Do you think I'm going to like the Metroid series?

Koopayoshi

Shine Sprite
I just rented Metriod Prime 3: Corruption. I know both the Mega Man series and the Metroid series are very similar. But do you think I'll like it?

I've only played the original Metroid, and Fusion. Didn't like the original one that much, but Fusion is pretty fun. Can't give you a good enough opinion though

Corruption is a good start to the series if you're a n00b, since the Federation tells you like everything.

Anyways, Metroid is about being alone on fantastic environments and destroying evil wherever you find it. It is an epic journey to defeat your enemy. This explains it better than I ever could.

Quick Man said:
I know both the Mega Man series and the Metroid series are very similar.
No they're not, at least not in my view. Mega Man is all about the tight platforming, kickass music, and quirky robots while Metroid is all about the exploration, isolation, and atmosphere. Just because the characters both have modular arm cannons doesn't necessarily make the games similar.

Metroid is more like Castlevania than anything else. There's a reason the sub-genre is labelled "Metroidvania".

Crocodile Dippy said:
Metroid is more like Castlevania than anything else. There's a reason the sub-genre is labelled "Metroidvania".
Yeah, the sort of exploration and elements of isolation are very similar. Funny thing is, Corruption is one of the games that breaks the Metroid mold the most...

I would recommend starting with Zero Mission personally, but if you intend to play the Primes first you should at least start on Prime 1.

Eh, you might like it, but I wouldn't start the series with Corruption. If you must start with one of the Primes, do what Herr Shyguy said and play Prime 1. 2D-wise, I'd recommend Super Metroid...it's one of the best (Zero Mission's good, too...just play whichever you can get your hands on should you go the 2D route).

Magus said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Yeah, the sort of exploration and elements of isolation are very similar. Funny thing is, Corruption is one of the games that breaks the Metroid mold the most...

Along with Other M and Fusion.

Mario4Ever said:
just play whichever you can get your hands on should you go the 2D route
Except Metroid II. Do not under any circumstances start with Metroid II.

Herr Shyguy said:
Mario4Ever said:
just play whichever you can get your hands on should you go the 2D route
Except Metroid II. Do not under any circumstances start with Metroid II.

I was only stating he should play either Super or Zero Mission, but yeah, Metroid II's a terrible one to start with.

I'm just sayin' Metroid II's on the 3DS eShop and all, it'd be the most convenient to grab in a pinch.

Oh, I see (of course, as an Ambassador, I've also got the original. Don't know about you, but I prefer the games with maps).

Back