that didn't really click for me was Emerald: imho, they should have just stuck with Wally as the permanent third Dex holder, after all that buildup and character development...

Would've nice if Emerald had any build up at all, it just seemed like he appeared out of nowhere and became a main character.

He didn't have another main character with him to help us get to know him better either so it felt kind of shallow. Seeing Gold show up in that part of the series was pretty cool though, I loved that.

I like the manga. Way better story arcs and characters than the anime has to offer, higher stakes, and superior atmosphere. The protagonists are comparatively more competent and stuff actually gets done. It's a nice set of tales that actually manages to capture the spirit of the games, while also doing its own thing. Sometimes it gets kind of convoluted and stupid, but most of the time it works.

As for what I think of the various protagonists, I could write about it in detail, but it'd ultimately just end up being a carbon copy of this post:

Walkazo said:
I've read up to the DPP arc; still mean to go back and read the rest. The original few interlocking story arcs were my favourite, although I was pleasantly surprised by the abilities of the RS and DPP arcs to get me involved with the new characters nice and quickly. Green/Blue/Gary was always my favourite, but really, the only character that didn't really click for me was Emerald: imho, they should have just stuck with Wally as the permanent third Dex holder, after all that buildup and character development...

Green is amazing (and he wears that cape really well), and Emerald is just about the most annoying shit in the whole thing, or at least in the part that i read. Really, what possessed them to cook up a guy like that and put him in a lead role? I was honestly rooting for the Frontier Brains to destroy and humiliate him, and send him home.

I guess I just have an irrational hatred of smug child characters with way more confidence and arrogance than their (lack of) experience warrants.

Bump I think it would be cool if one day we had like a stream or something where we read pokemon adventures and each of us would be a certain character and speak in their dialogue in character.

Meta Knight said:
Bump I think it would be cool if one day we had like a stream or something where we read pokemon adventures and each of us would be a certain character and speak in their dialogue in character.

good idea tbh

Back