Jailbreaking problem

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
An incident with my iPad 2 a while ago forced me to jailbreak it to fix it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a glitch that disables the jailbreak whenever the iPad shuts off - a real pain when the iPad crashes. So I have to jailbreak it again each time I want to fix this problem.

This involves me restoring my iPad to its original settings. However, today when I went to do that, I got a message from iTunes prompting me to update to iOS 6. It doesn't seem to be letting me restore unless I upgrade, which, even if I wanted to upgrade to that, doesn't have a jailbreak for it yet. Does anyone know how to restore an iPad without updating it?

Now that I think of it, have you tried to hold both the Power- and Home-buttons at the same time until it turns off, then turning it on again?
This should soft-reset it.

Also I'm not sure if it turns on again itself, or you have to do that, so just wait 10 seconds after it turns off before turning it on again.

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
the only new features in ios 6 (apparently more than 200, more like 2) are facebook login and appstore card glitch i found letting me get everything free

How?

Lakituthequick said:
Now that I think of it, have you tried to hold both the Power- and Home-buttons at the same time until it turns off, then turning it on again?
I did this when my camera app glitched up, and it worked, maybe it will work for the whole device.

Lakituthequick said:

Also I'm not sure if it turns on again itself, or you have to do that, so just wait 10 seconds after it turns off before turning it on again.
I don't want a soft reset. I want a factory reset so I can jailbreak it.

Mac? I have no Mac.

If you read the OP I said that the problem was that when I pressed restore it wanted me to download iOS6.

A word of maybe useful advice: The next time your iDevice breaks, don't jailbreak it, take it to the Genius Bar.

I don't think there is a way around installing iOS6, you'll just have to wait for the jailbreak.

Nabber said:
Mac? I have no Mac.

If you read the OP I said that the problem was that when I pressed restore it wanted me to download iOS6.

You can use iTunes on Mac or PC

Nabber said:
Lakituthequick said:

I don't want a soft reset. I want a factory reset so I can jailbreak it.
Well, the iPad from my mom once was locked in the update to iOS 4-dot-something, in the black screen with the rotating circle, and holding the Power- and Home-buttons worked there.

You can at least try.

Dr. Turnip said:
A word of maybe useful advice: The next time your iDevice breaks, don't jailbreak it, take it to the Genius Bar.

I don't think there is a way around installing iOS6, you'll just have to wait for the jailbreak.
Well, what happened was that the volume buttons got jammed into the side of the iPad, so the volume was stuck on minimum (with that annoying display on, too.) So I don't think the Genius Bar would be able to fix it, and we had no warranty.

iPad fell and hit a corner of a chair at an angle.

It's not supposed to go at an angle.

Back