Medusa (animated movie directed by Lauren Faust)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
unnamed.jpg

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sony-pictures-animation-announces-new-original-feature-project-medusa-with-emmy-winner-lauren-faust-to-direct-261989811.html

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/06/lauren-faust-working-on-new-feature.html

That's right! Lauren Faust, animator of movies such as Cats Don't Dance and The Iron Giant, as well as writer on shows such as The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Wander Over Yonder, as well as the creator and former showrunner of a certain mega-popular show I'm sure you're all familiar with ;) has signed a deal with Sony Pictures Animation to direct a movie based on Medusa of Greek myths!

A quote from Lauren herself:

“Todd and Holly's version of the tale of Medusa is filled with so many of my favorite ideas to work with: magic, mythology, humor and strong, funny, extremely relatable characters. I was excited by the idea of showing the comedy behind an otherwise horrific monster, and I was really drawn to the writer's unique re- imagining of Greek mythology. In our story, we meet Medusa as a young human, who, like so many of us, is overwhelmed with trying to fit a certain mold to please others. Her resulting popularity ticks off the wrong Goddess who turns her into the snake-haired monster we all know and fear. Medusa sets out on a quest to reverse this curse with the help of a goofy team of oddball and misfit mythological creatures who help her learn that what makes you different is, in fact, what makes you strong.”

...You know, with this, as well as Genndy Tartakovsky (creator of Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Sym-Bionic Titan) directing Hotel Transylvania, it's upcoming sequel, as well as a movie based on Popeye and even his own creation called Can You Imagine?, I'm suddenly gaining a lot of respect for Sony's animation department, giving these legends of television animation a chance to direct feature-length theatrical movies! Hell, they're even responsible for Cloud With a Chance of Meatballs and the sequel (though we kind of have the genius pair of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to thank for those two), as well as Arthur Christmas, which I heard was also pretty good! All this almost kind of makes up for those stupid-ass Smurfs movies...

...So yeah, another animated movie to keep an eye out for in the future!

Dr. Javelin said:
ah, i think this would be a good time to point something out to you

i recently heard the opinion that lauren faust was "like the george lucas of children's cartoons" (give him a listen, it'll make sense). what are your thoughts on that?
I'm well aware that Lauren Faust isn't perfect. Though I don't know about Jerry's comments on Lauren Faust and subtlety (also, *bleep* him for not liking Wander Over Yonder), I DO know that it was her decision to have the train be pulled by horses, as well as originally having apple-bucking be apple-bumping, in which ponies would knock down apples by ramming into trees with their HEADS. Not everything she has works out, sometimes these things happen.

However, she wrote some of great episodes of The Powerpuff Girls, as well as Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (I think), and she's flat-out written the best episodes of Wander Over Yonder, so I have great faith that this movie will be at least decent.

alright, i was just wondering what you'd think of that

also don't mind jerry, he just likes having super negative opinions and laughing when people are offended by them. joshscorcher's better at compromising.

Ehhhhhhhh, I don't like the sound of this movie. Like it's just personal issues. The myth of Medusa is brutal and tragic, and I really like it that way. But of course, Faust is not going to make a movie like that. Also, this reminds me a lot of Disney's Herculeus, which is pretty good, but for the life of me, I cannot get over how innacurate it is to the original myth, starting with the very first minute.

Toothless said:
Ehhhhhhhh, I don't like the sound of this movie. Like it's just personal issues. The myth of Medusa is brutal and tragic, and I really like it that way. But of course, Faust is not going to make a movie like that. Also, this reminds me a lot of Disney's Herculeus, which is pretty good, but for the life of me, I cannot get over how innacurate it is to the original myth, starting with the very first minute.
It had some bitchen songs though

Back