Hotel Transylvania

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff

Hotel Transylvania, coming to theaters September 28!

So, as seen in this trailer, Mavis (played by Selena Gomez), the daughter of Dracula, played by Adam Sandler-

NO WAIT, DON'T GO, LET ME FINISH!!!

...Right, so anyway, Dracula owns this five-star resort for monsters, and since it's his daughter's 118th birthday, he invites the who's who of the monster world to her birthday party. However, one unexpected guest shows up... A human traveler named Johnathan played by Andy Samberg. Mavis falls in love with him, much to Dracula's rage... And yeah, sounds like a story you've heard dozens of times, only with monsters.

Under normal circumstances, I probably would have written this movie off as really stupid and lame since, you know, Adam Sandler, and while the trailer doesn't look that bad, it doesn't seem like anything special. It's premise is... interesting, I suppose, if you're into monsters, and it has a couple of cute jokes, but it just seemed like something that would flow under the radar... But there IS something that makes me want to see this movie, and makes me think it will rise beyond normal expectations.

It's being directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Yes, Genndy Tartakovsky, creator of Cartoon Networks favorites such as Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Sym-Biotic Titan. He's also was responsible for the original 2D incarnation of Star Wars: The Clone Wars (aka, one of the few GOOD things to come out of the prequels), and wrote, directed, and even animated for such shows as 2 Stupid Dogs, The Powerpuff Girls and much more! He's a legend among modern-day animation directors and animators in general!

And BECAUSE of that, this movie is innocent until proven guilty in my book. Here's hoping! ;)

The trailer didn't really impress me, and neither did the premise.

I wouldn't use the term picky. But what I'm seeing here is another take on Romeo and Juliet, except of course with monsters and without the mass suicide at the end.

In case some of you don't want to sit through the "Call Me, Maybe" parody, here's the official trailer that's shown in theaters:

No.

This is, without exaggeration, the worst movie I've ever seen. It's also the first movie I've ever ragequit.

SiFi said:
No.

This is, without exaggeration, the worst movie I've ever seen. It's also the first movie I've ever ragequit.
Really... If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me exactly when you "ragequit"? I guess I can KIND of understand why people would hate it, but I'm still a bit curious.

I haven't watched it yet, but I heard it received mostly mediocre reviews at best and that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 43%. I'll probably wait until it's on Netflix or something.

Well, since I haven't mentioned it yet, I really liked this movie. I feel like the quick, zany actions, some of the expressions and movements would be better suited to traditional 2D animation, but at the same time, I feel like it works. Genndy's style tends to bleed through every now and then, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I found all the references to different monsters amusing, as well.

I began to consider ragequitting when "Frankenstein"'s legs farted, but I didn't actually manage until around the point where Jonathan was introduced.

Dusknoir said:
I haven't watched it yet, but I heard it received mostly mediocre reviews at best and that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 43%. I'll probably wait until it's on Netflix or something.

Here's a better idea: Never watch it.

SiFi said:
I began to consider ragequitting when "Frankenstein"'s legs farted, but I didn't actually manage until around the point where Jonathan was introduced.
Jonathan is actually not that bad of a guy, and not as annoying as one might initially think he is. I'll admit, I didn't care for the farting or butt jokes, but then again, there was a fart joke in Finding Nemo and nobody complains about that.

SiFi said:
Dusknoir said:

Here's a better idea: Never watch it.
Here's an ACTUAL better idea, stick with your original plan, watch it when it's on TV or really cheap to rent, and decide for yourself.

Nabber said:
But the Finding Nemo farting joke wasn't all in your face about it.
I didn't feel it was all "in your face" in this movie, either. It's just one scene, I didn't think it was much of a deal-breaker.

This movie don't look interesting.....just my opinion on it.

Smashgoom202 said:

Hotel Transylvania, coming to theaters September 28!

So, as seen in this trailer, Mavis (played by Selena Gomez), the daughter of Dracula, played by Adam Sandler-

NO WAIT, DON'T GO, LET ME FINISH!!!

...Right, so anyway, Dracula owns this five-star resort for monsters, and since it's his daughter's 118th birthday, he invites the who's who of the monster world to her birthday party. However, one unexpected guest shows up... A human traveler named Johnathan played by Andy Samberg. Mavis falls in love with him, much to Dracula's rage... And yeah, sounds like a story you've heard dozens of times, only with monsters.

Under normal circumstances, I probably would have written this movie off as really stupid and lame since, you know, Adam Sandler, and while the trailer doesn't look that bad, it doesn't seem like anything special. It's premise is... interesting, I suppose, if you're into monsters, and it has a couple of cute jokes, but it just seemed like something that would flow under the radar... But there IS something that makes me want to see this movie, and makes me think it will rise beyond normal expectations.

It's being directed by Genndy Tartakovsky.

Yes, Genndy Tartakovsky, creator of Cartoon Networks favorites such as Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, and Sym-Biotic Titan. He's also was responsible for the original 2D incarnation of Star Wars: The Clone Wars (aka, one of the few GOOD things to come out of the prequels), and wrote, directed, and even animated for such shows as 2 Stupid Dogs, The Powerpuff Girls and much more! He's a legend among modern-day animation directors and animators in general!

And BECAUSE of that, this movie is innocent until proven guilty in my book. Here's hoping! ;)
video removed by user

Back