Harry Potter

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I just realized we had no actual topic for this.
Goblet of Fire was the best.

Yeah, Goblet of Fire's basically the turning point of the series, both in terms of plot and in terms of character development. It's not my favorite book in the series, but it's pretty damn good.

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
I never read the books. I've only seen the movies.
I want to have a book discussion here. Not movies, really. The books were way better than the movies.

Discord said:
I want to have a book discussion here. Not movies, really. The books are way better than the movies.

Fixed. They don't stop being better, after all.

I personally thought the literary elements in Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince were the best executed, but I greatly enjoyed all of them.

Magus said:
I personally thought the literary elements in Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince were the best executed, but I greatly enjoyed all of them.
I would say I liked the prisoner of azkaban the least because it was about as magical as twilight - that is, it was more to do with werewolves and animagi and dementors than actual wizardry, which is my personal preference from the series.

And chamber of secrets gave me nightmares, but that was because of the movie so I guess it doesn't count.

My favourite would be four, five or seven.

Marioguy1 said:
Magus said:
I would say I liked the prisoner of azkaban the least because it was about as magical as twilight - that is, it was more to do with werewolves and animagi and dementors than actual wizardry, which is my personal preference from the series.

And chamber of secrets gave me nightmares, but that was because of the movie so I guess it doesn't count.

Ouch. I liked it because it depicts an often unseen aspect of the Wizarding World, plus it sets up a nice backstory for Sirius so we care about him when he gets killed by Bellatrix. Chamber of Secrets is my favorite of the series, if only because of the plot, and I think HBP was well-written...can't say the same for Deathly Hallows (not that the writing is terrible...it just gets incredibly convoluted once it introduces that whole "Elder Wand" thing (and Voldemort's death sucks)).

Yeah. The first book's major flaw was that it was introductory and Rowling was still kind of new to writing.
Book two didn't really have much to do with the series, just setting up for elements in other books, IIRC.
Third book was all over the place but nice because:
1. A lot of new stuff, like Buckbeak :D and
2. WE WON THE QUIDDITCH CUP
And I'm too lazy to evaluate the other books. Basically, the sixth just needed more action and then it would have been great.

Mario4Ever said:
Marioguy1 said:
Magus said:

Ouch. I liked it because it depicts an often unseen aspect of the Wizarding World, plus it sets up a nice backstory for Sirius so we care about him when he gets killed by Bellatrix. Chamber of Secrets is my favorite of the series, if only because of the plot, and I think HBP was well-written...can't say the same for Deathly Hallows (not that the writing is terrible...it just gets incredibly convoluted once it introduces that whole "Elder Wand" thing (and Voldemort's death sucks)).
I wasn't particularly impressed with PoA's plot either, but the way she chose to develop it was very well-done imo. In terms of plot itself, I prefer Order of the Phoenix or Goblet of Fire.

The reason I liked Goblet of Fire so much is because it was when things started getting srs bidness. Voldemort returns, Edward dies heeheehee, and it's the beginning of the split between Harry supporters and haters.

I also really enjoyed the glimpse into other wizarding schools (which I think was WAY shortchanged in the movie).

I always pick books over movies because so much gets cut out. They cut out most of the classes, which I think are still very important even if they don't relate to the plot directly. I like to find people who have seen the movies but never read the books and lend them my copy of Philosopher's Stone. They come back two days later demanding the other six as a ransom.

My favourite is Chamber of Secrets, though Goblet and Prisoner are close.

My least favourite would definitely have to be Order of the Phoenix. It's just way too long and drawn out. I almost stopped reading the series halfway through this book, just because I hated Order so much.

The Goblet of Fire was a fantastic addition; however, I personally liked the first three titles better. I always liked the development that the young Harry and his friends went through in order to tackle the more difficult situations in the later novels. I'd have to say that it is a tie between the Chamber of Secrets and the Prisoner of Azkaban in terms of my favourite Harry Potter novel.

My least favourite would definitely have to be Order of the Phoenix. It's just way too long and drawn out. I almost stopped reading the series halfway through this book, just because I hated Order so much.

The Order of the Phoenix was indeed long; however, I loved the battle scene in the end. It was really an intense fight during the ending as well as tragic with:

1. The death of Sirius
2. The development of Neville (not tragic, but interesting)

I personally wasn't too big of a fan of the Half-Blood Prince. I just didn't find it as thrilling as the others (until the end). The Deathly Hallows on the other hand was incredible; however.

Well, the Deathly Hallows introduced too many things for me to like. It was supposed to be a finale, but it wasn't. The final battle was horribly underwhelming, too.
Half-Blood Prince was very good for the penultimate book in the series - it just needed more action. The backstory it provided was amazing and it really got things going with character relationships.

Discord said:
Well, the Deathly Hallows introduced too many things for me to like. It was supposed to be a finale, but it wasn't. The final battle was horribly underwhelming, too.
Half-Blood Prince was very good for the penultimate book in the series - it just needed more action. The backstory it provided was amazing and it really got things going with character relationships.

I really think Rowling was pressured to finish Deathly Hallows. It felt rushed to me, and I think it was an excuse for Rowling to kill off virtually every major character.

Mario4Ever said:
Discord said:

I really think Rowling was pressured to finish Deathly Hallows. It felt rushed to me, and I think it was an excuse for Rowling to kill off virtually every major character.
I wasn't really concerned about plot or even the development of really anyone but Harry in HBP when I made that statement, but the way she characterizes him once he really begins to suspect Malfoy was so well done that it really stood out to me.

Deathly Hallows was good for tying up loose ends, but as a coherent chronological narrative, it did somewhat underwhelm. Also, when you think about it, the final battle was a good way to end it in a symbolic sort of way, but I would have liked to have seen an actual duel or something as well.

Magus said:
I wasn't really concerned about plot or even the development of really anyone but Harry in HBP when I made that statement, but the way she characterizes him once he really begins to suspect Malfoy was so well done that it really stood out to me.

Deathly Hallows was good for tying up loose ends, but as a coherent chronological narrative, it did somewhat underwhelm. Also, when you think about it, the final battle was a good way to end it in a symbolic sort of way, but I would have liked to have seen an actual duel or something as well.

Are you kidding? There's nothing good about this, symbolic or not:

Voldemort: Avada Kedavra!
*Harry dies*
Dumbledore: Harry, the Horcrux portion of you has been destroyed. Now, you can choose whether to remain dead or to return to your body and defeat Voldemort.
Harry: I'll return to my body.
Voldemort: I WIN!
*Harry returns to body*
Harry: *a speech on the power of love/sacrifice and convoluted Elder Wand bullshit*
*Voldemort dies*
FIN

Mario4Ever said:
Magus said:

Are you kidding? There's nothing good about this, symbolic or not:

*Harry dies*
Dumbledore: Harry, the Horcrux portion of you has been destroyed. Now, you can choose whether to remain dead or to return to your body and defeat Voldemort.
Harry: I'll return to my body.
Voldemort: I WIN!
*Harry returns to body*
Voldemort: Avada Kedavra
Harry: *a speech on the power of love/sacrifice and convoluted Elder Wand *bleep**
*Voldemort dies*
FIN
Well, I mean, given that she did seem to set it up with the whole "Voldemort knows nothing of anything innocent" sections, Voldemort getting killed because he refused to believe that he didn't control the Elder Wand fit in well with how she set it up. I do think she should have set it up differently, though.

I hate it when authors try to make the heroes seem noble in killing their enemies.

He killed Voldemort, Voldemort did not kill himself, regardless of how she tries to make it seem. Harry faced him with the intention of killing him, and therefore he as good as did it himself. She needs to suck that up and instead try to make it seem like killing was the proper course of action, which would be less rickety.

I love harry potter

Goblet of fire is the best book

Deathly hallows was brilliant too

i love the films and books

i think the books are better though

Marioguy1 said:
I hate it when authors try to make the heroes seem noble in killing their enemies.

He killed Voldemort, Voldemort did not kill himself, regardless of how she tries to make it seem. Harry faced him with the intention of killing him, and therefore he as good as did it himself. She needs to suck that up and instead try to make it seem like killing was the proper course of action, which would be less rickety.

No, as Harry refused to use Avada Kedavra. It doesn't help that in most of Harry's encounters, he's not focused on defeating Voldemort, just staying alive.

Harry does pretty much nothing but sneak around in the books. He doesn't fight well, and he freaking EXPLAINS TO VOLDERMORT HOW HE CAN'T WIN. Then Voldemort fires on curse and bam story's over.

Back