Favorite Cartoons by Time Periods of the past 20 years

SonicMario

Star Spirit
Hello making this thread here where you can talk about your favorite cartoons from different Time periods of the past 2 years. Here's how it will work you can make a list like this based on the different eras of cartoons for 1995-2000 and 2001-2005 they will have a seperate section for Nickelodean, Cartoon Network and just in case Misc. networks. This is based on the year the cartoon first aired so even though Spongebob is still ongoing it counts as 1999.

First section is 1990-1994. Although most of you might of been too young to catch the cartoons of this era there are still some cherished cartoons from this era. Including shows like Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, etc. That're considered some of the best cartoons that still hold up today. Others include some of the series made by DiC (Though Your milage may vary on which ones were good or bad) like Sonic SatAM. This also includes nick shows like Ren and Stimpy and Rugrats. (I'll count the Simpsons too although technially it started in 1989)

The next one (1995-2000) is a little bigger because this is when both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network hit their strides in terms of animation. So for this one and 2000-2004 there will be favorite of both networks plus a misc one (Though if you more loyal to one channel at the time you can leave the others out). 1995-2000 applies to a majority of the Cartoon Cartoons like Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo and more. And for Nick shows like Spongebob, Hey Arnold, The Angry Beavers, and more. Shows like Family Guy and South Park also count here.

Similarly we'll do the same for 2000-2004. Cartoon Network had Samurai Jack, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Kids Next Door and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and more have it's start then. Nick had shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Fairly Oddparents, and Invader Zim, and more at that time

2005-2009 goes back to a single thing because while there were still quite a bit of shows in between then there's nothing that really was really spetacular in the meantime. But could perhaps hold series that you believe were underrated. Though Phineas and Ferb may count as a highlight of this era

2010-Beyond are shows that for the most part are rather new and still ongoing. In other words your favorite currently running show (Really long running shows like Spongebob don't count) that include My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Adventure Time, and more.

To start it off here's mine (You can list multiple ones too):

1990-1994

Animaniacs

I was only a baby at the time this show was running but from what I saw from DVDs it was amazing. It's such a wonderful cartoon that's a great example of Early 90s animation. And it got away with quite a bit of adult-orientated jokes.

1995-2000

Cartoon Network

Courage the Cowardly Dog

I don't think I need to say anything more on this as I've already probably said it

Johnny Bravo

As much as Johnny was someone who was so stupid he thought he could get any hot girl just by flexing his pecs and sweet talking him it was such an enjoyable show. It teaches people not to be such a jock around the other gender too.

(I could say a majority of the rest of the Cartoon Cartoons but I think I'll stop here)

Nicktoons

Spongebob Squarepants

Had to go with this one say what you want on the more recent episodes the early episodes still hold up and make it a good cartoon

Kablam!

This doesn't get nearly as love as other shows of it's time but it had some great shorts and was very entertaining

(Here you can put a Misc. if there was another network with a show in this era)

2001-2004

Cartoon Network

Samurai Jack

What can I say. Was an awesome cartoon full of action. Aku especially was awesome.

Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

It was a really strange show but it was really fun to watch get things like the Grim Reaper turned into hilarious characters

Nicktoons

By far my favorite of this era, Avatar had everything. Great action, comedy, a thrilling story, and eventually an awesome ending, It was just overall an awesome cartoon and I love it even more then I do Spongebob in terms of Nick shows. I could almost say it's my favorite Nick show of all time.

My Life as a Teenage Robot

I thought this wasn't a bad show either. It had it's weirdness of a Robot trying to be a teenage girl while at the same time saving the world. And while I admit it probably wasn't exactly the best one it's enjoyable sometimes.

2005-2009

El Tigre

I feel this is a very underrated cartoon. It was creator-driven, the characters both heroes and villains are awesome. The stress about choosing Good or Evil I felt was a good theme as well.

2010-Present

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

If I need to explain this one at all, welcome to the internet forums new user.

Also just because I didn't mention a cartoon doesn't mean I didn't enjoy alot of the others. I still like other cartoons from those eras and it would take a while for me to type up why I like all of those shows. So I figured on picking just a few for each one. Particulary 2 from each network in 1995-2000 and 2001-2004

What, no anime? Everyone knows Cowboy Bebop is the greatest animated series of the late 1990s.

Well I was kind of leaving out Anime on purpose in case there any people here that were like "ANIME AREN'T CARTOONS!!!!!" or something.

Though I gotta be honest even if I included Anime I never became a big fan of anything except the early seasons of Pokemon and most of Dragonball Z. I'd be a laughing stock if I ever joined any Anime-centralized site and told people those were the only ones I got into.

But if you want to include your favorite Animes go on ahead.

I'm not really an Anime fan either.

Anyway:

1990 - 1994

Animaniacs

Basically what SM said about this applies to me.

The Ren & Stimpy Show

I fell in love with this show four or five years ago. It's kinda stupid, yes, but that's why I loved it.

1995-2000

Cartoon Network

Edd, Ed, & Eddy

My favorite of the Cartoon Cartoons. It was a great show for many reasons.

Nickelodeon

The Angry Beavers

I think we all know why this show is on my list.

CatDog

Another one of my favorites. It was very humorous, the animation was good, it had a great cast of characters, and I just loved it.

2001-2004

Skipping Cartoon Network because I honestly didn't care for that many of the shows made during this time.

Nickelodeon

Invader Zim

Yes, it was pretty stupid. That's why I love it. The insanity is what makes me watch it.

The Fairly OddParents

Probably the only good cartoon still running on Nickelodeon. (It is still going right? :P) Always has been one of my favorites.

My Life as a Teenage Robot

Another good Nickelodeon show. I find it to be underrated.

2005-2009

My god this show is great. Great animation, great action, great characters, great story, great everything.

Total Drama Island/Action/World Tour

I honestly have no idea why I love this show. I just do.

2010-Present

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

What can I say? I'm a brony, all there is to it :P

So there you go.

There is absolutely zero basis on your "era's" besides what you think are good and bad cartoons.

That're considered some of the best cartoons that still hold up today.

Care to specify by whom?

Mijzelffan said:
There is absolutely zero basis on your "era's" besides what you think are good and bad cartoons.

I was just trying to put up smaller eras for the past 20 years, I know their tiny but they were still different. I wasn't saying that certain "eras" were better then others (Other then possibly the 2005-2009 which I guess I sort of labeled the place to put any underrated cartoon from that time. Though if you saw Phineas and Ferb (I haven't seen that show) you could put it there since I hear that's an awesome show.)

And chill out, I didn't make this to show off what you think are bad cartoons. Just think of this thread as talking about your favorites of the past 20 years.

I sounded kinda like a jerk in that post, didn't I? Sorry 'bout that. Anyway, my favourite shows then. I have no idea what year they're from though, since my country used to lagg years behind in cartoons. My favourite cartoons have always been:

kid:

Thomas the Tank engine
The Smurfs
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
Pokémon

older kid:

Spongebob
Jimmy Neutron
The Angry Beavers
Animaniacs / Pinky and the Brain
The Powerpuff girls
Scooby Doo
Top Cat
Catch the Pigeon

recently:

Total Drama Island
Penguins of Madagascar
Phineas and Ferb maybe. It gets kinda repepitive.
My Little Pony: Friendship is magic

Perhaps more. Kinda hard to remember all of it.

Northern Verve said:
Well I was kind of leaving out Anime on purpose in case there any people here that were like "ANIME AREN'T CARTOONS!!!!!" or something.
Whoever makes that argument is trying to look special. At most anime is just a different style of cartoons, but they're still cartoons.

Back