Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Like Punch-Out!!, but with samurai!

...Yeah, the graphics aren't much to look at, but I like them myself, and I think the game looks interesting enough to warrant a try!

why does the title make me think of Sakurai?

I bought this on Sunday, and I must say that it is pretty good. The only odd thing about it so far is selling Precision Points (earned by evading attacks right before they hit) for gold, which is used to buy food (which restores health), frogs (which more or less stun enemies and let you hit them four times in a row), throwing knives (which can attack enemies at a distance and can kill weaker ones), and whetstones (used to sharpen your sword when it gets dull from overuse/blocking enemy attacks, decreasing its attack power).

Yeah, I found that odd, too, considering you can sell ANY kind of precision points, not just new records... Like, what exactly IS a precision point, is it tangible or something?

I'm not sure. I also don't know how the shopkeeper knows about the record or why it's valuable. I was thinking that the Sakura Samurai writes it down (I'm not sure where he finds the time for that), but that makes me wonder why he doesn't just write down any old number and cash it in.

Yeah, it's a strange game mechanic and I'm not sure what they were thinking when they thought that up... It's a nice way to rank up coins when you need them, but it still makes me wonder.

Is it sad that I just found out you can get different special attack gems by earning stamps in minigames (I've made it to the third village)?

I haven't played that many mini-games, honestly... And from what I've seen so far, it's a pretty short game... I haven't beaten it, but judging from my health, and the overall map, I get the feeling I'm close to the end.

Well, you can see the final castle from the start of the game (it's up on the mountain), and I think the manual says that there are only three villages, so yeah. From the looks of things atm, the game's going to bombard me with tons of fighting locations before I get to the last castle.

Sometimes, one location can have a LOT of guys to fight. It's never clear when a given stage is going to end, new guys can appear at any given time. It's easier with the castles, since as soon as you defeat the guys in a given room/corridor, you move onto the next.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I hate the bomb-throwing ninjas.

Yeah, seeing as you can't dodge them normally like most other attacks.

I also find the ninja's rather funny-looking, like they all have pot-bellies. I was almost half-expecting some of them to have outfits that don't quite cover their big guts.

Back