Upcoming Cartoon Network shows

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I wanted to make a topic for each individual new show that's going to be on Cartoon Network, or at least one in particular, but I felt that, even though I wanted to talk about all of them, so many of them have so little information to go on so there's not that much to talk about. I might make an actual topic for each of them later on, but for now, I'm going to bring up, for those of you who don't know, several new shows that have been greenlit by Cartoon Network and will premiere... sometime this year, or early next year... Okay, here it goes!

Uncle Grandpa

For those curious as to what this is about... well, here's an animated short that SHOULD give you a basic idea:

So... yeah. It's like that. Apparently, Uncle Grandpa is everyone's uncle and grandpa and goes around the world doing... stuff. Weird-ass stuff. Though I have to say, I rather enjoyed it myself. It's created by Pete Browngardt, who also made fellow Cartoon Network show, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, which... is a show that's definitely selling itself on the gross-out factor. Funnily enough, there WAS an episode of that show that focused on Uncle Grandpa, thereby making THIS TV series a spin-off! I like that, it's like Cow & Chicken and I Am Weasel, or The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy and Evil Con Carne. Not to mention, while there is STILL a lot of gross stuff in this show, it DOES look a whole lot better that Secret Mountain Fort Awesome in comparison. So color me intrigued, at the very least.

Clarence

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/cartoon-network-greenlights-skyler-pages-clarence-74875.html

Created by CalArts grad Skyler Page, who had previously been a storyboard artist on Adventure Time, the show is about the titular Clarance, “an optimistic boy who wants to do everything because everything is amazing.” Yeah... That has got to be the vaguest description for a TV I've ever heard. Not even sure what to make of this...

I Heart Tuesdays

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1659760/ne-yo-i-heart-tuesday-cartoon-network.jhtml

Created by R&B artist Ne-Yo of all people, this series focuses on two Greek Gods who, in being punished by Zeus, must save the world from a new threat every Tuesday, while also attending high school. Aside from the whole high school angle (I've seen that FAR too many times, and I'm not a fan of high school drama to be honest), this sounds like a freaking awesome premise and I am highly anticipating this how!

Mars Safari

Okay, so I don't know if this is actually going to be a series, but apparently the pilot was greenlit... I can't exactly find anything aside from some pictures and stuff, but what I DID find was this article about how the process went:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/ghostshrimp-exposes-the-hypocrisy-of-cartoon-network-57355.html

It sounds like it's going to be another one of those shows that's being sold on the weirdness factor which... I dunno, I'm kind of sick of from Cartoon Network at this point. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Here's hoping.

And finally, we have...

Steven Universe

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/first-look-steven-universe-by-rebecca-sugar-77050.html

This was the one I wanted to make a topic for and was the whole point of this topic. This show is from the mind of Rebecca Sugar, a writer and storyboard artist on Adventure Time, and the creator of the gender-swapped Fionna and Cake from that series! This is also notable for being the first Cartoon Network series to have a solo female showrunner (sorry Lauren Faust...). The show is going to focus on Steven (based on Rebecca's real-life brother, supposedly), the youngest member of a magical team known as the Guardians of the Universe, consisting also of Pearl, Garnet and Amethyst. It's a coming of age story, and by far the most awesome-sounding series of the ones I've mentioned here!

I also mistook one Party Wagon for being an upcoming TV series, but I misread something, and it turns out, it wasn't. Oh well.

Overall, I have to say I like this line-up. Awesome new shows, stuff Cartoon Network needs... I feel. Sort of. It already has some awesome shows but, you know, could stand to improve a bit...

say, wasn't fionna and cake from some fanfic writer and the producers liked it so much they made it an episode

The Undertaker said:
say, wasn't fionna and cake from some fanfic writer and the producers liked it so much they made it an episode
I believe the fanfic writer in question was Rebecca Sugar... But don't quote me on that, I just thought that was the case.

Adventure Time is pretty lax when it comes to taking ideas fans suggest. They pretty much took a fan-made character (Me-Mow) and made her canon. Speaking of whom, I really like her and hope to see her again!

Still, given how most people who work on a TV show or any kind of creative IP are usually forbidden by LAW to read or look at these kinds of things, Adventure Time really is a strange case.

Filthy Rich said:
These all sound awful
Granted, I think quite a few premises are pretty stupid, but I thought the Steven Universe one at least was very solid.

Edit: Okay, I just found out that Fionna and Cake were actually created by Natasha Allegri, a character designer and "storyboard revisionist". Mistake on my part.

Smashgoom202 said:
Filthy Rich said:
These all sound awful
Granted, I think quite a few premises are pretty stupid, but I thought the Steven Universe one at least was very solid.

Edit: Okay, I just found out that Fionna and Cake were actually created by Natasha Allegri, a character designer and "storyboard revisionist". Mistake on my part.
Yeah, they all sound pretty bad, but, hey, at least CN is making cartoons again!
And I think the Fionna and Cake confusion was because it's actually a fanfic in-universe :p

Xpike said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Filthy Rich said:
These all sound awful

Yeah, they all sound pretty bad, but, hey, at least CN is making cartoons again!
And I think the Fionna and Cake confusion was because it's actually a fanfic in-universe :p
I actually didn't like that twist... It's like, all of a sudden, the fan fic took a turn for the suck, and every time after which, the Ice King kept inserting himself into that universe. It's like it was written by a completely different person before the last few seconds...

Also, I don't see how I Heart Tuesdays or Steven Universe are bad premises. They're a bit out there... though not in comparison to the other shows CN has, but come on, they're not bad. IMO, a premise is only as bad as the stories that come out of it, and when I see potential for good stories, I see a good premise.

CN released 6 pilots on their site 3 days ago but apparently took them down?

http://imgettintoiletpaper.tumblr.com/post/51247643646/let-there-be-the-6-pilots-link-back-up-link

I hardly watch Cartoon Network. I stopped watching it after I got disinterested in chowder and total drama island.

In honor of Geek Week, Cartoon Network takes you behind the scenes of some of it's upcoming shows:

That pilot looked pretty good, but damn do they need to tone it down on the flatulence jokes

Back