Sonic one of the worst video game franchises?

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
So I just read an article listing Sonic as one of the worst video game franchises.

Here's a link.

The article's slightly biased since they mention Sonic and the Black Knight as one of the reasons for putting Sonic on this list, but I was curious as to what the Sonic fans think.

I'm the only one who actually liked Sonic and the Black Knight?

And honestly, the Sonic franchise had already gone downhill with Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Drift and Sonic's Schoolhouse.

I don't really think Yahoo is very reputable but I don't really see a problem with this. It was a great series and it went off a cliff.

Perhaps some of the worst fans. But there's no way Sonic is one of the worst Game Franchises. Even if you're not really a fan, you can't deny Sonic's success both in the past and now.

The series has fallen off a steep cliff, but it's slowly climbing its way up again. Yes, there was Sonic 06, but in recent years we've had Colors and Generations.

And despite Sonic 06. Sonic remained pretty damn popular. Popular enough to make Nintendo add him in Brawl a little late in development. Tell me how exactly Sonic is one of the worst franchises without personal bias, if his popularity was huge and vocal enough for Nintendo to add the blue blur to it's prized fighter franchise.

Northern Verve said:
And despite Sonic 06. Sonic remained pretty damn popular. Popular enough to make Nintendo add him in Brawl a little late in development. Tell me how exactly Sonic is one of the worst franchises without personal bias, if his popularity was huge and vocal enough for Nintendo to add the blue blur to it's prized fighter franchise.
Granted, Sonic and Mario, at the time, had been legendary rivals in the industry, and fans probably weren't happy with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

Nabber said:
I don't really think Yahoo is very reputable

That's why I decided to say "an article" rather than "a Yahoo! article". If I mentioned Yahoo! people wouldn't have read the article.

GreenDisaster said:
The series has fallen off a steep cliff, but it's slowly climbing its way up again recent years we've had Colors and Generations.

Yeah, I'm no Sonic fan/expert, but I'm not exactly a hater anymore, but I heard those were good Sonic games.

Northern Verve said:
Tell me how exactly Sonic is one of the worst franchises without personal bias, if his popularity was huge and vocal enough for Nintendo to add the blue blur to it's prized fighter franchise.

Sadly, bias is everywhere no matter where you look. That's the only answer I can give.

Northern Verve said:
Perhaps some of the worst fans. But there's no way Sonic is one of the worst Game Franchises. Even if you're not really a fan, you can't deny Sonic's success both in the past and now.
I've never really enjoyed a Sonic game personally but I doubt it could be considered one of the worst franchises ever.

People Running About said:
I've never really enjoyed a Sonic game personally but I doubt it could be considered one of the worst franchises ever.
Per Shoey. Personally, I have never been really interested in the Sonic series and the only game I have is the first (virtual console), but there are lots of other bad games out there, and the people that wrote the article are really just haters; Sonic is far from the worst.

Sonic went downhill for a while but Sega have actually managed put the franchise back on track.

GreenDisaster said:
The series has fallen off a steep cliff, but it's slowly climbing its way up again. Yes, there was Sonic 06, but in recent years we've had Colors and Generations.
Yeah, which are both extremely overrated.

Solar Blaze said:
GreenDisaster said:
Even still, they are good games that show Sonic can step back into the spotlight.

Solar Blaze said:
GreenDisaster said:

Which isn't a bad thing. When people are actually saying it's overrated then it's successful in the first place whether the person who called it overrated likes it or not. Most people don't group Generations nor Colors with the group of Bad Sonic games that Sonic 06 belong in. And that's a good sign of progress compared to when the franchise became a laughing stock and a butt of many jokes in the time after Sonic 06 released.

I don't think Sonic will ever go back to the height of his critical success during the Early 90's. But Colors and Generations has possibly paved the way to at most get close to it. A few more solid main Sonic titles could do that. They could be secretly working on the next successful Sonic game right now for all we know.

Per SonicMario the series is slowly rising back on to it's feat again after bad games like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06 and Sonic and the Black Knight.

I remember when Game Informer gave Sonic Generations a 6.75/10.

And I remember all the piiiised letters that came in bitching about the review's low score.

So, yeah, if Sonic still has the popularity that one of the largest gaming magazines in the country is swamped with complaints when they try to diss one of his better games, I think the series is in a good spot.

Blue Paratroopa said:
Sonic Rush was a pretty good game if it wasn't for Night Carnival Zone
The Night Carnival zone was alright, but I hated Altitude Limit.

Back