Mega Man 9

ChaosNinji said:
He only has one type of attack, but since you never know when he’ll jump and when he’ll shoot, you’re gonna have a rough time evading all of his Plug Balls. There will often be two Plug Balls at the same time, so evading the once passing below you, the one falling above you while evading
Plug Man jumping at you all the same time is really difficult.

If you use the Jewel Satellite, you won't have to worry about the Plug Balls. They'll bounce right off.

I'm sorry to bump such an old topic, but I really feel the need to... get something off my chest. For the most part, Mega Man 9 is a great game. It did a good job of imitating the style of the classic, 8-bit games and getting Mega Man back to his roots. The graphics were good, the sound/music, gameplay, and even the storyline (even though there are people who hate it, since there was no connection to the Mega Man X series. I, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less). However, I DO happen to have some gripes with this game. It's mainly because they decided to remove the Charge Beam and Slide-Kick abilities, which Mega Man has had for over TEN YEARS STRAIGHT, since according to Keiji Inafune, those moves were "unnecessary". Yes, Proto Man might have had those abilities, but it just wasn't quite the same, since the Charge Beam was considerably weaker than how Mega Man's was in Mega Man 5 through Mega Man & Bass. Instead, it was more like the one in Mega Man 4.

Also, another gripe I have with the game is the lack of Bass and Treble. Bass happens to be my favorite character in the series, and it pisses me off to no end, that Capcom would blatantly disregard him the way they did, by not putting him in the game, and then slapping his blueprints in the ending to throw it in peoples' faces. It disappointed me even more, when they got peoples' hopes up, making it seem as if he would appear in the Special Stage, but instead, it was that piece of crap police robot, Fake Man (GOD, that's a stupid name). Seriously, what does HE have over Bass? Fake Man is NOTHING. All he has is an average Buster-Shot ability, as well as just running and jumping. Honestly, this is Mega Man 9. It makes NO sense whatseover, as to why Bass wasn't included in this game. Especially if people try using the "storyline" excuse, saying that he had no relevance to it, because the same thing could be said about Proto Man. He had NO story at ALL, despite being a playable character. But according to Capcom (in the booklet that came with the Arranged Album for Mega Man 9), Bass was supposedly getting upgraded (which was most likely something they came up with at the last minute).

Don't get me wrong, I still like the game. I'm just disappointed that Capcom cared very little about what other Mega Man fans wanted, besides just the Mega Man 2 fanatics. You know, the ones who act as if it's the best thing since sliced bread? The people who act like no other game in the series mattered, but that one (despite the fact that Mega Man 3 was tons better than it)? I happen to like Mega Man 2, myself, but I also feel that it's a bit overrated. For some reason, it annoys me whenever I hear things about Mega Man 9 being a "true successor" to Mega Man 2.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but exactly what is a "necropost"? I've never seen anyone use that term before.

SolarBlaze said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but exactly what is a "necropost"? I've never seen anyone use that term before.

Bumping an old topic.

However, this topic isn't absurdly old and is about Mega Man, so it's cool.

Nov 8 -> Feb 10 = necropost, even if it is Megaman.

But if it's defying the one-month rule, it's cool.

Ghost Jam said:
Wha...?

Smartass27 said:

It's breaking the one-month rule, and necroposting

So, basically, I was supposed to start a new topic in order to get that off my chest? Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to create a new thread of the same thing, when this was only on the second page (and wasn't very far down, at that). Also, my above post was a completely relevant, on-topic revival. I don't see the harm in that at all.

SolarBlaze said:
So, bascially, I was supposed to start a new topic in order to get that off my chest? Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to create a new thread of the same thing, when this was only on the second page (and wasn't very far down, at that). Also, my above post as a completely relevent, on-topic revival. I don't see the harm in that at all.
I know, I was think something similar to that too.

Halvin said:
Ghost Jam said:
Wha...?

Smartass27 said:

It's breaking the one-month rule, and necroposting
At least he actually added something to the topic though. Most bumps that get locked are really pointless posts or are very minimal and add nothing to the topic. It's cool.

SolarBlaze said:
So, bascially, I was supposed to start a new topic in order to get that off my chest? Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to create a new thread of the same thing, when this was only on the second page (and wasn't very far down, at that). Also, my above post as a completely relevent, on-topic revival. I don't see the harm in that at all.
Our forum rules are really weird. I agree with you. Frankly, if a topic has something added to it (even after a month has passed), it's free to be left unlocked. You did fine. Just don't post "I like this game!" or something if a topic is past 30 days old.

Now, more on-topic: When I had my Wii, I was saving up my Wii points to buy this. The game looks really great, from what I've seen. Many people say that it's worth purchasing, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It would've been my first MegaMan game too, which would've been cool.

However, SolarBlaze's detailed review of the game makes me question the actual greatness of the game in comparison to other MegaMan games. It kind of makes me wonder if I should play MegaMan 9 and avoid all other MM games, or if I should do things the other way around.

Nonetheless, if I get a Wii again, I'll likely purchase it.

SolarBlaze said:
So, basically, I was supposed to start a new topic in order to get that off my chest? Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to create a new thread of the same thing, when this was only on the second page (and wasn't very far down, at that). Also, my above post was a completely relevant, on-topic revival. I don't see the harm in that at all.
I agree, but apparently, it's a rule. I've made relevant, on-topic revivals that led to locks too.

I thought we already explained that if a valid addition to the topic was added, and it's not insanly old, that it was fine?

It's mainly because they decided to remove the Charge Beam and Slide-Kick abilities, which Mega Man has had for over TEN YEARS STRAIGHT, since according to Keiji Inafune, those moves were "unnecessary". Yes, Proto Man might have had those abilities, but it just wasn't quite the same, since the Charge Beam was considerably weaker than how Mega Man's was in Mega Man 5 through Mega Man & Bass. Instead, it was more like the one in Mega Man 4.

The game is based on Mega Man 2, which had none of those features, and was arguably the best in the series.

Also, another gripe I have with the game is the lack of Bass and Treble. Bass happens to be my favorite character in the series, and it pisses me off to no end, that Capcom would blatantly disregard him the way they did, by not putting him in the game, and then slapping his blueprints in the ending to throw it in peoples' faces. It disappointed me even more, when they got peoples' hopes up, making it seem as if he would appear in the Special Stage, but instead, it was that piece of crap police robot, Fake Man (GOD, that's a stupid name). Seriously, what does HE have over Bass? Fake Man is NOTHING. All he has is an average Buster-Shot ability, as well as just running and jumping. Honestly, this is Mega Man 9. It makes NO sense whatseover, as to why Bass wasn't included in this game. Especially if people try using the "storyline" excuse, saying that he had no relevance to it, because the same thing could be said about Proto Man. He had NO story at ALL, despite being a playable character. But according to Capcom (in the booklet that came with the Arranged Album for Mega Man 9), Bass was supposedly getting upgraded (which was most likely something they came up with at the last minute).

^See above

Also, I agree that Fake Man is pretty bad.

For some reason, it annoys me whenever I hear things about Mega Man 9 being a "true successor" to Mega Man 2.

^See above

You have to understand that this is not their next full-fledged game. This is a throwback to Mega Man 2. It's nearly identical to Mega Man 2 in gameplay mechanics, and was meant to be nostalgic.

It's on WiiWare. What can you expect?

Free Loader said:
Man, I lost interesting in this game before I could beat Wily's level.
I can't tell what's worse, my attention span, or how bad I am at video games?
AzureBlade49 says "Even though it's short, it's still epic. I recamend you should buy it if you are a Megamen fan", or something close to that.

Free Loader said:
What does that have to do with my post?
You lost interst in it, so I pointed out you probilly don't like Mega Man 9 that much.

Back