About the Awards Committee

ralphfan

Thank you based god
(I'm posting this in GD because we won't really need a public Awards board for another month.)

So, within the past couple days, there has been a lot of buzz about the Awards Committee.

First of all, what is the Awards Committee? What are the awards?

Every year, as part of the MarioWiki's anniversary celebration, an awards show is held to celebrate the best and worst of the Mario series, as well as the best of the Wiki community. The Awards Committee organizes the show. Much of their work is picking which categories and nominees will be voted on, but they also organize game tournaments and other special events. Their work culminates in the Awards Ceremony, held here on the forums on the second Friday of August each year. The ceremony is accompanied by a chat party that often attracts retired users.

Why join the Awards Committee?

The Awards Committee discusses a lot about the Mario series and is one of the most highly respected aspects of the community. You gain experience in all sorts of formatting, coding and have a great time. Don't join if you just want to have the ability to lock topics.

Sometimes, people that are deemed unfit for the committee want to join, and people do get screened from entering.

How do I join?

PM me letting me know of your interest. You have to be able to behave well, have knowledge of the Mario series and be able to attend chat meetings on Friday nights from 8-10 Eastern time from late March through early June. The Awards Committee reserves the right to decline anyone who they feel would be detrimental to the committee.

I can't attend the meetings. How else can I pitch in?

You can present awards and participate in the other events. You do not have to be an AC member to present. On July 1, sign-ups open on this page to present awards. In an awards presentation, the presenter reveals the results of an award in a script, comic, flash presentation, GIF or other form of digital media. We even had a playable RPG one year! On the day the polls close (July 11 this year), I begin tallying up the results from the polls. When they're all done, I PM them to the presenters, who must have their presentation done a week before the awards ceremony (August 3 is the due date this year.) Presenters can, of course, make arrangements in case they won't be able to make the deadline. The Awards Committee reserves the right to decline any presenter that they feel would be detrimental to the ceremony.

You can also participate in the tournaments! In the past, we've had a Mafia game, a Brawl tournament, an MKW tournament, and every year we have a result-guessing contest! It's a lot of fun to be a part of, and some years, prizes are given to the winners.

Anyone can present as long as they aren't denied by the committee due to past actions.

Vinnie said:
Smasher said:
Anyone can present as long as they aren't denied by the committee due to past actions.

Unless there are limited spots for the AC, I don't think we need this feature.
Why

Vinnie said:
Smasher said:

Unless there are limited spots for the AC, I don't think we need this feature.

What? Do you have any idea what you're saying?

First you say you want to join the committee, even though you clearly know nothing about it.

Technically, there is no limit to the amount of committee members.

Like I said, you can sign up to present awards even if you aren't a committee member. However, the committee can prevent people from presenting, whether on past actions or because of a general consensus. That way, the committee can screen out anyone who they think is unfit to present. It has nothing to do with the amount of people in the committee or anything.

However, there are a limited amount of awards. Regardless of the number of awards, the committee can prevent people from presenting.

I don't want to sign-up anymore. And what makes you think I know nothing about the committee? Was it because I wasn't active whenever an aniversary was held?

Vinnie said:
I don't want to sign-up anymore. And what makes you think I know nothing about the committee? Was it because I wasn't active whenever an aniversary was held?
Well, if you act ignorant, people are more likely to assume you're ignorant. That's basic communication rules.

I didn't say you were ignorant, but I did say you acted ignorant about what exactly the Committee does, about a few posts above.

I'm not sure, but what I'm saying is that when you acted ignorant above, it wasn't much of a stretch to say you were ignorant about what you were talking about. But this is getting off-topic now.

Back