Discuss: Generic subject articles

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
I've noticed I've made a lot of articles on this thread, but I always have something I want to discuss. Anyways...

I'm pretty sure most of you have already come across one of these articles. You know, those articles that try to cram everything that's even vaguely related to the subject, like Dog, Polar Bear, Dragon, Frog, Sheep, Horse, and I think pretty much all the articles in Category:Real World Animals. Are these articles really necessary? I can't really explain why, but I just don't like these kind of articles. What do you guys think?

Dog: You can delete this, because it really has no content that isn't already on other pages.
Polar Bear: I'd say no for this one, because they're an actual enemy in a game.
Dragon: I'm iffy on this one, if only because it has so much stuff on it. Though I guess it can go.
Frog: Delete.
Sheep: Don't delete per se, but I think most of it can just be merged with "Sleepy Sheep" and "Ram"
Horse: See Polar Bear, but replace "enemy" with what applies.

Toad85 said:
Dog: You can delete this, because it really has no content that isn't already on other pages.
Polar Bear: I'd say no for this one, because they're an actual enemy in a game.
Dragon: I'm iffy on this one, if only because it has so much stuff on it. Though I guess it can go.
Frog: Delete.
Sheep: Don't delete per se, but I think most of it can just be merged with "Sleepy Sheep" and "Ram"
Horse: See Polar Bear, but replace "enemy" with what applies.

We shouldn't decide this here, rather we need to amend the current Writing Guideline to fit our expectations of what generic subject constitutes an article and what doesn't.

Or even possibly make a Writing Guideline regarding articles on real life animals. There are multiple way to approach this one.

I think making a Writing Guideline for the real life animals would probably be the best choice, though I don't think I could make the draft.

I would do it, but I currently have other projects on my plate. I don't mind discussing the specifics though.

I think that generic subjects should only get articles if they are shown to have significant influence on game play/media. The info in Dog could be made into a disambiguation page for the several different appearances of doggish creatures. Also, such generic subjects should always be written in a Mario perspective.

Back