Collab: MW:Galleries

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Recently (actually it was two months ago), MarioWiki:Galleries was created to improve the consistency and appearance of gallery pages. This new policy enforces standards that deal with their layout and content, such as the addition of a new 'Scans' section to hold images from publications. Whilst MW:Galleries has been in effect since mid-July, we still need to reorganise the galleries themselves to meet those standards. This collab has taken some time to organise, and should've been up much sooner.

In short, this collab exists to list all of the galleries that need to be changed and why.

What needs to be done?
  • Section titles need to be changed. Anything that isn't 'Logos', 'Artwork', 'Screenshots', 'Scans', 'Box Art' or 'Miscellaneous' should be changed to a Level 3 Header (a.k.a a subsection) or reworded to match one of those headers. Additionally, the order of these sections is important, so refer to MW:Galleries for it. If a section contains no images, then do not include it.
    • Split 'Box Art/Logos' if there's more than two logos in the gallery, otherwise leave them merged under 'Box Art and Logos'.
    • Remove 'Game installments' from all of the subject galleries. This header is redundant and looks sloppy.
    • On the note of subsections, just because you can create a subsection doesn't mean you should. Having broader subsections that cover a lot of images is much better than having specific subsections with very few images. Try not to create 1-2 image galleries, and if the subsection looks odd then merge it.
  • All galleries need to be center-aligned. Place <center> outside of all <gallery> tags to center them.
  • Remove unnecessary coding:
    • Galleries that use '' instead of <i>. Galleries that have game titles as captions don't need to use '' unless there is other writing in the gallery.
    • <center> before captions. The caption will be closer to its image if <center> is before it, making it inconsistent with other captions. This also makes the gallery look squashed and frankly isn't as neat.
    • The parameter 'perrow' shouldn't be used in mainspace galleries. In a nutshell, perrow changes the number of images that appear in each row to whatever number you input, keeping the gallery at a constant size. Previously this was used to support widescreen monitors, but now galleries will automatically enlarge to fit the resolution of your monitor, thus making perrow redundant. For this reason, perrow is only allowed to be used in userspace. width and height are permissible, provided that the images are all of the same resolution.
    • Ideally, this is how the coding should look:
      <i><center><gallery>
      image1.jpg|game title
      image2.jpg|game title
      </gallery></center></i>
      Instead of:
      <gallery>
      image1.jpg|<center>''game title''
      image2.jpg|<center>''game title''
      </gallery>
  • Add missing images to galleries. Older galleries lack quite a lot of images pertaining to their game/subject/whatever, even though they're used on the wiki. For subject galleries this isn't a problem, however game galleries need to include all images pertaining to their subject. This will probably be the most difficult task, so a little bit of digging needs to be done to complete it.
    • With the addition of a new 'Scans' section, any images from publications must now be included in all galleries.
    • Any screenshots from animated TV shows, movies and such should be included in the 'Screenshots' section under an 'Animation' subsection.

This is a list of all galleries that need to be improved.
I've divided galleries up by their type and content. Nearly every gallery on the wiki needs improving in some way, though galleries listed in bold require a lot more work than others.​

Game galleries
There are 113 game galleries that need to be adjusted.
Subject galleries
There are 96 subject galleries that need to be adjusted.
Nearly all of these galleries need minor coding fixes.

Out of curiosuty, how long did it take you to write that post?

In all seriousness though, I'll do what I can once I can get back on the wiki tomorrow. It'll be just the small stuff like changing headers though, and then later I can see if I can upload images.

A lot of time, to be blunt, and thanks for wanting to help. However, extra images shouldn't need to be uploaded. All of the images are there, it's just a matter of adding them to their galleries.

I'll help, too, if you need it. I'm juggling time, though, so I might not be reliable, but I'll be there.

Mario Party X said:
I'll help, too, if you need it. I'm juggling time, though, so I might not be reliable, but I'll be there.
Thanks ;D

Back