Revolution (NBC TV series)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So a few days ago, I was going to watch a YouTube video, but then an ad showed up before it. I was going to skip it, but then I heard Woody Woodpecker, and I decided to stick around and watch the rest of it... It went like this:

My thoughts as this was going by:

"Woody Woodpecker? What's this? This is probably a trailer to a movie or something... Wait, electricity's gone? 15 years later? Well, a lot of things, society, economies, and governments are bound to change because of that... Guy gets shot? Okay a group of travelers... This seems to have a lot in it for just a movie... *by the end* The NBC logo? Oh, so it's a TV movie? ...Or TV show? Either way, this looks awesome, I'm totally going to check it out-oh right, the video *watches whatever I was trying to watch at the time*"

So... Yeah, I'm intrigued. Anyone know when this is starting?

All we've got right now is what the video said (Mondays this fall). Anyway, if J.J. Abrams is involved, this show should be great.

So the clothing manufacturers have 15 years worth of clothing for everyone before the electricity goes out?

Totally looks like it's going to suck.

JJ Abrams or no JJ Abrams.

Toad85 said:
Totally looks like it's going to suck.

JJ Abrams or no JJ Abrams.

That's why I said "should be" great. J.J. Abrams's involvement doesn't guarantee anything, obviously.

Mario4Ever said:
Anyway, if J.J. Abrams is involved, this show should be great.

Not necessarily, his last show Alcatraz was just cancelled as ratings steadily declined.

Anyway, Revolution, yeah it looks dece.

Baby Simones said:
Not necessarily, his last show Alcatraz was just cancelled as ratings steadily declined.

Ahem.

Mario4Ever said:
That's why I said "should be" great. J.J. Abrams's involvement doesn't guarantee anything, obviously.

And Alcatraz's cancellation pisses me off.

Surprise, surprise, the series premiere was last night! Anyone catch it?

I did, and I really liked it. I just hope this doesn't turn out like mos tof J.J. Abrams other shows/movies, i.e. brilliant and engaging set-up, really lousy pay-off.

So, yeah, I'm curious about what exactly happened. I'm certain that those pendants both Ben Matheson and that black woman have are the key, but still, why'd it all shut down, why is that woman somehow able to use it? Guess that's the point, hooking you in with a good mystery, then watching it slowly unwind as the series goes on...

I must say, though, Danny's a freaking idiot. I don't mean to be offensive, but he seems like the really young, naive, almost mentally handicapped sort of young man who can't grasp what's going on around him... Like, yeah, it REALLY is his fault that his dad is dead and he's capture. I actually routed for the guy when he slapped him after saying he's looking at being executed and Danny goes "we can only hope" or something like that. I actually really sympathized with the Captain, though, he actually said he has a family at hope, and you really get a sense that he's not doing this because he's evil, but more because he wants to help his family, and make sure he and they survive. I also like how outwardly friendly he is, only to turn dead serious moments later. Like, this is a guy that means business... Probably my favorite character, so far.

So yeah, Miles is an assassin? Actually, he was a General before the black-out, and he was with a sergeant who is now a warlord and possibly the big bad of the series! My how the tides have turned! Seriously, that fight where Miles was taking out all those guys, freaking awesome.

Also, Nate, looking to be the morally ambiguous neutral party, technically working for Monroe, but doesn't seem to want to hurt Charlie or her friends, "family". Speaking of which, I'm also liking Maggie, too, like Charlie seems to hate her because she's not her mom yet her father allowed her to say with them, so she has an entirely negative view of her. And then there's that guy who used to work for Google but now is basically useless...

GOD, there's just SO much to talk about from this one episode, I love it!

I missed it because it was on a version of NBC I don't have. Damn college cable.

During the fight with the bunch of soldiers and miles i'm like. "Oh yea, he is good at killing things!" His comment about drinking himself to death was funny.

Smashgoom, your completely right about danny. I was thinking the same thing, also the lady that took him in, was an idiot, she should of known that the militia would have been coming.

I liked the first episode, despite pretty much all of it being shown in the trailer.

Magikrazy said:
So the clothing manufacturers have 15 years worth of clothing for everyone before the electricity goes out?
Considering the ridiculous amount of surplus clothes we Americans have lying around in department stores and the like, I don't think it would be much of a problem.

Anyways, we can at least all agree that it's an interesting premise.

ChaoticLeo said:
Smashgoom, your completely right about danny. I was thinking the same thing, also the lady that took him in, was an idiot, she should of known that the militia would have been coming.
Actually, I talked about it on some other forums, and while I DO agree that Danny was still a freaking idiot who made things worse, what he did WAS understandable. He was acting on emotion, no logic, and he didn't want his father to go to who knows where with those guys. Still, I don't think he could have foreseen what happened to his father...

Ok, so I finally was able to watch the pilot. Good stuff. Miles is a badass.

I watched the pilot,
Monroe's tent encampment sort of reminds me of the American Civil War.

Damn I'm such a procrastinator... What I thought about last week's episode, at least from what I can remember:

Even though Charlie's still kind of an idiot in my eyes, I like that she's trying to keep hold of what little humanity she has left. My favorite part of the whole episode was when Miles and that explosives lady (I forget her name) are talking about killing the ring leader of this group of slaves, which Miles and Charlie just rescued her from (even though she was there on purpose) to get the guy's sniper rifle. When Charlie volunteers to do it, Miles, of course, doubts her ability to do so, until she brings up she wasn't doing it for the gun, but for the SLAVES that were bring FORCED to work there, whom NEITHER of them have brought up ONCE. It's clear this world has changed them for the worse, to the point where they don't even think about the helpless.

Danny, I feel, is still kind of an idiot, though I completely get where he's coming from. To him, these are the guys who killed his father, but when I take a good look at them, especially their leader, they feel this is the only way to maintain order in this new, chaotic world. I mean, he just comforted his subordinate as he was dying, and held a funeral for him, and yet all Danny can see is "he killed my father, and that guy who happened to have a gun, they're evil!" I understand his emotions, but I still feel like he's being too hard on the captain, who's STILL my favorite character in all this!

Also, apparently, the American flag is now a rebels flag, and anyone who has it is killed. I find that fascinating. What's more fascinating is seeing Monroe and how he deals with people who disagree with him. Unlike the Captain guy, who I get the sense he's actually a nice, albeit cruel guy, Monroe, he's just a jerk. He took the chance to grab power and intends to rule with an iron fist through fear! Also... damn, I forget who found out that woman who had the electricity, but that was an interesting twist, too.

So, the explosives/gun lady, new member to add to the group. You know, I could totally see this working as a video game, of sorts. Either way, she seems just as outwardly cold as Miles, but unlike him, she supports the rebellion against Monroe. That's a plus.

The thing with... um, the stepmom (I keep forgetting names, geez!) and all of her photos of her children being on her iPhone, it was kind of sad, I liked it. I also liked the flashback of seeing a guy threaten to kill Charlie as a kid if they didn't give him their food. I found it very interesting how the guy didn't think the dad would shoot and just walked off thinking he's gotten away with it, then gets his when he actually IS shot... by the mom! Yeah, you don't mess with her kids, dick! Speaking of which, the mom's alive! And Monroe tries to play it off cool, saying "he didn't want it to be this way" but she knows better!

Yeah, so those were my thoughts. I just wanted to tell them before tomorrow night's episode.

Okay, so...

Maggie dies... Kind of strange to kill off a major character so soon, don't you think? Then again, this whole thing feels kind of rushed, I remember someone saying that they should have waited mid-way through the season to reveal that electricity works, and maybe that should be true, too. Then again, perhaps Maggie's death isn't so much killing her off so much as it is using her to strengthen Miles' character, namely to have him be there for Charlie now that what's left of her family isn't there anymore. Which kind of sucks anyway, because it basically demotes Maggie to a mere plot device. But even then, I still couldn't help but feel sad for her death, after all, she had kids who she literally never saw again, save briefly during that last surge of electricity. This also sucks because the team lost their medic, everyone else only has a basic understanding of medical procedure so things are about to get a lot tougher for them...

I feel bad for not posting about the episode before last week's episode, but I can't really remember a lot of stuff worth mentioning in that one, outside of...

Miles being THE founder of the new Republic, now lead by Monroe.

Not much else other than that, but it's a nice twist, I suppose... Then again, it sort of feels like every episode has to have a twist in there somewhere, and that kind of sucks when you think about it, I mean, now it's like you're expecting some kind of new twist to be revealed in each episode, kind of removing the point of a twist.

But whatever, I'm still kind of enjoying the series, though maybe I should branch out and watch other shows, just to see what everyone else is seeing and comparing this to.

Smashgoom202 said:
Damn I'm such a procrastinator... What I thought about last week's episode, at least from what I can remember:

Even though Charlie's still kind of an idiot in my eyes, I like that she's trying to keep hold of what little humanity she has left. My favorite part of the whole episode was when Miles and that explosives lady (I forget her name) are talking about killing the ring leader of this group of slaves, which Miles and Charlie just rescued her from (even though she was there on purpose) to get the guy's sniper rifle. When Charlie volunteers to do it, Miles, of course, doubts her ability to do so, until she brings up she wasn't doing it for the gun, but for the SLAVES that were bring FORCED to work there, whom NEITHER of them have brought up ONCE. It's clear this world has changed them for the worse, to the point where they don't even think about the helpless.

Danny, I feel, is still kind of an idiot, though I completely get where he's coming from. To him, these are the guys who killed his father, but when I take a good look at them, especially their leader, they feel this is the only way to maintain order in this new, chaotic world. I mean, he just comforted his subordinate as he was dying, and held a funeral for him, and yet all Danny can see is "he killed my father, and that guy who happened to have a gun, they're evil!" I understand his emotions, but I still feel like he's being too hard on the captain, who's STILL my favorite character in all this!

Also, apparently, the American flag is now a rebels flag, and anyone who has it is killed. I find that fascinating. What's more fascinating is seeing Monroe and how he deals with people who disagree with him. Unlike the Captain guy, who I get the sense he's actually a nice, albeit cruel guy, Monroe, he's just a jerk. He took the chance to grab power and intends to rule with an iron fist through fear! Also... damn, I forget who found out that woman who had the electricity, but that was an interesting twist, too.

So, the explosives/gun lady, new member to add to the group. You know, I could totally see this working as a video game, of sorts. Either way, she seems just as outwardly cold as Miles, but unlike him, she supports the rebellion against Monroe. That's a plus.

The thing with... um, the stepmom (I keep forgetting names, geez!) and all of her photos of her children being on her iPhone, it was kind of sad, I liked it. I also liked the flashback of seeing a guy threaten to kill Charlie as a kid if they didn't give him their food. I found it very interesting how the guy didn't think the dad would shoot and just walked off thinking he's gotten away with it, then gets his when he actually IS shot... by the mom! Yeah, you don't mess with her kids, dick! Speaking of which, the mom's alive! And Monroe tries to play it off cool, saying "he didn't want it to be this way" but she knows better!

Yeah, so those were my thoughts. I just wanted to tell them before tomorrow night's episode.

Her name is
Nora

I just hope we find out what's going on and why (or at least have an idea in the event this gets canceled).

Again with the procrastination... Well, at least there wasn't a new episode this week so I can talk about last week's one... I think, they said the next episode would be in 2 weeks.
Anyway, I liked learning more about Captain Neville's past, he's STILL my favorite character so far. Still, it was kind of weird that he beat up Danny for the fun of it, kind of made him seem more like a douchebag... I guess the blackout changed him for the worst. It really did feel like he was pretty much the butt of society back before the blackout, like he was fired and his neighbor was a jerk.

Something I feel kind of bad for admitting is that I was surprised to see that his wife wasn't black... then I felt terrible, because I realized that just because he's black doesn't mean he'll only marry other black people. Geez, I feel like such a racist for assuming that.

Anyway, after the backout, he finally unleased his inner demons when his jerkass neighbor tried to rob and kill him, only to beat him back. I can't help but remember that one scene in Sin City where the guy kept punching this other guy, even though there was nothing left so he's like punching the ground. Even though they didn't show it here, I feel like this was pretty much the same way...

Also, "Nate" is Neville's son, Jason, what a twist! I like those kinds of twists, honestly, I didn't expect that.

As for the main group, yeah, Charlie's slowly becoming more and more like Miles, which I'm not sure is a good thing. It's a good thing in terms of survival in this new, brutal world, but I kind of feel like she's lost something in the process... Also, Nora being injured here is going to be an important thing in the next episode, if the preview's anything to go by. I know she won't die, seeing as she was JUST introduced. Then again, Maggie died after just, what, 4 episodes? Things are really moving fast.

And then there's the final reveal... Those little pendant things have to do with the electricity going out, huh? And there are 12 of them? I smell a collectathon! I wonder if they'll have to travel the world in order to get them, though... That would be neat!

After hearing that Neville had a son for the first time, I completely called the-Nate-is-Captain-Neville's son thing.

Neville is still one of my favorite characters, right behind Monroe.

Back