Wiki Discussion: Wii & GameCube screenshots size

Dashbot

BREEE
I've seen multiple sizes for many images on the wiki. All those screenshots are taken by using the emulator dolphin, which could alter and display the game in higher resolution than the Wii and the GameCube itself. This discussion is held and about:
  • Does we need to upload the screenshots at the default size or the maximum size we could get?
  • What is the default resolution for the Wii and for the CameCube?
    • According to Megadardery, the Native resolution is 640x480 for 4:3 ratio and 480x854 for 16:9 ratio
    • According to Lakituthequick, the Native resolution is 768x576 for 4:3 ratio and 1024x576 for 16:9 ratio
If this is settled, we must do a major replacing for all images.

I think the size doesn't matter, as long as the quality is high enough. This mostly pairs to high resolution, but having it the SD size of the consoles should do as well.

SD, Standard Definition, is descriped in detail here. The resolution is 576 pixels high, the width depends on the aspect ratio.

Lakituthequick said:
I think the size doesn't matter, as long as the quality is high enough. This mostly pairs to high resolution, but having it the SD size of the consoles should do as well.
Adding to what you said: It mostly always good when it is HD. Except for videos saved on the Iso (like Brawl videos). but it is still not the real resolution. See our policy (MarioWiki:Image_Use_Policy).
MarioWiki Policy] When taking screenshots said:
SD, Standard Definition, is descriped in detail here. The resolution is 576 pixels high, the width depends on the aspect ratio.
Yeah, That's good.

I don't think it matters unless it's REALLY noticeable. I didn't even notice the size difference and what the Wii does unless you're really looking for it, and I've seen extreme cases of the widescreen thing before.

The biggest you can as long as it's not extreme

I'm going to clear this up right now.

NTSC (America and Japan) and PAL both use different screen sizes.

For NTSC the screen resolution is lower (640x480 or 854x480) but has a faster refresh rate.

For PAL the screen resolution is higher (768x576 or 1024x576) but has a slower refresh rate.

The games are made to be played in the 640x480 resolution (or 854x480 for 16:9) and personally from the settings of the Wii I didn't notice any difference in image clarity when playing in PAL mode compared to NTSC mode.

Back