Sonic and the Black Knight

Looniju said:
Sonic was meant to be "badass" when Sonic 1 came out. One could argue that Mario has taken his Mario-ness to the extreme.
Sonic was a game about a blue hedgehog saving woodland critters in Sonic 1.

Sonic and the Black Knight is about Sonic going into King Arthur's storybook, and hacking things up with a sword.

SMB was about a plumber saving a princess from a turtle.

SMG was about a plumber going into space to save a princess from a turtle.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Also, something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The voice acting has improved ALOT. Jason Griffith is getting alot better, and did a VERY good job as Sonic in this game. Caliburn (Sonic's sword), and King Arthur also have great voices.

Looniju said:
Dude, if you think that's a lie, you may as well think Mario is Italian and try to get Samus out of your SNES. Sonic was made to be "cool" to compete with Mario, just like all of Sega's stuff at the time was suppose to be "cool" to compete with Nintendo's "kiddy" stuff.

Anyone remembers the "sega does what intendon´t?". Selective memory that is, because even before the redesign, Sonic was meant to be cool.

Despite some half assed games, which basically are sonic 06 and... I dunno, maybe the rivals ones, the rest are good. Not great but good.

I think he is trying to say that every time Mario tries something new he gest the benefit of the doubt, while Sonic, even if his games are good, always gets bashed even before the first screenshots are announced.

In my personal opinnion, the only thing I don´t like in Sonic these days is how Sega is heavily focusing on speed. Unleashed was a good game but seeing how those HUGE levels they created, are practically empty raceways, really saddens me. Where are the enemies that actually aren´t just puppets waiting to be smashed with a boost? where are the item capsules? why the score is mostly based on speed? (heck, the wii version is not mostly but ONLY based on speed in day levels. You can ignore every trick zone, ignore rings, die a lot and just run like hell and you can still get an S.)

By the way, Black Knight is an OK game. I tried it and it´s good. Actually it´s the kind of game I expected from Secret Rings. Instead of being an on-rails racer like Satsr was, and even if SBK still has a pre-defined route, you can move when you want with the stick, you are NOT forced to kill enemies (unlike IGN says), you have items and stuff in the levels (not only rings and pearls like Satsr), you have more characters to play as (but done in the RIGHT way, aka, going to the goal classic style, not fishing or emerald hunting), you have a decent multiplayer, good graphics... in short, the game is good.

Fun fact about Sonic and the Black Knight: everything is "Arthur-ized" to fit the medieval style. You have vasses and chests instead of item capsules and balloons. You have yellow fairies instead of shields. You have apples and red fairies instead of pearls (the things that filled your boost gauge in Satsr). Instead of springs and dash panels you have "wooden springs" and wheels to launch you off in the air, etc etc. Small details that are well done and kinda get you in the "Arthuric" mood.

Master Lucario said:
Also, something I forgot to mention in my previous post. The voice acting has improved ALOT. Jason Griffith is getting alot better, and did a VERY good job as Sonic in this game. Caliburn (Sonic's sword), and King Arthur also have great voices.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

The sword...

talks?

BULLS#$%

By this time, I think about 90% of retro gamers have given up on sonic. The other 10% live in their mother's basements.

Easmo said:
Looniju said:
Dude, if you think that's a lie, you may as well think Mario is Italian and try to get Samus out of your SNES. Sonic was made to be "cool" to compete with Mario, just like all of Sega's stuff at the time was suppose to be "cool" to compete with Nintendo's "kiddy" stuff.
Despite some half assed games, which basically are sonic 06 and... I dunno, maybe the rivals ones, the rest are good. Not great but good.

SatSR was mediocre, Sonic Heroes was average, Rivals 1+2 were OK, and StH was a disaster.

Snake Man said:
Master Lucario said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

The sword...

talks?

BULLS#$%

Yes, it talks.

Watch this video if you want to hear his voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E55h_VuIL14

EDIT: That links doesn't work. This one does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhMhxFpkPc T

Snake Man said:
Easmo said:
Looniju said:

SatSR was mediocre, Sonic Heroes was average, Rivals 1+2 were OK, and StH was a disaster.

Satsr was mediocre indeed, but the sonic advance games were neat, the riders were under-rated good games (especially the first one in which i have more than 500 hours, and still playing thanks to the multiplayer), the rush games were also pretty good, shadow the hedgehog was watered down because of the recycling in graphics and the poor control but apart from that, it was ok, and the only BAD game was sonic 06 because of it being literally unfinished.

Heroes was far above average, and I CAN explain why, but considering Sonic´s bad reputation, this being a Mario forum, and my previous experiences trying to maintain a normal conversation while explaining it, I highly doubt anyone would bother even reading my reasons.

Easmo said:
Snake Man said:
Easmo said:
Looniju said:

Satsr was mediocre indeed

Glad we agree.

but the sonic advance games were neat

Not denying that.

the riders were under-rated good games (especially the first one in which i have more than 500 hours, and still playing thanks to the multiplayer)

Cool story, bro, but the stupid air system, wonky controls, and lack of replayability really hurt it.

the rush games were also pretty good

Not denying that.

shadow the hedgehog was watered down because of the recycling in graphics and the poor control but apart from that, it was ok

And it's terrible writing, plot, voices (which could be said for everything after Heroes), guns, bad co-op/multi-player mode, and lame level designs.

and the only BAD game was sonic 06 because of it being literally unfinished.

And loloading times.

Heroes was far above average, and I CAN explain why, but considering Sonic´s bad reputation, this being a Mario forum, and my previous experiences trying to maintain a normal conversation while explaining it, I highly doubt anyone would bother even reading my reasons.

Maybe I was stretching Heroes' "eh"-ness a bit too much, but it wasn't great.

Metal Sonic is still my favorite Sonic character ever.

Also, I've read all of your reasonings.

Well, you got me.

Seriously, I don´t want to look like a smart ass but I had bad experiences when trying to speak in other forums, especially when it´s about sonic.

The only thing I can add is that Shadow the hedgehog had some really good levels.

Also, the riders games can lack anything but replayability: You + 3 friends = countless hours racing and playing battle mode. When everyone starts to know the shortcuts and you have some mates to play somewhat competitively, this game is great. Of course, assuming your friends aren´t biased against Sonic and actually take the time to play the game.

No, really, 16 tracks and tons of different vehicles, characters and game modes... it´s not bad. And the controls aren´t wonky, they just take some time to get used, but after beating the story and practicing in free races, you´ll be doing tricks, grinding, boosting etc like you´ve been knowing it for years.

Easmo said:
Well, you got me.

Seriously, I don´t want to look like a smart ass but I had bad experiences when trying to speak in other forums, especially when it´s about sonic.

It's alright. Also, I'm not biased against Sonic. I like Sonic games.

They just aren't that great.

The only thing I can add is that Shadow the hedgehog had some really good levels.

I disagree.

Also, the riders games can lack anything but replayability: You + 3 friends = countless hours racing and playing battle mode. When everyone starts to know the shortcuts and you have some mates to play somewhat competitively, this game is great. Of course, assuming your friends aren´t biased against Sonic and actually take the time to play the game.

The same could be said of a lot of games.

That doesn't mean that they're great.

No, really, 16 tracks and tons of different vehicles, characters and game modes... it´s not bad. And the controls aren´t wonky, they just take some time to get used, but after beating the story and practicing in free races, you´ll be doing tricks, grinding, boosting etc like you´ve been knowing it for years.

More like 8 tracks.

They're basically the same.

It's alright. Also, I'm not biased against Sonic. I like Sonic games.

They just aren't that great.

Never said you were, I was just stating the fact that I have encountered such people. And about the games, it´s a matter of tastes.

I disagree.

No, really. Lethal highway, Death Ruins, The Ark, Lava Shelter, Air Fleet... I can name quite a few. Then again, it´s about tastes.

The same could be said of a lot of games.

That doesn't mean that they're great.

Neither does it mean that they are bad. I am just sayig that the riders games aren´t the complete crap everyone says.

More like 8 tracks.

Wrong. Some share similar parts but in general they are way different. The only ones who really share like half of the track are metal city-night chase and green cave-white cave, on the first one. Maybe I can count the middle part of red canyon which shares the waterfall section with green canyon but that´s about it. The rest of the tracks on the first riders and all the ones on the second riders are different. Compare sega carnival with sega illusion. Or, to name a zero gravity example, compare aquatic capital with tempest waterway. And I think I may know what I´m talking about considering I have spent hundreds of hours at these games.

Also, I´ll stop because this is starting to look like an MSN talk and I don´t want to ruin the post or something. Let´s just say we have different tastes. ;)

Back