Name for new Nintendo console?

supermariofan

Dry Bowser
Since Nintendo announced a new console is in the works (Even though we just got the Wii U a couple years ago) what do you think they'll call it?

Wii U U
Wii rule and Microsucks (To pay homage to the Nintendo and Sega war)
Wii are running out of ideas Wii just want money

What if there was a console that you could order to be shaped like whatever you want?

Like literally anything?

Nintendo could do that. Also, have the controller shaped like anything you want?

If they have the Wii branding in the new console, then that will cement the fact that whoever names consoles at Nintendo is fucking retarded.

Wait nevermind, they already named an improved model of the 3DS the New 3DS, they already are retarded.

Magikrazy said:
I don't see the difference between having a Wii line and having a Game Boy line.
The difference is with the Game Boy, Nintendo didn't basically abandon the system for the last few years before the successor came out.

Seriously, what the fuck came out for the Wii in 2011 and 2012 besides Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Skyward Sword, and Xenoblade?

The Wii was completely abandoned for a few years and quite frankly, the average consumer (the ones who made it sell over 100 million units), probably stopped giving a damn about the system after a while. Now, I know the Wii did have a large ratio of games per person owning the system, but do you think the parents or grandparents who bought the system in droves because "WOW YOU CAN MOVE THE CONTROLLER AND IT MOVES THE GUY IN THE GAME!" continued to give a shit about the system later on? No, they viewed it as what it was for them, a fad that they maybe used for awhile then got bored and put it in the closet.

And there's also the fact that the Wii name itself is basically tainted, like do you think an average consumer who knows the Wii as "that motion control thing that we used for a few months that's now in the back of the closet" would give a shit about a new system? No, they have no attachment for Nintendo or the Wii brand, they just bought the Wii cause it was the new hotness.

And even for the average gamer, the Wii brand name brings to mind tacked on waggle controls and absolutely shitty online options and such.

So if Nintendo wants to attract more than the Nintendo faithful with their next system, they need to drop the Wii branding from the name of the next system completely.

tl;dr ver: Game Boy wasn't abandoned a few years before successor came out, still had people actually buying and playing it up until the new system came out, etc.

too bad the wii sold very well and brawl and mkwii were massive success

not to mention they were even more important due to modding

but yes Nintendo did abandon the wii

however simply dropping a name of a system isnt going to do anything if they dont make a good system to begin with

xbox did horribly and was probably known as the worst console of its generation, on the other hand the xbox 360 was quite successful and very loved even with its absurd pay monthly for online play rules.

I don't care what it's called as long as Wii isn't in the name.

I don't have a problem with the Wii name itself but I feel the fact that the Wii U was named Wii U was a pretty big factor to it not selling well among the casual crowd, out of a lot of them thinking it's a mere upgrade (or even just a controller) than an entirely new console.

Magikrazy said:
I wonder if people got confused over the Super NES when it came out.
I wouldn't say confused as much frustrated, because Nintendo had made it a lot more clear that it was indeed a new system:

Magikrazy said:
At least Super Nintendo implies that it's an upgrade.

What the fuck does a "U" signify anyway?

edit:
xbox did horribly and was probably known as the worst console of its generation
uh xbox sold a few million more than the gamecube did

and it's not like either of them did horribly, they both sold around 25 million (24 million for xbox and 21 million for gamecube), but it's just that the ps2 was like a giant anomaly in sales, kind of like the wii (and even then for the wii, it only applies in comparison to other nintendo systems, cause without the wii, every nintendo home system has been on a downward trend in sales)

Birdo said:
Magikrazy said:
At least Super Nintendo implies that it's an upgrade.

Upgrade.

and it's not like either of them did horribly, they both sold around 25 million (24 million for xbox and 21 million for gamecube), but it's just that the ps2 was like a giant anomaly in sales, kind of like the wii (and even then for the wii, it only applies in comparison to other nintendo systems, cause without the wii, every nintendo home system has been on a downward trend in sales)

maybe eventually

but it started out worse and was kinda ditched at the last second too

it was pretty surprising to see the vast majority of its library suddenly being ported to pc and all

Umi Sonoda said:
Birdo said:

Upgrade.
Just..... did they intend that?! well of course no..

Nintendo 4DT
using a new 4D technology, putting it in a weird order with a seemingly meaningless name possibly.. eh Direct.. Technology or something. I dunno, I just came up with random letters for an abbreviation.

Back