What is the best way to play Legend of Zelda?

Does The Legend of Zelda series play better if...

• ...played in order of release date...

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • ...or if played chronologically?

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Smashgoom202 said:
The "Phantom Hourglass" is the source of your time limit in the main dungeon, and you earn more sand to put in after you beat a boss.

You can also get it at the bottom of the ocean.

Yoshidude99 said:
Can you play the Song of Time?

No. There's no instrument to play.

Right, and again I say, with the exception of direct sequels, you can play them in pretty much any order you want. Doesn't really matter to me, but even if it did, they each have their own unique adventure while having only a few connecting threads to other Zelda games.

I can imagine Cranky saying "play it backwards from date of release! You see that motion control for that skythingy? Total waste on controls and the graphics! Waste of pixels and graphics"

Mario4Ever said:
Yoshiwalker said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Though about the Phantoms... you can stab them in the back with your sword (before the Phantom Sword, mind you) and it stuns them. Your bow does the same thing.
Only when you have the Spirit of Power equipped, I think.

That's right.
Alright, point conceded.

The bow still works, though.
Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Not that they did much in the first one... All they did was shoot you into the Forsaken Fortress, after that you run into them while retrieving bombs and the second Fortress run-through and that's pretty much it.
Here's the thing: this being one of the few direct sequels to any Zelda game, and given that Link is now traveling with them, I was HOPING to see more of them, and their characters more. I didn't, and that disappointed me.
Okay, I can see hoping for expanded characters, but that's no reason to go hating on a game because of a minor character not being developed.
Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Tip: Blow up everything with your unlimited-ammo cannon.

The Golden Frogs also help with mobility, and you can get anywhere within two minutes or so. It's no worse than Wind Waker's boat system.
When, exactly, are you capable of getting this "unlimited-ammo cannon"? It's been a while since I last played the game, so maybe it was there from the start, but still, having to wait 2 mintues for the chance to go faster is a lot worse than The Wind Waker, in which you were in complete control of the speed of your boat, thanks to the titular item, and you can control it on a dime instead of constantly having to re-draw new routes.
The cannon is gained at or before the second or third temple, I think.

Also, redirecting your ship with the map is faster than playing the Wind's Requiem and picking the direction. In addition, tapping things with your cannon is insanely easier than aiming the cannon in Wind Waker, plus you can fire while moving.

Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Have you never blown into a regular stage mic before?
Okay, I knew SOMEONE was going to misinterpret this part, so let me clarify. The game tells you to SCREAM/YELL into the microphone. Neither in the manual nor the game itself tells you that you can just blow into the mic instead. In fact, the game actually tells you to check and see if no one's around, like they're expecting everyone who's playing the game to yell at the top of their lungs at the DS, which, private or not, is really embarassing... Unless you're frustrated at the game for cheating.
I suppose blowing into the mic is cheating a bit, but yelling is a gimmick designed for kids.

Remember, this is a Nintendo game.
Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Alright, this is one point that is actually well-founded. Though about the Phantoms... you can stab them in the back with your sword (before the Phantom Sword, mind you) and it stuns them. Your bow does the same thing.
Yeah, I hate stealth games and forced stealth elements in games, so I hate the idea if risking getting caught just to get the chance to temporarily stun a guard/Phantom. In a way, I'm wasting part of my time limit, and I'm also risking getting caught either by that guard, or another guard. Worst part for me is that sometimes these are required to get through the dungeon sometimes, or at the very least, being stuck out in the open where a Phantom can get at you. I also didn't know about the bow... or Hell, I can't even remember when I got the bow!
The bow is gained at the third (?) temple, fairly early in the game.

Also, most of the time you wait inside the safe zones to dodge Phantoms, which doesn't take down your time limit. You can also bolster the time limit by salvaging Sand from the ocean, which is similar to Wind Waker.

RandomGuy said:
I can imagine Cranky saying "play it backwards from date of release! You see that motion control for that skythingy? Total waste on controls and the graphics! Waste of pixels and graphics"
The ultimate irony is that Cranky, who's old and stubborn, sounds EXACTLY like most gaming nerds today, who are probably nowhere NEAR as old as Cranky. :-\

Dr. Javelin said:
Okay, I can see hoping for expanded characters, but that's no reason to go hating on a game because of a minor character not being developed.
I said it was one of the reasons why I didn't like the game. A bunch of little things that ultimately add to one big mess. Because that DOES happen.

Dr. Javelin said:
The cannon is gained at or before the second or third temple, I think.

Also, redirecting your ship with the map is faster than playing the Wind's Requiem and picking the direction. In addition, tapping things with your cannon is insanely easier than aiming the cannon in Wind Waker, plus you can fire while moving.
Well, I guess you have me there... But I still preferred The Wind Waker's method to Phantom Hourglass's.

Dr. Javelin said:
I suppose blowing into the mic is cheating a bit, but yelling is a gimmick designed for kids.

Remember, this is a Nintendo game.
That. Is. Not. An. Excuse. Especially considering how huge Zelda's fanbase is, they HAD to be aware of their older fans. Whether you're a kid or an adult, it still a really stupid addition.

Alright, looks like we've settled things then. I concede that Nintendo could at least pay more attention to older fans.

OCCUPY WALL POSTS

THE 1% TAKES UP 50% OF THE SPACE IN THIS THREAD

WE ARE THE 99% OF THE FORUM

Back