Steven Universe

"every gem deserves to be reformed"

*bubbles bismuth*

i don't get why peridot was more deserving of redemption than bismuth

Nabber said:

*bubbles bismuth*

i think its telling enough that the end result would've been the same even if she was given more of a chance to explain herself because even after steven told the rest of the CGs the truth, they decided to keep her bubbled. like edo said this was an excellent episode for cracking the up-until-now perfect pillar that is rose quartz, and i feel that we will see bismuth again, but not until steven finally comes to terms with what his mother's plan and whether bismuth will be accepting of his own developed ideals now that she knows he isn't rose. there's still that minor lapis/bismuth interaction that i hope they don't forget about either.

peridot's redemption was worth it simply for the twitter alone, but she's immature, non-threatening and her flaws weren't nearly as morally ambiguous as bismuth's that it was easy enough for steven to overlook them. not to mention that this is the first time steven has been given the choice to redeem someone who he strongly doesn't agree with at the moment, and he chose to bubble her. the real challenge to the show's status quo and the answer to whether bismuth was fairly treated is seeing how jasper will fare. (then again the situation might be entirely different)

simply and obviously put, bismuth was bussed because the show isn't ready for her to be returned right now. there's no real 'war' for bismuth to be fighting unless you count jasper as a threat lmao. she served a plot-point to call rose's life and hence steven's personal morals into question, something the show has danced around lightly for a while now but has now addressed it directly. if anything, rose quartz will need a redemption now lol, but nothing is saying bismuth won't certainly get her chance later once steven has come to terms with who he is. there was a reason bismuth and steven had that 1 to 1 talk about identity.

Nabber said:

*bubbles bismuth*

There's a very significant difference between Peridot and Bismuth. Bismuth is old, has seen the worst of the war and had to adapt to those experiences. That's where her extreme stance comes from. Peridot on the other hand is very young by gem standards, and her "evil" tendencies were a result of little exposure to things outside the homeworld ideology.

Essentially, Bismuth is an old soldier who made her own choices and is completely set in her way, whereas Peridot is pretty much a kid who was just parroting whatever her parents said because she didn't know any better. It's way easier to redeem someone who doesn't even understand half of what she's saying as opposed to someone who understands perfectly and embraces her beliefs because of that.

So I guess that means Bismuth disproves the theory that homeworld is secretly fighting a war against polymorphic metals with male avatars somewhere in space.

That's good, I never really liked that theory.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

These episodes had everything, absolutely everything I wanted to see

Amythest/Steven Fusion that was adorable as hell, Smoky Quartz!
Peridot/Lapis being dorks at the barn, meepmorps are the new hotness
THAT LORE DROP THAT JASPER WAS PINK DIAMOND'S SERVANT
THAT SUBSEQUENT JASPER CORRUPTION THIS IS IT LUIGI

the RUBIES as well

HO
LY
FUCK

Dr. Alphys said:
K said:
Steven turning his bubble into a spike ball was a neat touch. I wonder if Amethyst/Steven have a spiked mace as their fusion (sugilite technically has one but ehhhhhhh)

Well, the bubble isn't really Steven's weapon, the shield is.

So I pondered for a while what sort of weapon a shield and a whip would make together. Steven and Amethyst are both characters with somewhat of a childish streak, so... what if it's a Yoyo? That could be fun.
ding ding ding we have a winner

they were a fun fusion, not as good as opal but better than sardonyx imo

K said:
i'd like to add to this:

smokey quartz being dedicated to puns and yoyos instantly makes them one of the best fusions

i really love pretty much everything about these two episodes

-more peridot
-more lapis
-more peridot/lapis
-camp pining hearts
-jasper finally (almost, maybe) realizing that she's weaker because she cuts off relationships with people/is a dickhead
-corruption is contagious
-i guess you can force fusions with other gems?
-LORE
-pink??? diamond???
-probably other stuff im forgetting
-o shit rubies

that was one hell of an episode

"...what you did to my diamond..."
"yellow diamond?"
"NO, PINK DIAMOND!"

what exactly did rose do with pink diamond? bubble her? shatter her?
...turn her into a lion?

also can i just say how cartoon network does its best to make me not want to watch on their channel

like, why show a trailer for an episode that shows major plot points a minute before the episode premieres

K said:

These episodes had everything, absolutely everything I wanted to see

Amythest/Steven Fusion that was adorable as hell, Smoky Quartz!
Peridot/Lapis being dorks at the barn, meepmorps are the new hotness
THAT LORE DROP THAT JASPER WAS PINK DIAMOND'S SERVANT
THAT SUBSEQUENT JASPER CORRUPTION THIS IS IT LUIGI

the RUBIES as well

HO
LY
FUCK

Dr. Alphys said:
K said:
Steven turning his bubble into a spike ball was a neat touch. I wonder if Amethyst/Steven have a spiked mace as their fusion (sugilite technically has one but ehhhhhhh)

Well, the bubble isn't really Steven's weapon, the shield is.

So I pondered for a while what sort of weapon a shield and a whip would make together. Steven and Amethyst are both characters with somewhat of a childish streak, so... what if it's a Yoyo? That could be fun.
ding ding ding we have a winner

they were a fun fusion, not as good as opal but better than sardonyx imo

Yeah, Smoky Quartz is pretty great. I love their casual confidence, and the scene leading up to them with Steven telling Amethyst to stop trying to be Jasper was fantastic too. Very engaging execution. I had to watch the episode again immediately after I finished, and I might even do it again now.

Dr. Alphys said:

Yus!

imma re-watch the whole series once the bomb is over because i want to refresh myself on everything now that we have this /lore/

oh god i can't wait to see garnets and especially pearl's reactions once they learn that amethyst and steven fused
the thirst will awaken

alsoalsoalsoalsoalsoalso

rank fusions:

Opal
Smoky Quartz
Sardonyx
Alexandrite
Malachite
Sugilite

not including garnet and stevonnie, or rainbow quartz since we hardly know a thing about her

K said:
oh god i can't wait to see garnets (...) reactions once they learn that amethyst and steven fused

tumblr_inline_nl64l61Y9Z1t47ohm.jpg

K said:
alsoalsoalsoalsoalsoalso

rank fusions:

Opal
Smoky Quartz
Sardonyx
Alexandrite
Malachite
Sugilite

not including garnet and stevonnie, or rainbow quartz since we hardly know a thing about her

Opal
Smoky Quartz / Stevonnie
Sugilite
Alexandrite
Sardonyx
Malachite

Not including Garnet and Rainbow Quartz for the same reason, but I think Stevonnie can be included.

Ok, so let's predict the eventual weapons for Steven x Garnet and Steven x Pearl. I think Steven x Pearl's weapon will be a spinning top and I think Steven x Garnet will be just a straight up more powerful discus/frisbee since Steven has utilized his shield like that already and I can't think of any creative fist + shield combinations.

I don't know if Lapis or Peridot have defined weapons (water bending and metal bending aren't exactly weapons), so I don't know what to expect from them if they eventually fuse with any of the others.

Dr. Alphys said:
Opal
Smoky Quartz / Stevonnie
Sugilite
Alexandrite
Sardonyx
Malachite

Not including Garnet and Rainbow Quartz for the same reason, but I think Stevonnie can be included.
ok if i was to include stevonnie they'd be just under smoky

Oboro said:
Ok, so let's predict the eventual weapons for Steven x Garnet and Steven x Pearl. I think Steven x Pearl's weapon will be a spinning top and I think Steven x Garnet will be just a straight up more powerful discus/frisbee since Steven has utilized his shield like that already and I can't think of any creative fist + shield combinations.

I don't know if Lapis or Peridot have defined weapons (water bending and metal bending aren't exactly weapons), so I don't know what to expect from them if they eventually fuse with any of the others.
Shield + Spear = Umbrella. it would be really fitting for rainbow quartz imo

yeah Garnet+Steven is a little trickier, literally all I'm thinking of is a shield gauntlet which would basically be garnet's gauntlets but with shields on them

lapis and peridot are trickier since peridot can't summon a weapon and we've never seen lapis try it (even as malachite all they did was use the water wings and jasper's helmet). with water + metalbending maybe they could summon mercury or something

Oh yeah, Umbrella could work too and it can function as a top if turned upside down. I like the idea of Steven's fusions having unorthodox weapons.

K said:
Shield + Spear = Umbrella. it would be really fitting for rainbow quartz imo
:peach:

K said:
a shield gauntlet which would basically be garnet's gauntlets but with shields on them
I've seen arm-mounted shields in at least one other medium, so it's not too farfetched. (Pokemon reference stolen) Like at least twice in Bionicle's first run.

No guys, you have it all wrong. Rainbow Quartz' weapon is a satellite dish. Her power is to get better TV reception.

Or maybe if Steven + Amethyst --> Ness, then Steven + Pearl --> Paula and it's a frying pan.

Steven + Garnet could have something like the disk launcher glove Jade uses in Beyond Good & Evil.

Oboro said:

Based on the information we have, it is likely that weapon summoning is an ability heavily associated with quartzes (with Rose's band of misfits using it being a break of homeworld convention). So like, while Peridot and Lapis would probably be able to learn the technique, right now they do not have weapons.

As for their powers, I could imagine their fusion to involve mercury in some form?

K said:
oh god i can't wait to see garnets and especially pearl's reactions once they learn that amethyst and steven fused
the thirst will awaken

Garnet and Pearl's reaction to Smokey Quartz:

tumblr_obmk98FUvg1uquj6go3_1280.png

If you want to watch it:

that was relatively spoiler free and worth the watch coming off of earthlings. Everyone is adorable but pearl was especially great lmao

cant wait for that ep

holy crap

that sudden pink diamond lore was incredible, i don't think it's true that rose quartz shattered pink diamond (literally bismuth set that part of rose's character up) but /something/ happened to her

also rip steven

The Ruby did say she saw it happen with her own eye. But we don't know how close she was when she saw it. For all we know, it was an accident, or maybe PD wasn't even shattered. Who knows?

this foreshadowing tho
a9e.png

Back