How Do You Create Your Own Wiki?

Sir Grodus

King Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I've been toying with the idea for awhile and I think I might create my own Wiki, does anybody have any tips or info. for a beginner?

First, get some web hosting with MySQL support, then download and install Wiki software...it's simpler than it sounds

Or you could make it a Wikia Wiki. :?

wiki.com

then theres the new wiki.is

Yeh. But back to topic.
Here are MediaWiki hosts:
  • Wikia - Many extra features, multi languages, restricted content
  • Gratis-Wiki - No extra features, multi languages, no content restrictions
  • ElWiki - Inputbox extra feature, English only, no content restrictions
  • Wiki-site.com - No extra features, multi languages, no content restrictions
  • EditThis.info - No extra features, English only, no content restrictions

Earlier I said wiki.is. I'm sorry, but its wik.is. Again, Sorry.

Possibility 1: Download this and install it on an FTP hosting.
Possibility 2: I can give you free Wiki Hosting under a subdomain of YamiHoshi.nl, MarioKartCW.org, MarioKartCWii.org or WoondroomGoes.nl (your choice), I'll install everything for you, and you can do the rest.
Possibility 3: Same as 2, but you can also buy an own domain name with DNS support somewhere (for Americans, GoDaddy is a good and cheap one).

My servers are all located in The Netherlands, so illegal links to sites as RapidShare, MediaFire, etc. is allowed.

Beware, option 2 and 3 are without own FTP, SFTP, SSH, Telnet, MySQL, control panel, mail and DNS support; this all goes through me.
I won't accept .TK hosting, because that fucked up my old server hard.

Subdomains are something like "http://yourwiki.yamihoshi.nl".

>>MrConcreteDonkey
I've seen some Wikia-hosted Wikies, but they don't even feel like a Wiki.
Of course it's easier than installing yourself, since you won't need to know anything about MySQL, PHP, FTP, etc., but I think people want something that has a look and feel of MarioWiki, or Wikipedia.
Plus the fact that Wikia has a huge banner at the bottom.

Britain said:
*easy minded junk lololo*

Goddess of Death said:
>>MrConcreteDonkey
I've seen some Wikia-hosted Wikies, but they don't even feel like a Wiki.
Of course it's easier than installing yourself, since you won't need to know anything about MySQL, PHP, FTP, etc., but I think people want something that has a look and feel of MarioWiki, or Wikipedia.
Plus the fact that Wikia has a huge banner at the bottom.

Back