Grabbed by the Ghoulies, a part of the Marioverse?

Sir Grodus

King Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
On October 21, 2003 Rare released a lesser-known game on the X-Box. The reason this game was lesser known? It was a craptacular failure. This game was Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Now I ask thread viewers, is this "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" a part of the (Extended) Marioverse? Before you say H377z n0!!11! allow me to bombard you with facts:

1: Various things from the Banjo-Kazooie series make cameo appearances in this game. True, most of these cameos are just as memorabillia, so this being evidence can simply be disregarded.

2: Facto-numero deux, Roysten. What about him? Why Banjo's pet fish appears in the flesh and blood in Grabbed by the Ghoulies. This is far from a cameo though, players can interact with the heroic honey bear's fish. Seems like someone went through alot of needless trouble to transport a goldfish to the classroom of a dark, creepy, ghost-filled mansion (sound familar?).

3: The hero of Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Cooper something) can be seen vomiting into the toilet of a pub whose name I'd rather not mention in Conker: Live & Reloaded. Of course this could possibly disregarded as un-canon due to the fact that Banjo's "cameo" in Live & Reloaded is pretty un-canon, his head is stuffed and mounted over a fireplace. Of course this Banjo head could just memorabilia like in Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

So I ask you, the viewers, is Grabbed by the Ghoulies apart of the Marioverse canonicity, canon-city, canonity... Whatever.

Like you mentioned, those appearances are mainly cameos. Banjo and Kazooie certainly have not officially died and were mounted above the fireplace. The game is worth a mention in the Mario wiki (or one of the spn-off wikis) simply for the cameos. However, I don't think it is a part of the Marioverse. Mario has a cameo in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, but are they a part of the Marioverse? I think not. Cameos are not canonical in another universe.

I suppose that it could be explained away as cameos, but it is pretty obvious that it is Roysten in the aforementioned classroom, or perhaps dkvine.com propaganda has gotten to me. An interesting note I have come across though, it seems both the Banjo-Kazooie series and Grabbed by the Ghoulies are both nothing more than video-games in Viva Pinata! Kinda' scary when you think about, your whole universe turns out to be nothing more than a video-game series played by freakish, living, candy-filled, paper animals.

dkvine.com takes the canoncity of the DKverse pretty liberally. Star Fox and Ghoulies are not really connected to DK's world, while Conker and Banjo are explicity connected to DK via DKR and its instruction manual.

Yeah, I mean Star Fox Adventures. ITS NOT THE SAME TRICKY! He lives on another planet, he talks, and is a prince of a tribe of Dinosaurs that apparently rule Sauria; he can also do various other abilities that Diddy Kong Racing Tricky never showed.

Man, what next?

Trauma Center? Because one of the patients' names is Mario?

I mostly made this due to the fact that a character from the Banjo-Kazooie series appears in Grabbed by the Ghoulies, an actual interactable with character.

No, not really. You can also pretty much tell its the same fish since it looks just like Roysten and also acts just like he does in Banjo-Kazooie, even doing the whole, "tap the inside of the bowl three times" thing. But we could probably just let this die and agree that it was just a cameo.

I don't think I'd add as part of the continuity, but definitely add it to Game Sightings. Also, wouldn't this make more sense if it was added to the DKWiki?

You make a good point. I remember years ago making the connection between Mario and Banjo and sharing with the Nintendo.com forums, and it was a pretty wild idea at the time (I sometimes flatter myself to think that I started the idea, but I doubt it ;D), so maybe this is the same thing?

Here's a good example of a cameo melding two series: the Wario cameo in Legend of Stafy 4 where players worked with Wario to get through a level.
Here's an example of a cameo as a cameo: Samus and Link appearing at the inn in Super Mario RPG. Somehow, that didn't blend the series... or did it?

This is why I'm not sure if what you say should be cast aside so quickly. In terms of the Wiki, there definitely should be a page about Grabbed by the Ghoulies simply because of the great number of Banjo cameos.

You know what should REALLY be under the micro-scope here? The Bomberman series.

and the Pac-Man series and the Legend of Stafy series and every series that was in Super Smash Bros... but we choose to ignore some one not others... GAH! I'm confused :*(

The difference between Wario, Yoshi, DK, Banjo, and Conker versus all the other series mentioned is that the former came from the Mario series. Zelda, Starfy, Pac-Man, and Bomberman were all established series before they intereacted with the Marioverse. Those classify as cross-overs, and only info from the cross-over games is valid.

And just because GBG had a lot of Banjo cameos means nothing. F-Zero had a lot of Mario cameos, but it did'nt get into the wiki.

Son_of_Suns said:
The difference between Wario, Yoshi, DK, Banjo, and Conker versus all the other series mentioned is that the former came from the Mario series. Zelda, Starfy, Pac-Man, and Bomberman were all established series before they intereacted with the Marioverse. Those classify as cross-overs, and only info from the cross-over games is valid.

I think I see where you're coming from, but let's take Pac-Man in MK arcade: I don't think there was any backstory, so the article should look like this:

"Pac-Man is a racer in the Mario Kart Arcade GP series. He is (appearance and kart stuff here)"

But we couldn't mention Ms. Pac-Man or anything according to these guidelines? That's too bad...

3dejong said:
Liiiiiiiiiiiike.... what?

The character Dr. EAD has cameos coming out of his ears. His name is a play on the developement studio Nintendo EAD, and he slightly resembles Mario. Google the character and you'll find out tons. Extra credit: look up "James McCloud F-Zero" for Star Fox cameos.

3dejong said:
The word "EAD" isn't a Mario cameo.. but I forgot about him. Hmm.

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo EAD was the company behind some great Mario game(s)... but I don't know! Ack! Don't kill me!!! :cry:

Back