Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki Retiring

fantanoice

I can see through time
Pronouns
She / They
People always recommend I watch his movies because I love anime.

But... They look boring TBH.

That aside, there comes a time in someones life(old age) they "must give up" what they love doing best.

I wish him the best...

(a girl even once asked me to go to the movies and watch Ponyo but i declined)

That's a real shame. We've analysed plenty of his films in Japanese class, though I really need to watch the rest of them myself. Most of them are masterpieces.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't seen many of his films. I've only seen Nausica. Shame though, he sounds like a great director.

Unknown Entity said:
I felt that way too. Then I watched the films, and realized I was wrong.

A number of his films are a bit subdued, but they're still good. However, if you want something action-y, I'd recommend Princess Mononoke - there's a demon attack in the first five minutes, and while there's many quiet moments too, the movie's got a lot of excitement throughout, culminating in a rather pulse-pumping climactic sequence (imho).

It's been a long while coming, you might remember he had originally planned to retire after Princess Monoke.
I'm looking forward to seeing his next last film.

Walkazo said:
Unknown Entity said:
I felt that way too. Then I watched the films, and realized I was wrong.

A number of his films are a bit subdued, but they're still good. However, if you want something action-y, I'd recommend Princess Mononoke - there's a demon attack in the first five minutes, and while there's many quiet moments too, the movie's got a lot of excitement throughout, culminating in a rather pulse-pumping climactic sequence (imho).
Yeah, I highly recommend looking at Princess Mononoke, it's my favourite out of his films and I love all the little cultural differences it has compared to action films from the west.

I loved Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and his other films.
It's sad to see him retire.

Back