Sonic Boom (new Sonic the Hedgehog with MLP writer)

ernesth100 said:
What is up with Shadow the Hedgehog. The cutscenes and backstory were amazing in that game.

If you mean laughably amazing in the way that "Sega wanted us to take this seriously" is amazing, then sure.

Oh sure and your favorite game is totally free of that, with Shadow running around yelling "IM THE COOLEST" and every Knuckles stage being accompanied by a cheesy rap and every time voice clips overlap making characters interrupt each other and somehow themselves. Face it there's a reason they replaced the voice cast after Heroes.

I don't actually feel that strongly about SA2, I'm just sick of Verve shitting on games other people like while holding others on a pedestal just because, by his own admission, he liked it as a kid.

Here's what I really think of Adventure 2:

• Sonic/Shadow stages were good, if buggy in places. Other gameplay changes were unnecessary, but especially the emerald hunting.
  • Plot is about as good as you can expect from a Sonic game, save for them trying to shoehorn Knuckles and the Master Emerald into it while completely ignoring the consequences of breaking the Master Emerald (you know, the kind of consequences that drove the plot in Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure)
  • Voice acting is pretty bad, but the worst is yet to come.
  • Chao Garden apparently adds a lot of replay value but I wasn't really that interested in it. For me the alternate paths in Shadow provided better replay value than I've seen in any other game.

Yes, SA2 had it's fair bit of stupid stuff in the story as well. I'm willing to admit that, and even somewhat that the game hasn't aged too well. However, the story isn't what made me say it's my favorite game in the series. I never said that I think SA2 is the best game in the franchise, only my favorite. By all accounts the Classic trilogy, Colors, and Generations are probably more solid games overall then SA2 is. But from my personal point-of-view, I just don't enjoy them as much as I do SA2.

You can say I have some nostalgia goggles for the game, but I'm still willing to admit it's faults and say it's not the best Sonic game in the franchise from an overall sense.

To be honest I don't even hate the Shadow the Hedgehog game that much. The only Sonic game I don't like unconditionally would be Sonic 06. I just laugh-off the story (Cause it's just more fun to treat it as a comedy drama instead of actually taking it seriously), and some things in Shadow did work well such as the weapons because they were useful in bringing down the enemies with large health-bars instead of having to constantly homing attack or punching like in Sonic Heroes (As well as 06). And Shadow also had the Grinding Mechanic improved over SA2's. There are some things that still give me gripes about the game, like it basically turning the Sonic franchise way too dark for the entire game just because Shadow's the main character when SA2 had a decent balance between lighthearted, over-the-top stuff the Sonic series is known for and the more darker elements of the game that only really take over when you get to the final story.

And while it's minor at this point, there's a hidden line that happens only if you take a long time on the final boss of the Shadow the Hedgehog game that implies that the Shadow in the Shadow the Hedgehog game as well as Sonic Heroes is still the same Shadow from SA2. I know it's kinda dumb to complain about this, but it just kinda ruins SA2's ending a bit when the Shadow that was in that game would just come back next game because of his popularity. But there was a way they could of had Shadow return but make sure it's known that he is not the same Shadow that was in SA2 as Heroes had those Shadow robots. It could have been more clever if the "brought back" Shadow isn't actually the original Shadow, and the original Shadow is indeed dead.

I don't think SA2 handled mood that well. Eggman had a cold and understated appearance, but that's so unlike what he's usually like that it's honestly kind of jarring. Other than that, it honestly doesn't seem that light or dark until Gerald Robotnik's final speech, which is so dark that it clashes with the majority of the game. Oh and the final boss is a lizard with a cannon up its butt.

Meanwhile, I think staying consistently dark helps Shadow's story, even if it does sometimes go overboard. Sean Schmell gives a chilling performance as Black Doom, the Black Arms have a threatening design (with the possible exception of black bull), and it's frightening how close they come to success they come at the end, especially when it turns out to be for as petty a reason as "humans are delicious". One thing I especially like about the overall story is the Chaotix subplot, which starts out seemingly irrelevant and then at the end turns out to tie everything together.

On that subject, I feel that Shadow the Hedgehog succeeded at tying up some loose ends left by SA2. That game makes it clear that both Shadow and Biolizard were created in an attempt to cure Maria's disease, and so when she dies anyway Biolizard is retooled as a doomsday weapon. But where does that leave Shadow? That's why his questioning his identity and purpose isn't needless angst like everyone says it is. It's a valid question, especially if you have amnesia, and once he receives a satisfying answer he's content to move on, leading to him becoming one of the few saving graces in 06's story when he gets to do badass things again.

So I just had a scary thought.

What if the upcoming Archie crossover tries to team up Lyric and Sigma? I don't think that'd go over so well with the former being such an underwhelming villain.

Haven't shared my thoughts on the last three episodes. Guilt Tripping... was meh. I kinda didn't care for the tribe animals that guilt trip everyone into doing their bidding. Though to be fair the ending when Sonic gives them to Eggman, it was amusing.

Dude Where's My Eggman was just ok, funnily enough instead of Eggman getting the best part. It was Knuckles with his dream sequence.

But today's episode was really good. The scenes Sonic and Tails have with Eggman before the cowbot arrives is just priceless. It's another of those episodes that if you didn't already know they don't take Sonic and Eggman as enemies very seriously then you're really going to know that now. Because when Sonic's friends are told that the cowbot is going to try and kill Eggman they plead to Sonic to save him. It's kinda amusing with such a different angle between the two from the norm in the series. Even the ridiculous AoSTH had thzt Robotnik/Eggman hate Sonic with a passion.

Robotnik:I hate this hedgehog!!
:porple: : Have you seen my nose?
Robotnik: Shut up, Grounder! Can't you see I am expressing my anger and hatred against this smug blue spiny rat and his two tailed brat of his?!

Donatello said:
Gonna call it now, the circus ringmaster that tries putting Sonic and the others in his act is really Eggman.
Or maybe a walrus?

I just noticed that Sonic Boom Eggman has the body structure of super Robotnik from AOSTH.

Bump.

I binge watched the episodes I was missing this past, which was literally everything after Eggheads (episode 8 ). The show has definitely gotten a lot better and Sticks has grown on me too. I'm also glad that they focus on Orbot and Cubot too in some of the episodes because I actually do like both of them. I feel it needs repeating, but Eggman is definitely the highlight of this show.

I can easily say the worst episode is either between episode 4 (Buster) or episode 9 (Guilt Tripping), the first for being super cliche and the latter because it was just so goddamn boring what were they thinking with that nonsense.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd consider to be my favorite episode, but it'd likely have to be the one that made me laugh the most.

The question is how many of you have caught up/watched since the last post?

http://gonintendo.com/stories/244405-sonic-boom-cartoon-gets-a-second-season

good

I actually forgot that Sonic's arms are not blue and that Knuckles is shorter and thinner.

I can't wait for the last episodes of first season to be translated or released.

There are Sonic Boom action figures(maybe I didn't have enough time to look at the commercial) and plushies. Strangely the plushies are just Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Eggman but no Amy or Sticks for some reason.

Back