Rest In Peace Anne McCaffrey

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
I just found out that my favorite author Anne McCaffrey died less than a month ago. She created many successful Science Fiction books including her beloved Dragonriders of Pern series. I remember perfectly the day I first read Dragonflight.

Anne McCaffrey
1926-2011
You will be missed, but your legacy won't be.

Never read her books but they sound cool. Sorry to hear she died.

Also, you phrased that pretty badly. Made it sound like people would miss her, but they'd be glad to be rid of her legacy.

Messed Up Freakshow of Cryptic Sarcasm said:

Also, you phrased that pretty badly. Made it sound like people would miss her, but they'd be glad to be rid of her legacy.
^^ Yeah you're right SVS. It's phrased oddly.

I have never read any of her books, and I haven't heard of her either.

They are cool....Huh, yeah it does sound that way. I like it nevertheless.
Mrs. Hedlund said:
I have never read any of her books, and I haven't heard of her either.
I wouldn't be surprised. She was much more popular in the the 70/80's era. Early 80's, to be in fact. And her books are not that popular unless you are a hardcore fantasy fan.

Omg, she was my favorite author. That is so sad. :(

On a side note, is her son still writing?

===edit===

Dragonflight was my first Pern book, I read it so long ago. It was one of the original covers too. I read it so many times, that the book is falling apart, and not because I didnt take care of it, but because of age and use. (It no longer has the cover, and the book kind of ripped in half.) I also have the original soft covers of Dragonquest and The White Dragon. I loved her Pern series. :(

Brock said:

===edit===

Dragonflight was my first Pern book, I read it so long ago. It was one of the original covers too. I read it so many times, that the book is falling apart, and not because I didnt take care of it, but because of age and use. (It no longer has the cover, and the book kind of ripped in half.) I also have the original soft covers of Dragonquest and The White Dragon. I loved her Pern series. :(
Yes, yes he is. Well, actually, I imagine he is. I never read Todd McCaffrey's Pern books, but someday I will, because they are a part of the series. I actually have Dragonflight/Dragonquest/The White Dragon all in one giant paper back, which is on top of my Bookshelf with my Lord of the Rings Trilogy as the pride of my library.

CharizardLover said:
Brock said:

===edit===

Yes, yes he is. Well, actually, I imagine he is. I never read Todd McCaffrey's Pern books, but someday I will, because they are a part of the series. I actually have Dragonflight/Dragonquest/The White Dragon all in one giant paper back, which is on top of my Bookshelf with my Lord of the Rings Trilogy as the pride of my library.

The books Todd and Anne wrote together were some of my favorite Pern books, ever. And not taking anything away from the original three, which I loved as well. I also liked the harper hall books. I just love the pern series, and it's sad to see Anne go, but at least her legacy will continue. :)

The Harper Hall Trilogy is the boss. I found out in some schools, they are required to read the first book in that series, Dragonsong. Lucky those school children. I had to read To Kill a Mockingbird, which, is not that bad.

She's a Science Fiction/Fantasy writer who was popular mostly in the 70's/early 80's. She wrote many series like Dinosaur Planet, Petaybee, Talents, Acorna, and of course, The Dragonriders of Pern. Most people won't know her unless your a hardcore fantasy fan, or old enough to even care, which I'm the former.

Nega-Man said:
Who?

Anyways, sorry to hear she died.

Nega-Man, you should read some of her books, I loved them. :)

Back