Pacific Rim: The Animated Series

GalacticPetey

Donkey Kong
This was announced along with the Pacific Rim sequel. According to del Toro, it will be a prequel series and will also feature characters who will appear in Pacific Rim 2.

Maybe this means some Cherno Alpha action.

I wonder what this means for Mako. Her past was already pretty fleshed out so I'm not sure what a prequel to her role would bring to the table.

GalacticPetey said:
- Might be an anime, they're in talks with Japanese studios
- Will feature cameos from characters from the first movie
- Mostly new Jaegers and kaiju
- Currently planned for 13 episodes
- Will not be "episodic" (one long story arc)
hell yeah

i'm sure as hell ready for a pacific rim anime

But we already had one.

It was called Evangelion.

shhh

the robot and monster designs in that show sucked anyway

i think. not that ive seen more than one episode

There are way more parallels than that, such as the fluid that envelops the pilots to strengthen their link with the machine's co-pilot (in evangelion the "co-pilot" is a soul that powers the machine, but that's way too weird for pacific rim), or the stoic blue haired girl who sees the commander as a father figure, and is voiced in the Japanese dub by Megumi Hayashibara.

Also, the movie's ending where Mako recovers Rayleigh from the escape pod thing is totally the ending from Eva episode 6, with a little role reversal thrown in.

Del Toro has said outright that he never watched the show, but it's clear that someone involved in the movie did.

For the record I like Pacific Rim better than Eva anyway.

Yeah, I knew del Toro said he had never seen the show. Travis Beacham worked on the story and screenplay with de Toro so he probably was the one who came up with the similar idea.

No-Face said:
the robot and monster designs in that show sucked anyway

Well the two were going for different looks anyway.

Evangelion was intended as a deconstruction of the mecha genre, so a lot of things in it were meant to make the audience uncomfortable.

The robots and monsters are supposed to look otherworldly and abstract, since they're supposed more similar to Lovecraftian horrors than really tall monsters. In the reboot, they're even rendered in CGI, giving them a dimension the rest of the world doesn't have. It's like if we were to be attacked by a four dimensional monsters, which would be cool but disastrous.

Jim's Now a Blind Cave Salamander! said:
Del Toro has said outright that he never watched the show, but it's clear that someone involved in the movie did.
reminds me of when the creators of atlantis: the lost empire claimed that they intended no connection with castle in the sky or nadia: the secret of blue water

Dr. Javelin said:
the only difference between anime and cartoons is what country makes them
in theory but not in practice. anime has developed some cultural differences, mostly in style and the tropes/cliches they include. also, anime is a lot more explicit than american animation and often a lot more adventurous (you'd never see free! on american tvs. then again, i don't think it's really as risky airing that in japan as it would be in america)

still, it's not as big of a difference as people make it out to be

Meh, still seems....just...uncomfortable. For example if it Cowboy Bepop style/Attack on Titan I'll be fine. But if its a generic "Characters heads get big when they scream, giant eyes, crazy dbz style fight anime" I'll be disappointed.

I'd also be okay with a Last Airbender style animation.

No-Face said:
Dr. Javelin said:
the only difference between anime and cartoons is what country makes them
in theory but not in practice. anime has developed some cultural differences, mostly in style and the tropes/cliches they include. also, anime is a lot more explicit than american animation and often a lot more adventurous (you'd never see free! on american tvs. then again, i don't think it's really as risky airing that in japan as it would be in america)

still, it's not as big of a difference as people make it out to be
i always figured that was all due to the target audience - obviously american studios are more conservative because we have a substantial conservative audience over

Back