Rick Riordan's totally awesome series thread

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
I searched but I didn't really find a thread like this, so here we go!

You'd probably have to have been living under a rock to not have heard of these book series, that combine modern-day society and Greek mythology. The Kane Chronicles moves to modern Egyptian mythology, and the most recent series combines both Greek and Roman.

Anyways, I am a huge fan and recently read The Mark of Athena. Anyone else here a big fan? Discuss.
 

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Dr. Javelin said:
I searched but I didn't really find a thread like this, so here we go!

You'd probably have to have been living under a rock to not have heard of these book series, that combine modern-day society and Greek mythology. The Kane Chronicles moves to modern Egyptian mythology, and the most recent series combines both Greek and Roman.

Anyways, I am a huge fan and recently read The Mark of Athena. Anyone else here a big fan? Discuss.
There's at least two threads, as far as I know.

I kinda grew out of the series.

EDIT: Three other threads.
 

GutsehMan

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.
i've read these books

reading the mark of athena in school all bored-like and stuff

they're definitely interesting books

but like nabber said

i'm starting to grow out of the books
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Nabber said:
EDIT: Three other threads.
ugh

Also, I found The Mark of Athena to be a rather darker installment to the series, or at least at the end. And the series still has that wonderful dash of history and humor.
 

Yoshi K

Come with me if you want cookies
Right now I'm 1/2way through the Mark of Athena.
 

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
To be honest, I think the Heroes of Olympus was the reason I grew out of the series. It was a bit too different, lacking the charm.
 


What is Kurt cobain doing with that sword

So this is basically gonna be Norse gods, just like PJ was Greco Roman and Kane was Egyptian

I don't know if I'll end up reading these though, I still haven't read the finale to heroes of Olympus, and I bought it the day it came out. Kane was pretty good, too, though I haven't read its finale either. I'm more interested in riordans take on Cthulhu mythology personally

Idk I just feel like riordans work is becoming too teen angsty. Or maybe it's always been that way and I'm just noticing it now.
 

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
I'm surprised Nordic wasn't after Egyptian. That was my prediction but instead we got Roman. And before I was like "Roman would never happen. It's too much like Greek to make anything new." Of course I didn't consider it being tied in with PJ&O.

I'm so behind in Riordan's books. I read all of PJ, I think up to the 3rd book of the Egyptian series and I'm pretty sure I read Mark of Athena.
 
Part of the reason I've got so bored of the series is that I hate the characters

Percy and annabeth are the only ones I can stand. It feels like Rick is trying to appeal to /teenage problems/ and I can't identify with that
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
i was honestly hoping for a greek/egypt/roman crossover like was teased at the end of the kane chronicles but i guess he's waiting to add the norse ones before that happens
John Frusciante said:
Part of the reason I've got so bored of the series is that I hate the characters

Percy and annabeth are the only ones I can stand. It feels like Rick is trying to appeal to /teenage problems/ and I can't identify with that
at this point there's so many characters that you can just pick the ones you like and focus on them
John Frusciante said:
I don't know if I'll end up reading these though, I still haven't read the finale to heroes of Olympus
oh yeah i still need to read that too
Idk I just feel like riordans work is becoming too teen angsty. Or maybe it's always been that way and I'm just noticing it now.
well i mean the books are aimed towards that demographic but i never considered them angsty, since there's always a ton of humor and stuff

heroes of olympus started taking a darker turn with a bit of inner-party strife, but i never really considered it angsty
 
Javelin said:
at this point there's so many characters that you can just pick the ones you like and focus on them
that's not okay

there are like 5 points of view and it really contrasts when you have developed characters like percy and annabeth alongside characters like frank whose only personality trait seems to be "i'm chinese and canadian!"
 

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
i stopped reading the books after son of neptune, i just lost interest i guess

also, i've been thinking lately: was there any real problem with The Last Olympian as a final novel in the series? thinking back on it i don't remember having any qualms with how it ended, which feels weird for a series-ender
 
Nabber said:
i stopped reading the books after son of neptune, i just lost interest i guess

also, i've been thinking lately: was there any real problem with The Last Olympian as a final novel in the series? thinking back on it i don't remember having any qualms with how it ended, which feels weird for a series-ender
no the last olympian was ~fantastic~

Eri Ayase said:
Eri Ayase said:
who is rick riordan
im srs
he writes a series of mythological fiction books for teens that most of us still read because his original series, percy jackson, was so damn good
 
Top