Chanukah 2012: Because I've decided this is how we're going to spell it

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Is anyone else celebrating Chanukah this year? It starts at sundown on December 8th and ends at sundown on the 16th.

Hooray for religious diversity!

cha-nuke-uh

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
Rat said:
Is anyone else celebrating Chanukah this year? It starts at sundown on December 8th and ends at sundown on the 16th.
nope

I'm celebrating the birth of my wonderful Savior

So you come into a topic that literally had nothing to do with god, didn't insult him in any manor whatsoever, and decided to post in here like your religion is superiority and just get in peoples faces?

nope

Funny, because Based God's birthday is in August.

Joltik said:
So you come into a topic that literally had nothing to do with god, didn't insult him in any manor whatsoever, and decided to post in here like your religion is superiority and just get in peoples faces?

On that note, Chanukah has pretty much nothing about God. It's about miracles. Specifically, the Maccabees winning the battle against the Syrian Greeks and the light in the temple that was supposed to have enough oil to last for just one day lasting for eight.

Rat said:
nope

Funny, because Based God's birthday is in August.
Well, you don't have to celebrate the birthday on the actual birthday.
Rat said:
On that note, Chanukah has pretty much nothing about God. It's about miracles. Specifically, the Maccabees winning the battle against the Syrian Greeks and the light in the temple that was supposed to have enough oil to last for just one day lasting for eight.
tumblr_m89bi51Yp81rav45mo1_1280.jpg

that said I'm pretty sure there was something about elephants and we all know elephants are the most important thing a holiday can have

Jews didn't want to be caught practicing Judaisim, so when the baddies came around they pretended they were playing games instead.

So they're dice.

Well IDK. I remember spending Hanukkah at this Jewish kid's house when I was like 8 and there were different outcomes depending on which side the dreidel landed on.

Exactly. Each side has a Hebrew letter which corresponds with what to do.

a) Nun means "nisht" or "nothing" [in Yiddish]. The player does nothing.
b) Gimmel means "gantz" or "everything" [in Yiddish]. The player gets everything in the pot.
c) Hey means "halb" or "half" [in Yiddish]. The player gets half of the pot. (If there is an odd number of pieces in the pot, the player takes half of the total plus one).
d) Shin (outside of Israel) means "shtel" or "put in" [in Yiddish]. Peh (in Israel) means "pay." The player adds a game piece to the pot.

I read up on Hanukkah, and it was for the Jews beating the Persians in battle so they wouldn't have to worship the Greek gods, and they lit a lamp with enough oil to last one day, but it burned eight days. And now they have jelly donuts and potato pancakes :|

I read up on Hanukkah, and it was for the Jews beating the Persians in battle so they wouldn't have to worship the Greek gods, and they lit a lamp with enough oil to last one day, but it burned eight days. And now they have jelly donuts and potato pancakes :|

omfp why can't you stop trolling

Bulbasaur said:

omfp why can't you stop trolling
How is that trolling?

Put That Thing Back Where it Came From or So Help Me said:
Latkes are pretty rare in Pennsylvania. It's a shame, they're so good. :(

What's fun is when you see people who have only had the store-bought kind and then you give them real latkes. The real deal is such a huge step up, and that's saying something considering that the store-bought latkes are decent.

How is that trolling?

you legitimately don't understand how coming into a thread dedicated to celebrating a holiday and moaning about the way people choose to celebrate it is trolling?

Bulbasaur said:
How is that trolling?

you legitimately don't understand how coming into a thread dedicated to celebrating a holiday and moaning about the way people choose to celebrate it is trolling?
How was I moaning?

Hanukkah begins at sundown today, but the sun never showed up in the first place! D:

Anyways, I guess we can still celebrate it despite this speed bump. Happy Hanukkah!

Back