Steven Universe

unpopular opinion, but i dont like it when shows dedicate episodes to entirely singing

keyword: entirely

its not a bad episode on its own merits, im just not a fan although this is the first(?) time it's happened so im not going to be too down on it

edit:
Dr. Alphys said:
Great concept for an episode. To be honest though, I'd have liked if there was a bit more focus devoted to the actual conversation between Pearl and Greg. I mean, there's been years of tension between them, and the way it was resolved in just a couple lines felt kind of... I don't know, lackluster.
to be honest, this isn't the first time where i felt the resolution for the problem came too quickly

for example, the cluster had been talked about for god knows how many episodes and was foreshadowed to be this absolutely devastating amalgamation of gems that was capable of completely destroying the earth in seconds....................yet the whole problem is resolved in like two minutes by steven bubbling it....

there was a lot of tension and hype with very little payoff, imo. i guess the problem is trying to cram all this info and action into 11 minutes of air time, but it just doesnt work some of the time

maybe its just me

Oboro said:
to be honest, this isn't the first time where i felt the resolution for the problem came too quickly

for example, the cluster had been talked about for god knows how many episodes and was foreshadowed to be this absolutely devastating amalgamation of gems that was capable of completely destroying the earth in seconds....................yet the whole problem is resolved in like two minutes by steven bubbling it....

there was a lot of tension and hype with very little payoff, imo. i guess the problem is trying to cram all this info and action into 11 minutes of air time, but it just doesnt work some of the time

maybe its just me

No, I thought something like that about the cluster resolution as well. When they were in the drill and Peridot said something along the lines of "It'll still take several hours to reach the cluster", followed very shortly by "Ok, we're here", I was kind of taken aback.

I mean, granted, it's hard to do much with two people stuck inside a drill, but the eventual resolution came so fast, it almost seemed trivial.

As for the song issue: I feel the same way. I'm not the biggest musical fan for that reason, and I prefer quality over quantity. What I like about this show is that, when it does a song, it's usually used to make particular character moments stand out. Pearl's solo song from Mr. Greg fits that criterium, but for the other three I think I'd have rather had normal dialogue instead. There's also the issue of oversaturation. Having too many songs makes the really good song seem less remarkable.

But yeah, this was the first episode to go full-on musical. Maybe they were just experimenting, which isn't a bad thing.

steven universe does have trouble with resolving things, but that's more or less an inherent problem of the 11 minute format. honestly, i'm not sure removing songs would have really helped that case

i'm not crazy about musical episodes but i thought this one was cute and it seemed like a 1-off so i was fine with it

I haven't been able to wach any of the new eps and i've been avoiding spoilers since the first lot so

HOLY SHIT WHAT

Well that was anime as fuck.

Ranking of this week's episode: Mr. Greg > Too Short To Ride=Beach City Drift > Drop Beat Dad > Steven Floats > The New Lars

Disclaimer: New episode is actually ok. It just happens to have cars in it.

So week one of four is complete. I would say...

Mr. Greg >>> Too Short To Ride > Beach City Drift > Steven Floats > Drop Beat Dad >>> The New Lars

It obviously was the week of showing most of the "filler" side-character stuff. We'll get more of that next week too, but at least not as much. The New Lars was just...weird. Not as bad as Frybo, but still really weird. Looking forward to next week though, especially "Monster Reunion" and "Alone at Sea"! (Especially with more Lapis <3)

i just watched the eps yesterday:

Drop Beat Dad - Sour Cream is a good character. also $10 million dollars lol
Mr. Greg - I'm not really sure I liked the way the musical was handled in such a small amount of time, the first song and Pearl's song were excellent but there wasn't as much substance in the others. I'm assuming the last song did not contain the full conversation that Greg and Pearl had but yeah this probably wasn't the best episode to begin to resolve the tension between those two at least imo. Again, Pearl's song was excellent.
The New Lars - stupid episode in concept and execution. It was creepy as hell and at about the halfway mark I was expecting some kind of lesson for Steven and/or Lars but nope. Steven shouldn't have been fully defended for his actions because occupying a person's body clearly had a drastic effect on those around him, and Lars should've gone through /some/ kind of change by the end because he just learned how flat-out hated he was. Worst ep of the week.
Too Short to Ride - CUTE CUTE CUTE CUTE AND PERIDOT CAN METALBEND AND she has a shitpost twitter she is the BEST CHARACTER
Beach City Drift - most of the references if any were dropped on me and stevonnie's VA was weird but it was an ok episode otherwise.

Mr. Greg = Too Short to Ride > Beach City Drift > Drop Beat Dad >>>> The New Lars

So...

So we got Restaurant Wars, Kiki's Delivery Pizza, Monster Reunion, Alone at Sea, and Greg the Babysitter this week. Alone at Sea is being storyboarded by Rebecca Sugar, and it's a Lapis episode, so I'll probably be dead after the episode from all the emotions enveloped in the episode.

I've seen a lot of spoilers, but I rather post thoughts when I see the episodes in full. It's going to be a great week though, especially the latter half.

Apologies for the double post, but...

tumblr_inline_oavmizTlzJ1sggje0_540.jpg

That means Season 4 starts before 2016. Albeit, CN will be like "December 19th is Fall, right?", but still, it's not as long as I thought it would be! I just hope they don't give us like 5 episodes, then 4 month hiatus again...

I really don't like how I am just constantly complaining about everything, but I wasn't really fond of the last episode (Restaurant Wars) either. It wasn't as bad as the Lars one, but overall kind of boring.

I really hope the Centipeedle and Lapis episodes can blow things out of the water again.

i got one thing out of the last two episodes and that is: i'm really craving a pizza right now

aside from that, Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service was a nice, wholesome episode that featured Steven meddling in a positive(?) way. reminded me of the season 1 eps where they'd just fight a monster that was terrorising the town. honestly enjoyable

I agree with Edo though, Restaurant Wars was just kinda boring. you knew the fight would be resolved by the end ~somehow~, which would've been fine had the fued itself been funny or interesting, which it wasn't. It was just kind of sad. On another point, I also don't mind Ronaldo as a character so him being dumped by his gf for laughs, while a bit funny with his reactions afterward, was mostly stupid.

but yeah pizza now please

best episode of the whole nuke so far

that lore
that storytelling
that ending

not to mention this show managed to make me emotional over a centipede monster
damn that scene where peetle is crying and hitting the transporter, fuck :((((

(Not all were my thoughts)
- The theme of the diamonds might be what corrupts the gems. It can be heard when we see Yellow Diamond, and when the "bomb" goes off.
- One reason why Centi drew three black diamonds might be that the three diamonds fused into black diamond. (Or more likely just didn't want to waste time, but usually the crewniverse make a point with the little things).
- if it's sound that corrupted them, then maybe music will be what brings them back to normal.

It's nice to know that the explosion in lapis' flashback is confirmed to be what corrupted all the gems. Rose saved Garnet and Pearl with her shield, but everyone else was affected. Amethyst was still developing, and would eventually be found after popping out of the ground. Lapis was in the mirror, somehow safe, and Pearl found her shortly after the explosion.

A lot of the corrupted gems are crystal gems, but Centi shows that some were home world gems that didn't get back in time. And it seems that similar type gems corrupt into the same being.

I just know that the diamonds can hate earth and want to blow it up, but making Centi break down is where the line is drawn. :P

Tomorrow is Alone at Sea. I am so ready for this episode. It think with today and tomorrow's episode, we'll being the new arc that will tell us more about what to expect to happen for the rest of the season. Besides Friday's episode, which is a flashback, it'll probably be back-to-back major episodes.

I was under the impression that the three diamonds that were drawn were representing the floating temple thing that was in Sworn to the Sword or something.

What is this "black diamond" or is it just speculation from this episode?

Oboro said:
I was under the impression that the three diamonds that were drawn were representing the floating temple thing that was in Sworn to the Sword or something.

What is this "black diamond" or is it just speculation from this episode?

Just speculation.

Back