The official Inheritance Cycle thread

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
Discuss any facet of the Inheritance Cycle here, except the movie or the game.

I enjoyed the first book and tried to read the second but it took so long to release I forgot half the plot points. By the time the third came out I had completely lost interest.

Yeah, the second book makes Eragon seem like a spoiled brat desperate to be with an elf eighty years older than him, and he's whining about his back through the whole book...

However, if the author had cut out the entirety of anything designed to build Eragon's character from the book, it would have been full of win...

Please spoiler any stuff from the fourth book, I've read the others though.

Have to mention that I did notice that a bunch of stories seem to be trying to copy Star Wars, and it's pretty obvious in the Eragon series with the "Riders" who are obviously based off Jedi (there used to be a giant order but then the Big Bad killed them all) and the fact that Murtagh and Morzan
are related to Eragon is an OBVIOUS knock off of Vader/Luke and what was one of the greatest reveals in history.

Dr. Javelin said:

Have to mention that I did notice that a bunch of stories seem to be trying to copy Star Wars, and it's pretty obvious in the Eragon series with the "Riders" who are obviously based off Jedi (there used to be a giant order but then the Big Bad killed them all) and the fact that Murtagh and Morzan
are related to Eragon is an OBVIOUS knock off of Vader/Luke and what was one of the greatest reveals in history.
I made a list of the most ridiculous ways the fourth book could copy the end of Star Wars, and a few of the more obvious came true. However, I'll say that the ending didn't totally rip off Star Wars and was much better than I expected. So don't feel too worried.

Scarecrow von Steuben said:
I stopped reading after Eragon murdered a man who was begging for his life in book three.
That shouldn't stop you; he got all emo about it for three chapters to appease his guilt... And the man was a soldier that would likely have had no choice but to reveal Eragon's location to the Empire.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Dr. Javelin said:

I made a list of the most ridiculous ways the fourth book could copy the end of Star Wars, and a few of the more obvious came true. However, I'll say that the ending didn't totally rip off Star Wars and was much better than I expected. So don't feel too worried.
I don't get why people say the series is like Star Wars. In reality, there are tons and tons of things with the same plot like SW. They're just common tropes. But no one mentions Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, which is the first series to include a mental bonding of dragons and their riders. But besides that, those two series are very different.

Lord Ghirahim said:
I stopped reading after Eragon murdered a man who was begging for his life in book three.
That shouldn't stop you; he got all emo about it for three chapters to appease his guilt... And the man was a soldier that would likely have had no choice but to reveal Eragon's location to the Empire.

1. As I recall he was emo for one chapter, and then Arya channels Ayn Rand and tells him it's totally okay, and then everything is cool.
2. This was right after he put a spell on that butcher guy that made him do what Eragon wanted or something. How difficult would it have been to do the same to the soldier, and force him to not tell anybody?

Lord Ghirahim said:

1. As I recall he was emo for one chapter, and then Arya channels Ayn Rand and tells him it's totally okay, and then everything is cool.
2. This was right after he put a spell on that butcher guy that made him do what Eragon wanted or something. How difficult would it have been to do the same to the soldier, and force him to not tell anybody?
1. Yeah, I think that was it.
2. The butcher was someone that Eragon had grown up knowing all his life and had a personal knowledge of, while the soldier was some guy Eragon had never seen, and had likely already had the same thing happen to him from Galbatorix (and would still probably have died had Eragon guessed his true name anyway, given Galbatorix's twisted nature).

Yeah, I guess so.

Honestly I think half of my distaste for the series has come from having it constantly hammered into my skull by the internet whenever Eragon comes up.

Yeah, I guess so.

Honestly I think half of my distaste for the series has come from having it constantly hammered into my skull by the internet whenever Eragon comes up.
Yeah, the Inheritance fanboys really got on my nerves between Brisingr and Inheritance, to the point where I had a silent moment of triumph every time a major wish of theirs wasn't fulfilled...

Yeah, I guess so.

Honestly I think half of my distaste for the series has come from having it constantly hammered into my skull by the internet whenever Eragon Homestuck comes up.
Fixed.

^_^

Dr. Javelin said:
Yeah, I guess so.

Honestly I think half of my distaste for the series has come from having it constantly hammered into my skull by the internet whenever Eragon Homestuck comes up.
Fixed.

^_^

That applies too.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Yeah, I guess so.

Yeah, the Inheritance fanboys really got on my nerves between Brisingr and Inheritance, to the point where I had a silent moment of triumph every time a major wish of theirs wasn't fulfilled...

Well, in this case, it wasn't the fanboys, but the haters. It's hard to enjoy something when its every flaw has been pointed out and beaten to death every time it comes up.

It is the fanboys that annoy me when it comes to Homestuck, though.

Lord Ghirahim said:

Lol, is that because the film ruined the ending of Eragon and the tie-in game was crap as, well it's a tie-in game. They're usually crap.

Bec Noir said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

Lol, is that because the film ruined the ending of Eragon and the tie-in game was crap as, well it's a tie-in game. They're usually crap.
Yeah, although imo, the film ruined the middle and beginning as well.

Lord Ghirahim said:
Bec Noir said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

The ending I don't get. I haven't watched it in a couple of years since the first time, of course, but didn't
Galbatorix get randomly killed by his own dragon?

CharizardLover said:
Lord Ghirahim said:
Bec Noir said:
Lord Ghirahim said:

The ending I don't get. I haven't watched it in a couple of years since the first time, of course, but didn't
Galbatorix get randomly killed by his own dragon?
IMO the rest was fine Bop, but the ending was so drastically altered. CL, no, he cut the tapestry down revealing Shruikan who unleashed fire into the air in rage. Galbatorix didn't die.

Messed Up Freakshow of Cryptic Sarcasm said:
Yoshidude99 said:
I am reading the first book at the moment. Galbatorix sounds like Darth Vader to me

Close. it's a different character who's based on Darth Vader.
I'm assuming you haven't read a synopsis of the final book, but it got even more eerily similar in that book (to the point where I chuckled deeply at reading it, despite the large amounts of suspense).

Yeah, although he did leave a great basis for a sequel series/spin-off, (especially one with Angela) and confirmed that he's been thinking of it. He's also refused to mention more about certain characters that appeared in like, two scenes the whole series but obviously had some significance, so that's a good basis right there.

Back