Attention: Apple Device Owners or Prospective Buyers

Eh, I don't really take pictures with my iPad, so I don't really care.

When I read the title though, I thought they were going to stop recording of videos. That would be bad.

just use non-digital cameras

i think i have one around somewhere

In all seriousness, I doubt they'll be able to block all types of digital cameras - there will always be some technological loophole that will likely let older digital cameras work fine.

If they're smart though, they could just use a magnetic pulse through the area - wipe the memory of all cameras, leaving no proof.

which is why i'm actually serious about using film cameras

Well, I have no Apple products that can take pictures, but I am afraid this might spread to other devices. But what if you turned off Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS and anything they could turn against you?

what, spread to non apple devices? it would definitely require a firmware update to implement this, so if you turn updates off you should be fine. assuming your device has adequate security, turning off wireless functions is probably overkill

an attack like that would most likely permanently brick your camera anyway. emp is nasty

Makoto Naegi said:
what, spread to non apple devices? it would definitely require a firmware update to implement this, so if you turn updates off you should be fine. assuming your device has adequate security, turning off wireless functions is probably overkill
You're right. Plus, I highly doubt Android/Samsung would like to implement something that came from Apple.

Lakituthequick said:
Jack Noir said:
wipe the memory of all cameras, leaving no proof.
NO. That will delete harmless data, like family photos, when just passing by. Which is illegal, I think.
The fact that they're working on censoring the freedom of speech kinda makes me think they won't care about removing your family photos.
Makoto Naegi said:
an attack like that would most likely permanently brick your camera anyway. emp is nasty
Probably. Unless they manage to fine-tune it?

The only reason I don't think they would use EMP yet is because it would likely knock out their devices too.

[quote author=The article]Let me preface this by stating that this was on rt.com. I usually trust them as far as I can sling a piano. They break some amazing stories, but they are usually so excited about being "do gooders" that they forget to fully check their facts.

Apple has patented a technology that will allow government officials, businesses, covert operations, etc. to create an invisible "no video zone". They will use GPS, WiFi, and other means to create a virtual fence. Once someone crosses into the restricted area their cameras and recording equipment will be disabled. This could be a way for them to say "thank you" the the US government that allowed them to win a ridiculous patent lawsuit against Samsung.

Here is the wording from the actual patent:

Apparatus and methods for changing one or more functional or operational aspects of a wireless device, such as upon the occurrence of a certain event. In one embodiment, the event comprises detecting that the wireless device is within range of one or more other devices. In another variant, the event comprises the wireless device associating with a certain access point. In this manner, various aspects of device functionality may be enabled or restricted (device "policies"). This policy enforcement capability is useful for a variety of reasons, including for example to disable noise and/or light emanating from wireless devices (such as at a movie theater), for preventing wireless devices from communicating with other wireless devices (such as in academic settings), and for forcing certain electronic devices to enter "sleep mode" when entering a sensitive area.

This will help keep all those pesky police brutality videos and photos off the internet. For now, this only works on Apple devices, but I wouldn't put it past the government to attempt to create total blackout areas (it will just be easier to silence users with Apple devices).

I'll post a link to the patent as soon as I find it. RT.com did not link to it (annoying bastards). The bottom line is this: Do not buy an Apple. It saddens me to see a giant like Apple do this to the consumers. [/quote]

Jack Noir said:
Probably. Unless they manage to fine-tune it?

The only reason I don't think they would use EMP yet is because it would likely knock out their devices too.

i think you can direct it using a parabolic dish, sort of, but i dunno about just resetting memory while leaving everything else undamaged

maybe we should preempt them and get cameras with faraday cages built in? (i have no idea whether that's actually feasible)

Don't think that would stop magnetic fields, though I haven't researched it.

Perhaps a casing with an inner layer of lead could shield against EM waves?

maybe

i kind of suck at physics so

Makoto Naegi said:
maybe

i kind of suck at physics so
hey i have an idea

maybe we should invent a "22 and Javelin go off-topic" thread

because we always seem to end up going deep into a semi-relevant point and leave everyone else behind

remember that discussion about the fourth dimension in #mwchat?

i remember

but i have a feeling if we made such a thread, i would always forget to go to it

Makoto Naegi said:
i remember

but i have a feeling if we made such a thread, i would always forget to go to it
don't worry

we can always pay the mods to move our discussions into the thread

they can split threads right

sure, but those mods are real scalpers

i had to pay $500 just to get them to fabricate evidence the last time i wanted someone banned

it was terrible

Back