Valve confirms they are working on a new console, the Steam Box

MCS

Donkey Kong
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)#Steam_Box

Re: Rumor that Valve is working on a new console, the "Steambox"

I heard about this a while back.

Thanks, but no thanks, I have a PC for that.

I heard. I'd buy it.

I'd think that'd be kind of strange. Especially since Steam has already been put on consoles like the PS3. And there's another rumor where the Wii U could be getting it as well. Would Valve be able to do both those and their own 1st Party system?

Northern Verve said:
I'd think that'd be kind of strange. Especially since Steam has already been put on consoles like the PS3. And there's another rumor where the Wii U could be getting it as well. Would Valve be able to do both those and their own 1st Party system?

To be honest, even though I said it'd be interesting earlier, I kind of agree. The major Valve games were already released to consoles, but they could always put out games exclusive to the Steambox. And yeah, it's been released to PS3. Prolly wouldn't buy it if it came out though.

Nega-Man said:
Northern Verve said:

To be honest, even though I said it'd be interesting earlier, I kind of agree. The major Valve games were already released to consoles, but they could always put out games exclusive to the Steambox. And yeah, it's been released to PS3. Prolly wouldn't buy it if it came out though.

Unless Valve decided to be all trolololo and place Half-Life 3 as an exclusive for the Steam Box

I thought steam was all about not being a console so they could do things online quickly and simply.

Hmmm...

This should be interesting, although I'm not sure if the concept will catch on.

It may seem a bit odd, but you have to remember that Valve have a massive following and their legions of mindless, obsessive drones will buy anything that has the Valve name on it.

mindless drones like meself

I thought Valve was a third-party company. But if they did make a console, it would be the greatest day of my life.

Nope, Valve has shot these rumours down.

http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down-rumors-valve-says-theyre-not-making-a-game-console-any-time-soon

Of course they would. Valve fans are some of the most rabid around.

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
I thought steam was all about not being a console so they could do things online quickly and simply.
Yeah. How can I say that PC is unique if Steam goes to consoles?

I long for the days when PCs were the most common way to play video games.

Dr. Javelin said:
Why? Console gaming was significantly easier and cheaper until Steam came around and made PC gaming idiotproof.

Seems pretty silly.

PC's have gone down in price in recent years and Valve is making a buck load of money from steam, and god knows what else.

Seems like a falty rumor to me.

Pretty much ARE. Considering the best way for fps's and open world rpgs like skyrim are best featured on the pc, the huge amount of mmorpgs, and with the recent years of emulation. I'd say PC pretty much IS the way of gaming.

Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Console gaming was significantly easier and cheaper until Steam came around and made PC gaming idiotproof.
Easier, yeah, but I tend to play RTS games where having about six buttons just won't do.

Plus mouse control is superior to any console controller in FPS games.

Fair enough.

Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Console gaming was significantly easier and cheaper until Steam came around and made PC gaming idiotproof.
Easier, yeah, but I tend to play RTS games where having about six buttons just won't do.

Plus mouse control is superior to any console controller in FPS games.

But, there are some games, such as Shadow of the Colossus, that I'd rather play with a gamepad.

Back