Lauren Faust Q & A on animation

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Lauren Faust is an animator that has been trying to make a name for herself in the animation industry for a number of years. She was an animator in such classics as The Iron Giant and Cats Don't Dance... And Quest for Camelot, though she views it now as old shame. She's more prominently known for her television animation history. She started out as a character layout artist for The Maxx, then was a walk cycle artist in the pilot Codename: Kids Next Door episode, "No P in the OOL". But by far, her most well-known works are her involvement in two classic Cartoon Network series: The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, both of which were creatoed by Craig McCracken, who is now Lauren's husband.

There's also one other TV show she's worked on that everyone knows about, but I'm not going to mention it here, so that people will actually READ what she has to say (you know who you are).

She's been trying to a long time to get a particular show, Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls, off the ground, and has been trying for decades to make a good girl's show that anyone can enjoy. As of now, she's working on a short series called "Super Best Friends Forever" as part of the whole "DC" thing Cartoon Network's been working on. It stars Supergirl, Batgirl and Wonder Girl, so it's KIND of the show she's been meaning to make, but not quite.

Here, she gives some advice on how to make it big in the animation industry! I'd say it's worth a look.

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/FAQ-276161988

Wait, she doesn't work on this incredibly popular show anymore?
They're screwed.

GLaDOS said:
They're screwed.
Yeah, first she stepped won to being a supervising director, then walked off the show entirely.

But it's okay, she's left the show in good hands.

GLaDOS said:
They're screwed.

It's not screwed at all. As Smashgoom said it's left in really great hands. And they shouldn't stray too far from what the series would be if Lauren was there for the entire show.

Mason said:
Who runs the show now?

I believe Jayson Thiessen. And he's a very capable director. He's even done interviews for the fanbase at Equestria Daily and came to an event in New York called BroNYcon. During the break between the first 2 seasons he said alot of stuff reassuring that the show will not change that much just because Lauren isn't in her role she was once in. He also gave little hints as to Season 2. Some of which we already have got to, others we still have left to see.

Jayson Thiessen? I'd be more comfortable if I knew anything else he's done before.

IMDB said:
george of the jungle - 2007 version
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO no no well wait I never actually saw that. I'll post the link anyway though since there are other cartoons: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2149505/

Don't worry. Jayson's a pretty cool guy. If you want, I'll find some of the old interviews I was referring to.

Jason is more than capable of keeping the quality up. Also, didn't he had something to do with "My life as a teenage robot" or whatever it's called?

Cheerilee said:
Jason is more than capable of keeping the quality up. Also, didn't he had something to do with "My life as a teenage robot" or whatever it's called?

That was Rob Renzetti who did the story editing.

Actually...

As of season 3, I heard he walked off the show, and one of the writers replaced him as storyboard editor. I think it was M.A. Larson.

Yeah Renzetti's out too but it's Meghan McCarthy who will be Story Editor now. And considering she made some of the most popular episodes of the show, I'd say it's in good hands as well.

Thanks for posting this Smashgoom! Since I am hoping to work in animation as a life career, this is really interesting.

QuizmoManiac said:
Thanks for posting this Smashgoom! Since I am hoping to work in animation as a life career, this is really interesting.
QuizmoManiac, an animator?
And what do you plan on making?

Overall FiM has a veteran team all-around. From the show's creators and producers, voice actors, storyboard artists and animators, and more. And they all work together to make the show as great as it is.

In Part 2 of CR's retrospective he called it a perfect storm where we have all these experiences people working on a show from a company (Hasbro) desperate for shows that will raise the popularity of their channel. And because they're desperate they'll do anything to get something great and keep it running for at least a few years or so. FiM's become their most popular show by a landslide. And while it's still the only show most people probably watch on the Hub that doesn't mean everything else is terrible. (Except maybe that Strawberry Shortcake cartoon that seems to airs before new FiM episodes, I get stuck with seeing the last 5 minutes before waiting for the next episode and you already get more stereotypically cheesy girliness then you get in the entire first season of FiM)

They need to continue to play more good reruns like Batman Beyond and Men In Black TAS so I'm not only watching HUB when FiM is on.

QuizmoManiac said:
Glad to be of assistance! ;)

Mason said:
They need to continue to play more good reruns like Batman Beyond and Men In Black TAS so I'm not only watching HUB when FiM is on.
Batman Beyond? What about Batman: The Animated Series, areguably one of the best television series based on a superhero? Besides, Batman Beyond was more of a sequel to that.

HUB would earn my life if they were to put something like Animaniacs reruns on the show. Even if they put them at 5 AM, I'd adjust my sleep schedule just to catch that show on TV. (If it weren't for the fact my family only has one working Dish box)

Animaniacs was, along with Batman: The Animated Series, was the best thing Warner Bros. every produced for TV.

Smashgoom202 said:
Batman Beyond? What about Batman: The Animated Series, areguably one of the best television series based on a superhero? Besides, Batman Beyond was more of a sequel to that.
I know all that. I didn't know they played Batman TAS on HUB; I was just naming things I've seen.

Back