Were you Influenced by What Games you Played as a Kid?

What I'm trying to say is, did you play types of games as kids that make you like or hate games of the same genre today?

The First game I remember playing was Mario Kart 64 With my Brother.

I think Mario Kart 64 Influenced me alot, since Racing games with Items and Crazy Places to Drive at seem to be games I come back to alot. I played Mario Kart Wii, 7 & Double Dash alot as I got older/recently and I think Mario Kart 64 influenced me.

Also, I think playing with my Brother influenced me to like playing multiplayer games with others, since I love playing games with my friends (And I wished they would like it as much as I do).

I had an F-1 Racing Game I didnt like hardly at all, and now realistic Racing games like Gran Turismo, I dont like at all, they bore me just like my old N64 F-1 Racing game.

I played Pokemon Yellow on the Game Boy alot as well and nowadays I love the Pokemon Franchise, I even played LeafGreen yesterday!

Also, Mario Party 3 was the main Childhood game I had, I played it the most, probably more than any game I've played so far! And now, I'm trying to get all the Mario Party Games! I'm pretty close too, and I want to play them all with my friends (influenced from playing games with my brother as mentioned earlier)!

And Finally, the reason I don't like Shooter's much is Goldeneye 007. It was a great game, but all my cousins and friends wanted to play that and nothing else. I got bored of it since I played it with them all the time so I'd never play it when they wanted to, since I was just completely bored of it.

In Short,
Mario Kart 64 --> Influenced --> Love Wacky Racing Games (MK, Sonic & SEGA Racing, etc.)
Playing with Brother --> Influenced --> Love Playing Games with Others
Hated F-1 Racing --> Influenced --> Hate Realistic Racing Games
Pokemon Yellow --> Influenced --> Love Pokemon Games
Mario Party 3 --> Influenced --> Love Party Games & Mario Party
Got Bored of Goldeneye 007 --> Influenced --> Easily Bored by FPS (CoD, Halo, Battlefield, etc.)

Were you influenced at all?

Let's see, I can think of two at the top of my head:

I played a lot of Pokemon Gold and Snap when I was younger, and now I'll buy pretty much any Pokemon game. I always have fun with them no matter what they are (mainstream, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Trozei, I liked them all) and I guess those two influenced that.

I also played a lot of platformers (such as SM64, the Crash series, and a Donald Duck one) and I tend to love platform games.

I'm a lot like Smasher when it comes to the Pokemon series. Not only did playing Pokemon Blue and its older successors (Yellow, Gold, Silver, and the 64 games), but it also got me into RPG games as a whole. Notably the Fire Emblem series, the Mother series, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, all of the Mario RPG games, Tales of Symphonia and any other RPGs I've played that I missed.

Also, Metroid Fusion and the first three Mega Man X games got me into shooters - notably GoldenEye 007, Team Fortress 2, the rest of the Metroid series, and other shooters I've played.

I'm sure there's many more games/series I've played that have influenced me.

Most of the games I played as a kid influenced me to hate many of those same series that just don't know when to quit and keep on rehashing games non-stop even to this day.

Although I have a strong fondness for platform games and RPGs because of the earlier Mario, Sonic and Final Fantasy games I played when I was younger.

Yeah I was influenced a lot since I played Rayman and Sonic Adventure 2 a lot. I also played Crash 3 quite a lot

General Grievous said:
I also played Crash 3 quite a lot

crash 3's the shit

As a kid the games I played most were Super Mario World, SM64, and Crash Bandicoot 1 and 3

the term "The Shit" usually means, crazy good and you must play it.

it's like people saying "this shit is good!'. He's just saying it's 'the shit'. It's like saying 'The Bomb' except with more crap and less explosions.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
General Grievous said:
I also played Crash 3 quite a lot

crash 3's the shit

Hell yes.

Oh yeah I'm like Crackin when it comes to racing games. I played a lot of Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing and now I enjoy wacky racing games like Mario Kart, Sonic and SEGA, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. I played a couple of realistic racers and didn't like them at all. And I still don't really like those.

I also loved Diddy Kong Racing as a kid, I recently listened to its music again and had a nostalgia attack.

I've mostly been a Nintendo addict during my childhood. Of course, the Mario titles have often been what made me play video games in the first place.

Devil Jin said:
the term "The *bleep*" usually means, crazy good and you must play it.

it's like people saying "this *bleep* is good!'. He's just saying it's 'the *bleep*'. It's like saying 'The Bomb' except with more crap and less explosions.
Oh right I thought he meant it as in a swear word

Devil Jin said:
I also loved Diddy Kong Racing as a kid, I recently listened to its music again and had a nostalgia attack.
Fuck yeah Diddy Kong Racing.

Played Nascar Thunder 2003 as a little kid -> Great game -> I love racing games.
Played Wii Party -> Horrible game -> Hate party games.
Played Legend of Zelda (NES) -> Confused by gameplay -> Don't really dig action RPGs, at least not for completion.

Played Super Mario Bros. -> Loved Mario games.
Played Mario Kart 64 -> Got addicted to Mario Kart games.
Played Sonic Heroes -> Liked Sonic games a lot.
Played Pokemon Emerald -> Liked turn based RPGs a bit, but some seemed too long.
Played COD MW2 -> Way too hard -> Hated first-person shooters.

Devil Jin said:
Detective Dick Gumshoe said:
Devil Jin said:
Fuck yeah Diddy Kong Racing.
Fuck yeah indeed!

Shame the DS version pales in comparison.

The DS version wasnt that bad for me, I liked it in fact, I could play a childhood game on the go.

I was influenced by Pokemon. For example, I kicked a soccer ball really hard and I said "It's Super Effective!".

I meant influenced as in, you just prefer something better because of something you did as a kid. saying "It's Super effective!" is just kind of quoting something you like but whatever.

Saying "It's Super Effective!" was just an example. The main way it influenced me was that I like Mon games like Dragon Quest Monsters now, and I didn't previously.

That's a Wierd outcome from playing Pokemon but I won't judge.

Anyway, my friends dad played a lot of shooters and GTA type games and my friend usually watched his dad play them so that might be why he likes shooters and stuff.

Yes. Hell yes. The best example of this would be Banjo-Kazooie. At first, when I was about 6 years old, and played this game for the first time, I got stuck in Spiral Mountain. Not being able to understand English at the time, I paused. In the pause-menu I saw symbols with a '0' next to them. My immediate thought was 'I want to collect those. I want to explore to get them, and nothing is going to stop me.'. This thing about nothing stopping me with my exploration has followed me though the rest of my life, and I am ever so thankful for it.

Back