How do I make a Let's play?

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
I wanna be one.

D:

Well, you need a good capture card, microphone, video editing skills, time, material to talk about, knowledge about the game, etc.

Nabber said:
Well, you need a good capture card, microphone, video editing skills, time, material to talk about, knowledge about the game, etc.

Unless you're doing a blind one.

I'm pretty sure that NintendoCapriSun made some videos about this, but I never watched them.

Basically, experiences with the game, thoughts on the game, fanbase, even RL things if you're desperate for material. You should know by watching LPs though.

Nabber said:
I'm pretty sure that NintendoCapriSun made some videos about this, but I never watched them.

Basically, experiences with the game, thoughts on the game, fanbase, even RL things if you're desperate for material. You should know by watching LPs though.
oic.

is it necesary to speak english for a Let's play?

because I have Spanish as my maternal language.

Well, technically not, but that would mean your audience would be relatively small.

Nabber said:
Well, technically not, but that would mean your audience would be relatively small.
what a shame.

there should be more spanish LPers.

also how do I record my voice if I am going to talk?

I'm using Audio Hijack Pro on a Mac for everything, that comes to Audio.
A good Windows alternative, should be Audacity.

MKGirlism said:
I'm using Audio Hijack Pro on a Mac for everything, that comes to Audio.
A good Windows alternative, should be Audacity.
My cousin and I are using Camtasia to record and edit (due to us having to use an emulator.) Do you think that'll work?

I dunno, I don't do Commentaries, and my only time I use an Emulator, is for school (Game Development).

Byakuya Togami said:
Unless you're doing a blind one.
you do realise blind lps are among the absolute worst kind of let's plays ever made, right? Something Awful even has a rule in place that forbid people there from LPing a game that's under three months old, and they even advise waiting six months so you can get a truly good grasp on the game.

Well, yeah, obviously a blind LP can't compare to one that isn't, but it has its own entertainment value depending on who's doing it (granted, not every LP is done solely for entertainment purposes).

I find blind LPs more entertaining. I don't care if you don't know anything, i'm going to laugh and enjoy it more if you are fumling with the controls than if your babbling everything about it and flying through it.

[/Exaggerating]

Since you're doing it from the computer, you should get a program that captures the screen. For programs that are free, for Windows there's Camstudio which is alright. Since emulators are not legal to start with, you could get Hypercam 2 or Fraps (both have crappy free versions). If you're doing an N64/GC/Wii etc. game make sure your computer can handle it smoothly. These programs also have recording options, so you can record your microphone directly from there.

The programs usually compress and split the video into seperate parts, so a cheap basic program like Windows Movie Maker can put them together and directly upload them to Youtube.

Emulators are only legal, when they're self-coded by hobbyists, which is almost any Emulator available.
There are official Emulators, leaked from official SDK's (like Ensata from Nintendo), leaking them is illegal.

ROMs are most likely illegal, unless:
  • It's fully self-written (aka, Homebrew).
  • You've dumped it yourself, from your own Cartridge, and don't share it with anyone.
  • You make notable changes to the ROM (only applies to a couple of European countries).

Anybody knows how to record games on DS emulators (Like NO$gba and Desmume)

Back