What do you think could have been done to prevent the Shootings at Sandy Hook?

What do you think could have been done to prevent the Shootings in Sandy Hook Elm.?

• Restrictions of Assault Guns

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Improved school secutity

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • More frequent insanity tests

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • More freedom of guns to the teachers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Children having more Self-Defense training

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
well i thought it was a good rant

it's not actually possible to "exploit" welfare though, lol

Gideon Gordon Graves said:
Yes, because what stressed, depressed high schoolers really need for their mental health is to live in a miniature police state-slash-airport security station every day. That'll do wonders.

Saying that having a few police officers in a school makes it a "miniature police state-slash-airport security station" is an exaggeration in my opinion.

so noble of you

OK?

Do you know what's even easier to exploit than a welfare system? Why, guns! The primary difference is that the welfare system keeps people alive. By valuing easily-exploitable deadly weapons over an easily-exploitable system that stops people from starving in the street, you are implicitly valuing your right to shoot bits of hot lead from a metal tube over a poor person's right to live.

I said that the current system is too easily exploited, not that welfare itself is a terrible thing.

I'm not interested in a debate about welfare (that's my fault though, I shouldn't have brought it up). The topic is about what we think could be done to help prevent tragedies like this. I gave my opinion on that. Whether it's good or bad is open to interpretation. It's just that if I were a parent with children in school, I would feel better knowing that there were people (who are trained to respond to crises) there to protect them.

That makes sense, I guess. Columbine had security, though. Didn't do them much good.
I'm guessing that was because Columbine was more or less the first of these incidents in a long time so nobody would expect it, less from two nutjobs that were also students in the high school.

That makes sense, I guess. Columbine had security, though. Didn't do them much good.

That's true, unfortunately. While I think police presence would help, I don't expect it to be an infallible solution (sadly, I don't think there is one).

^None that are really practical, anyway.

No, because what's that going to do and how is that a solution to anything? Are you suggesting that everyone should just homeschool their kids now? It may be a personal option that petrified mothers who are afraid of letting their kids out into the world might choose, but it is definitely not a viable solution to this problem at all. All that would do is show that people aren't willing to address the issue or make any attempt to fix it, and just run away from it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Bulbasaur said:
Xpike said:
more or less the first of these incidents in a long time

noooo it wasnt
The only one of those that comes anywhere near close is the University of Iowa, and that was only 5 people. Columbine was more than 20 people dead in a high school, so yes, it was something different and new.

"If you pussies can't handle being shot at, maybe you should just school at home, ya commies!"
I was home-schooled, you capitalist pig! You, me, piss rifles, at dawn.

Bulbasaur said:
Xpike said:
The only one of those that comes anywhere near close is the University of Iowa, and that was only 5 people. Columbine was more than 20 people dead in a high school, so yes, it was something different and new.

so you think the security guards werent doing their jobs because previously "only" 5 people had been killed in one shooting?
well, yeah they werent doing they jobs right if someone managed to kill 5 people while it was their duty to prevent it. I don't really get your point

The point is that saying " 'only' 5 people were killed" is an incredibly insensitive thing to do. You're pretty much disregarding that people were killed and reducing them to a number that you're personally saying is too insignificant to care about.

Xpike said:
Bulbasaur said:
Xpike said:

so you think the security guards werent doing their jobs because previously "only" 5 people had been killed in one shooting?
well, yeah they werent doing they jobs right if someone managed to kill 5 people while it was their duty to prevent it. I don't really get your point
it's really easy to kill people, especially if you get them by surprise, not even the most elite guards can do much against that.

I may haven unstable mental problems that make me hate people but not even I can agree that 5 people dying is insignificant in any way.

They're freaking lives, not some replaceable machine that just got scrapped.

Politoed said:
The point is that saying " 'only' 5 people were killed" is an incredibly insensitive thing to do. You're pretty much disregarding that people were killed and reducing them to a number that you're personally saying is too insignificant to care about.
I guess I see worse shit than that every day so I'm now rather insensitive to these things, but I see your point.

Xpike said:

i am talking about the guards at columbine

are you saying that those guards didn't do their jobs because in prior incidents, at other locations, the maximum number of people killed at one time was 5

Xpike said:
I guess I see worse *bleep* than that every day so I'm now rather insensitive to these things, but I see your point.

You observe the deaths of five or more people every day?

His life is horrible we must all have a moment of silence for his hellish life.

Back