Peanuts: The Movie (animated with CG... in 3D)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
...Yeah, I think the general reaction to something like this would be about as bad as you'd expect... Then you see the teaser:

Surprised there aren't more dislikes on this video... then again, it DOES have a very interesting design/look to it; like, it's 3D, but keeps it's traditional 2D look. It's almost like Paper Mario or something. I rather like it, the same way I liked the animation style of The LEGO Movie (though in that case, there was a reason behind the animation style, but I won't spoil why).

It's still up in the air how the actual movie will go down, and if it'll keep to Charles Schutz's tone for the original comic and specials, but for now, I'm... mostly pleased with how things are looking so far. It's obvious that they've put a lot of thought and effort into it, given the choice in how to animate the characters.

People are running out of ideas for movies. But I adore the Peanuts, and how bad could they mess this up?

小龙怪 said:
People are running out of ideas for movies.
This is a common complaint, and I just want to dispel it once and for all: HOLLYWOOD IS NOT RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!! ...What they're running out of, is stuff that will guarantee ticket sales and big-time box office successes, hence why they go for old properties that people have heard of. The "logic", such that it is, is that if a lot of people have heard of it, the more successful it'll be, hence why stuff like this gets greenlit as opposed to more original ideas.

小龙怪 said:
But I adore the Peanuts, and how bad could they mess this up?
...you really need to ask, given what else Hollywood has done to nostalgic properties like this? Hell, the people who are making this movie previously made The Lorax!

...That being said, this feels like a step in the right direction.

Smashgoom202 said:
小龙怪 said:
People are running out of ideas for movies.
This is a common complaint, and I just want to dispel it once and for all: HOLLYWOOD IS NOT RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS!!! ...What they're running out of, is stuff that will guarantee ticket sales and big-time box office successes, hence why they go for old properties that people have heard of. The "logic", such that it is, is that if a lot of people have heard of it, the more successful it'll be, hence why stuff like this gets greenlit as opposed to more original ideas.
Then in that case, they should stop.

Smashgoom202 said:
小龙怪 said:
But I adore the Peanuts, and how bad could they mess this up?
...you really need to ask, given what else Hollywood has done to nostalgic properties like this? Hell, the people who are making this movie previously made The Lorax!
...That being said, this feels like a step in the right direction.
I have always meant to watch that movie, but I haven't yet. Which is a shame, because The Lorax is my favorite Dr. Seuss book.

Yeah, bad reboot of old nostalgic property is bad. I don't care if it's the best movie in the world, we all know why it's made. To sell more copies of the original stuff.

Oh, and I was never a fan of Peanuts in the first place, so it's not like I really care for it.

I think it looks cute. Of course, it's only a teaser trailer, but from what it looks like, it looks adorable. I'm waiting until it comes out to judge.

In all honesty it looks alright. It looks like a near perfect blend of 2D and 3D actually. Can we say 2.5D for a film for once? (I know Smash Bros. is a 2.5D game).

It also seems like it's going to follow the source material pretty well.

i'm of the opinion that peanuts was overrated to begin with; there are much better cartoons like dilbert, pearls before swine, calvin and hobbes. and i thought the movies were only somewhat entertaining to begin with

but that's just my opinion

Ugh I hate when people say the only reason they don't like something is because they are overrated.

But I would have to agree with you that Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic, with Peanuts in a very close second place.

小龙怪 said:
Ugh I hate when people say the only reason they don't like something is because they are overrated.
i don't hate it because it's overrated, i find it overrated because i didn't really enjoy it that much
小龙怪 said:
But I would have to agree with you that Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic, with Peanuts in a very close second place.
Peanuts is a decidedly mediocre comic that rarely makes me laugh. Dilbert almost always has me laughing, as do Calvin and Hobbes, Pearls Before Swine, and Foxtrot.

I realize this is an opinion thing, so I'm not really adamant that Peanuts is the worst comic ever, but I really don't get why so many people treat it as one of the classics of comics.

i've never really like peanuts, but i'll reserve judgement until we see more

i for one don't usually care if a movie is based off of something else as long as it's good (though that's usually not the case), but whatever

I think the reason Peanuts isnt always a "funny" comic or a "funny show" is because it isnt supposed to be. Its a comic about kids trying to be adults and to act like adults, and being an adult isnt always funny. The comic isnt meant to get a "haha" laugh all the time, its supposed to be heart warming, because we've all been there trying to be more adult than we are or get by in a world that thinks we're childish.

Thats why adults are never portrayed in the Peanuts, not because they arnt there, but its about kids growing up and dealing with adult problems from the perspective of a kid.

i guess so, but calvin and hobbes (kinda) did the same thing but funnier

idk it's just never appealed to me, it's only occasionally funny

never really cared for it so i doubt ill actually see it

so eh

kinda weird for me as im usually into animated movies.

Purple Yoshi said:
Yeah, bad reboot of old nostalgic property is bad. I don't care if it's the best movie in the world, we all know why it's made. To sell more copies of the original stuff.

Oh, and I was never a fan of Peanuts in the first place, so it's not like I really care for it.
Charles Schutz's son and grandson are supposedly writing for it, not to mention, they're at least TRYING to keep the original style and tone of the cartoons and comics here, that's more then, say, any given Dr. Suess movie we've seen.

Also, the fact that you don't really like Peanuts kind of wavers any right you have to complain/diss this movie otherwise, I feel.

Smashgoom202 said:
Also, the fact that you don't really like Peanuts kind of wavers any right you have to complain/diss this movie otherwise, I feel.

Criticism of a film or other medium is not restricted to the people who like it.

Smashgoom202 said:
Purple Yoshi said:

Charles Schutz's son and grandson are supposedly writing for it, not to mention, they're at least TRYING to keep the original style and tone of the cartoons and comics here
That is somewhat slightly reassuring.

Junketsu said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Criticism of a film or other medium is not restricted to the people who like it.
yeah

for all i know, this could turn out to be one of my favorite movies even though i don't really enjoy the comic strip. and maybe people who do will hate it, who knows

PeskyPlumbers64 said:
For some reason, the art style really reminds me of Paper Mario.
I think I said pretty much the same thing. And in that respect, I find the whole 3D art direction appealing.

Back