Some games lag on Windows 8

Dashbot

BREEE
Hey guys, I had this problem for almost a year now. Didn't find a solution till now. Since I upgraded my window from 7 to 8 and I noticed that some games suffers from great lag. These games includes: Captain Claw, Gold Miner Joe, Sportball Challenge.

Oddly enough, when I set Gold Miner Joe's mode to windowed, the lag seems to disappear. It only appears while in full-screen. I tested all the three games on multiple computers with multiple operating systems. Only computers with windows 8 installed seems to fail. My devices are all up-to-date.

Any ideas on how this can be resolved? thanks.

What kind of games are these?

And yeah, you should try to avoid Win 8 at all costs.

Those are old refreshing games. And I have to say Windows 8 is a lot faster than Windows 7 in everything, except these games.

Similar question was asked here:
http://windowsforum.com/threads/help-old-games-lags.108983/

Maybe try some of the stuff suggested there?

Yeah saw this one, updated my graphic card and still no luck.. I just found that I can play without lag if I disabled DirectVideo access as for Claw, play in windowed as for Gold Miner Joe. The third is still unplayable though.

Windows 8 has some problems with Game Maker games - I've learned that since getting this new laptop with the operating system. W8 has a weird bug where if two sounds in a Game Maker game are playing at the same time, the game will crash.

Sometimes, when I get lag in games like Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2, I can restart my computer and they will boot lag-free.

Pyro said:
Windows 8 has some problems with Game Maker games - I've learned that since getting this new laptop with the operating system. W8 has a weird bug where if two sounds in a Game Maker game are playing at the same time, the game will crash.

Sometimes, when I get lag in games like Mega Man: Day in the Limelight 2, I can restart my computer and they will boot lag-free.
I don't think the games he listed are GM games.

Megaman said:
Yeah saw this one, updated my graphic card and still no luck.. I just found that I can play without lag if I disabled DirectVideo access as for Claw, play in windowed as for Gold Miner Joe. The third is still unplayable though.
Have you tried running the games without anything else running?

Yes, I tried to disable every program in the background (except for the sound and graphic programs).. Still, it lags.

oh wow, a 2 year bump, but a necessary one, because I figured out how to fix this shit.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_directx_control_panel.html

Use this link to download the Microsoft DirectX control panel, run it as an administrator and uncheck "Allow hardware acceleration" on both Direct3D and DirectDraw tabs. This will fix all the problems windows 8 introduced.

Bro note: this either fixes or breaks the game, Most of my games ran flawlessly after using this thing, a single one of them doesn't want to load anymore. Do not mess around with any other option for your sake.

Back