Nazo no Murasame Jō/The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
In April 14, 1986, a game was released for the Famicom Disk System known as "Nazo no Murasame-Jō" (or Murasame-Jou), which means "The Riddle of Murasame Castle". In it, a samurai apprentice named Takamaru has been tasked to investigate several castles, each controlled by evil/possessed lords who are working with a strange/evil creture that fell from the sky and took over the titular Murasame Castle and the sacred stone held within. Takamaru must fight off ninjas and other fierce warriors in order to bring peace back to Edo-era Japan! Here's... pretty much the game in its entirety:

Said game has never been released outside of Japan... so you're probably wondering, why even bring up such an obscure game? Well, for one thing, there are tons of references to this game in international versions of other games. For example, in Pikmin 2, one can find an actual Nazo no Murasame-Jo disk as a treasure:

cosmic-archive.png

Takamaru is also a supporting character (along with Birdo and Little Mac, among others) in another Japanese-exclusive game, Captain Rainbow:

The main tune of the game, Douchuumen, is also in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (in which, Takamaru is also a sticker):

In WarioWare D.I.Y., one can also unlock a Nazo no Murasame-Jo microgame, but I can't find a picture or video of that... What I CAN show you is how a Mrasame Castle mode, with Takamaru as an exclusive playable character, was part of the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3!

And most recently, there's an attraction/single-player game called Takamaru's Ninja Castle in NintendoLand!

But really, the ACTUAL reason I'm making this topic is that, for the first time, Nintendo will finally be releasing this game outside of Japan! ...In Europe, on the 3DS Virtual Console:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/229058-this-week-s-european-downloads-may-29-mario-kart-8-muramase-castle-and-many-offers

...Hey, who knows, if it's popular there, maybe it'll also be released in North America as well! For anyone who lives in Europe, tell me what it's like!

...Takamaru for Super Smash Bros. 4.

ああ、謎の村雨城。I think (could be wrong) it's more along the lines of "The Mysterious Murasame Castle." I also think that 村雨城の謎 (Murasame-jou no nazo) would be how to say "The Riddle of Murasame Castle."

The D.I.Y. microgame you refer to is only in the Japanese version.

In other versions, it's replaced by a Pikmin microgame.

Mario4Ever said:
ああ、謎の村雨城。I think (could be wrong) it's more along the lines of "The Mysterious Murasame Castle." I also think that 村雨城の謎 (Murasame-jou no nazo) would be how to say "The Riddle of Murasame Castle."
Well, shows how much I know about Japanese.

Magikrazy said:

Strange, considering the game's been referenced in other international games both before and after. ...I should probably try out that game, I like the WarioWare series.

Smashgoom202 said:
Magikrazy said:

Strange, considering the game's been referenced in other international games both before and after. ...I should probably try out that game, I like the WarioWare series.
It is my favorite WarioWare game ever.

Big news for anyone who cares: The Mysterious Murasame Castle is coming to the North American Nintendo 3DS eShop August 7!

http://nintendoeverything.com/the-mysterious-murasame-castle-hitting-the-north-american-3ds-eshop-on-august-7/

Fantastic! I'll be sure to get it as soon as it becomes available!

,,,Think this could mean anything for Takamaru in Super Smash Bros.?

Bumping because it's been confirmed to be released in North America on August 7th:

ok nevermind

GalacticPetey said:
Smashgoom202 said:
,,,Think this could mean anything for Takamaru in Super Smash Bros.?
Oh he's in Smash alright.

As an assist trophy.
WELP!

Takamaru_SSB4.jpg

So much for that, I guess.

Isn't it weird, though, that I made this post about the game and pondered if he'll be playable, just to have him deconfirmed the next day?

I will say this, though, I'm actually kind of glad that I limited the characters I want to just two choices (Ridley from Metroid and Krystal from Star Fox), since Takamaru was my number 3, and I probably would have been more disappointed then I am now if I had still really wanted him. I'm still a tad disappointed, but I'm not as disappointed as I would be if Krystal or (ESPECIALLY) Ridley wasn't playable.

...This does make me wonder why Takamaru and his game are getting so much attention lately. If it's not because he'll be a playable character in Super Smash Bros., perhaps it's because... they're making a new game?! :eek:

So apparently there's some kind of "movement" starting called "Operation Murasame Ca$ale", and it's all about making sure The Mysterious Murasame Castle becomes popular overseas, perhaps in the hopes of seeing a possible sequel to the game, or having Takamaru playable in the next Super Smash Bros. I don't know if it'll be THAT successful, but I'll definitely pitch in however I can, up to and including getting the game when it comes to the 3DS eShop next week!

Here's the main site/tumblr page for the movement:

http://operationmurasamecasale.tumblr.com/

Back