Jackie Chan Adventures

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Anyone here watch Jackie Chan Adventures?

For those of you who've seen it but don't remember, it was Jackie Chan in cartoon form travelling the world collecting magic artifacts to keep the world safe from evil.

I know at least one person here is at least well aware of the show's existence.

You know who you are:
Keel-Billed_Toucan.jpg

Anyway, this is how the show breaks down in terms of seasons.

Season 1: 12 magic talismans representing the Chinese Zodiac animals each with a different power must be collected to prevent the demon dragon known as Shendu from being resurrected.

Season 2: Shendu is back and accidentally possesses Valmont in order to release his demon siblings.

Season 3: Jackie blows up the talismans causing their powers to be transferred to the present day descendants of the Chinese Zodiac animals.

Season 4: The lord of the Shadowkhan (shadow warriors) is unleashed and aims to find 9 Oni masks to cover the world in eternal darkness.

Season 5: Shendu's son Drago looks for magic artifacts to give him the powers of his aunts and uncles to take over the world.

I liked this show. Not really too much but it was one of the cartoons I bothered to watch on Saturday Mornings when Fox Kids still existed.

Mario4Ever said:
Shendu was badass.

Yeah, unless he was surronded by his siblings. :P I almost felt sorry for him, and I never feel sorry for villians, well, excpet for minions who get abused by the big bad.

Awesome show. I stopped watching it after Season 2 or 3, but not by my own free will. I should go back and watch it from the beginning sometime.

i dont even remember it because i mustve watched only a handful episodes but i loved the little short interviews they had with the real jackie at the end idk

i like the youtube poops more

Never saw too much of it and to be honest don't really remember much.

Which is a bit shocking since I love Jackie chan. Should certainly watch it again.

I liked the series... to a point. I thought Jade was REALLY annoying, and I thought Jackie was a jerk sometimes for not realizing how useful she can be... But I also don't blame him for getting upset when she disobeyed him.

I thought Uncle was funniest in the first season, where he was just an aloof old man, just cracking wise with his old man wisdom, before becoming a badass wizard.

Tohru I also really liked, and I'm glad he became a good guy after season 1.

Something I REALLY hated, though, was the fact that both Captain Black, Section 13, Valmont, and the Dark Hand all became stupid and incompetent after the first season. Not to mention, all of Valmont's henchmen save Finn, Ratso, and Chow, basically disappeared off the face of the Earth after season 2. Hak Fu is a special case, and even he guy nerfed a bit inbetween seasons, though he IS still a contender and a genuinely powerful foe.

By season 5, they were just repeating cliche's whole-sale, and I barely watched the show at that point. Seriously, I thought the idea of Shendu's son was stupid to begin with because, well, who's his mother and where'd he come from? It really just smacks with the writers running out of ideas and had to come up with something creative to keep the show going. Really, I thought the fourth season was the best since the first two seasons, and NOT because it's mostly Japanese-related, and I love Japanese things. It switched things up a bit by having Tohru do most of the work involving taking down the bad guys, who he knows more about, and also having an actually quite competent bad guy who's up-to-scale with the henchmen he recruited, and not a demon or wizard form ancient times who doesn't "get" the modern world and speaks really weird. He also has a sesne of humor, which the others sorely lacked. Drago MIGHT of had a sense of humor, but he's an expy and a lame idea so I don't count him.

I also particularly liked some of the one-off episodes, just random adventures Jackie has on a regular basis. Sometimes characters from those episodes would return in the main series, which is cool and fun.

All-in-all, a decent kids TV show. Had it's good moments, but went downhill as time went on, which is a shame. Still, I'm glad I checked it out when I did.

Smashgoom202 said:
Tohru I also really liked, and I'm glad he became a good guy after season 1.

Same here, I like it when villains make a permanent Heel Face Turn.

Smashgoom202 said:
Something I REALLY hated, though, was the fact that both Captain Black, Section 13, Valmont, and the Dark Hand all became stupid and incompetent after the first season.

I barely remember Season 1 but I don't remember any of them being either super competent (other than Valmont escaping Section 13 in the Season 1 Finale and the Dark Hand's crime spree at the beginning of Season2) or incredibly stupid.

Smashgoom202 said:
Not to mention, all of Valmont's henchmen save Finn, Ratso, and Chow, basically disappeared off the face of the Earth after season 2.

Well, Finn, Ratso, and Chow were the main henchmen, (hence why they were the only minions to appear in the intros) and I guess the artists decided having those extra thugs at Valmont's disposal was too much work for them.

Smashgoom202 said:
By season 5, they were just repeating cliche's whole-sale, and I barely watched the show at that point. Seriously, I thought the idea of Shendu's son was stupid to begin with because, well, who's his mother and where'd he come from?

You can ask the same thing regarding the koopalings and Bowser Jr. Besides, IMO, Drago's probably the biggest threat out of all the big bads. In the series finale, he outright destroyed most, if not all of San Francisco and he managed to shrug off everything Section 13 and The J-Team could throw at him. It wasn't until Uncle brought back Shendu did Drago come close to losing, and even then Drago was more than a match for his dad until everybody gave their talismans to Shendu. Even then, Drago was never truly defeated in battle, he was just sent to the Demon Netherworld.

Smashgoom202 said:
Buster Baxter said:
You can ask the same thing regarding the koopalings and Bowser Jr.
This isn't Super Mario Bros. though, is it?

Yeah, but...

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Its the same basic principle.

Try thinking about it

That's the point I was trying to make. They're all children of a villain who doesn't appear to have a spouse.

My point was that, when the Koopalings were originally created, it was during a time where video games were only just barely telling coherent stories, so it was acceptable to have small lapses in logic there, and where the Koopalings came from was ultimately unimportant. Of course, NOW would be a good time to know where they came from, but I doubt Nintendo would be willing to say where... But still, when it comes to Super Mario Bros., story kind of takes a back seat to the gameplay, and really, the only reason the story is there is the justify why Mario (and Luigi and possibly others) have to travel to different lands and fight these specific enemies.

In this show, there's no explanation, he's just there and he's a threat. It's kind of lame that they don't even try to explain where he came from, especially since he becomes a main villain during season 5. But then again, they didn't really explain why Tarakuda has been inactive for so many years, but we can probably assume that Daolon Wong did something to revitalize him...

What I'm saying is it just strikes me as lazy writing, which I HATE in kids shows, and I know kids will watch pretty much anything, but I'd think it's better for the kids, AND for the people making the show, if they TRY to put more effort into their writing... But like I said, I think by that point, they were running out of ideas and things to do with the series, so perhaps their creativity juices were running low and didn't have much else to go with.

Back