Why old games hard and modern games is easy?

ToxBox

Power Star
I played Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda for NES and those games is very hard while Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess/ Spirit Tracks is easy?

Why modern games is too easy now?

Because modern gamers have less patience.

Nintendo isn't as balls as they once were.

King DDD said:
I played Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda for NES and those games is very hard while Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess/ Spirit Tracks is easy?

The games were upgraded but that made it easier. Like more power-ups and how in newer Mario Bros games you can actually go back.

The video games of previous generations were made when controls were semi-simplistic, and a sequel meant something deliberately more difficult than its predecessor. They were also targeted to a different audience, the sorts of people that play games well and often. Now that video game companies are trying to attract a broader audience, and given that more forms of entertainment exist now than existed back in the so-called "good old days," elements are added to games in order to increase playability at the cost of decreasing difficulty. However, there are still plenty of "modern" games that are easy to play yet difficult to beat or master. Of course, none of this factors in people who have played games of a particular series so often that the games seem easier because of player adjustment to their formulas/mechanics.

^In short, probably because modern games are programmed far better so they aren't quite as ridiculously unplayable as many classic games.

Back in the old days game companies were still largely riding off arcade machines which were deliberately stupidly hard to wring all those nice quarters out of your pockets. Also something like the original Zelda was hard because they throw you into a situation you have no clue about and expect you to figure out the plot and game mechanics through the incredibly intuitive method of "I don't care you already gave me your money."

Nowadays I'd like to think we demand a bit more from our game developers so they can't get away with that shit anymore. Thus, much more reasonable games.

I found SMB pretty easy. LoZ was a bit challenging, but not that hard. So I don't know what ToxBox means.

Anyways, I know some modern games can be ridiculously easy *cough*SMG2 and SM3DL*cough* but the case might be that Nintendo is rushing their games. Or they just want to appeal a broader audience, like M4E said.

The newer games often hold more memory, which enables game developers to implement things like "Super Guides". You don't get anything like that in the NES days.

MnSG said:
The newer games often hold more memory, which enables game developers to implement things like "Super Guides". You don't get anything like that in the NES days.

At least in the case of "Super Guides" and similar functions, we aren't required to use them.

MnSG said:
You got built in cheat codes that helped you sometimes

Narpas Sword was way more game breaking than any super guide could ever hope to be.

Herr Shyguy said:
Narpas Sword was way more game breaking than any super guide could ever hope to be.
This. Of course, Narpas Sword didn't exactly show up and tell you to use it.

It's not like every level just starts with a "press here to win" button though. The super guide isn't available to you until you die, what, 30 times? If someone has enough trouble in a game for the super guide to activate and then complains about the game being too easy, something is clearly not lining up.

About time somebody made a topic for this. Yes, I have totally noticed this. The time I played the Atari, my father laughed at me for not even coming close to defeat Pitfall. And those two examples: I bet I could beat Super Mario Bros, but the reason why it's so hard, is that it's not a map game. You know you can go to different levels of different worlds and if you get a Game Over, you start the world all over again. But yeah, because of the arcade feature, that's why the map is an issue. And with the original Zelda, I don't have the patience to beat that. I bet I could, I know I could.

How is New Super Mario Bros. Wii easy? Maybe I just suck at video games. My point is, I don't think games have gotten easier.

Ultraluigi said:
How is New Super Mario Bros. Wii easy?

Mario4Ever said:
people who have played games of a particular series so often that the games seem easier because of player adjustment to their formulas/mechanics.
In essence, NSMBWii is essentially SMB1 with waggle. Older players are pretty much right at home with it.

I don't know. When I was little, Mario games were a real challenge for me. The new ones aren't that hard and I can't play the old ones because I lost them.

Crocodile Dippy said:
^In short, probably because modern games are programmed far better so they aren't quite as ridiculously unplayable as many classic games.
This.

Also for the fact that some of the games back then had shitty controls, or at least shittier controls than most of the games today.

I wouldn't consider SMG2 an "easy" game, but I agree with the statement of SM3DL being a simple one.

There are some recent games out there that may not be hard to beat, but hard to get a 100% completion. Kirby Mass Attack is surprisingly a pain in the ass to 100%.

One more thing: how many modern day gamers do you expect will be patient enough to beat a hard game?

'3K said:
In essence, NSMBWii is essentially SMB1 with waggle. Older players are pretty much right at home with it.
Except for the fact that it's a primarily mutliplayer game, and as such has an entirely different multiplayer mechanic.

I don't know about the difficulty of games, I really only play multiplayer games and the big new Mario every year or two, but Super Mario Bros. being harder than Super Mario Galaxy 2(which I don't actually agree with!) is really not proper evidence towards this point. You need more examples than just two or three big name Nintendo franchises.

King DDD said:
Because with the rising trend of ADHD kids, they don't want to ever have to repeat a level. They might get bored, and that would be a travesty.

Also because Americans are ever-increasingly lazy and they don't find challenges fun.

Dr. Javelin said:
King DDD said:
Because with the rising trend of ADHD kids, they don't want to ever have to repeat a level. They might get bored, and that would be a travesty.

Also because Americans are ever-increasingly lazy and they don't find challenges fun.

Not true; it depends on what the challenge is (far too many of us find rational thought to be a challenge, especially when it comes to laws and elections).

Back