Concerning Cartoon Network/Saviors of Modern Cartoons

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Two videos (that I didn't make, FYI) that talk about modern day television cartoons, particularly Cartoon Network:

Excellent video. Damn do I miss what Cartoon Network used to be like. Even the commercials sometimes had something to look forward to. He brings up some great points here.

Hope his MLP:FiM video he promised at the end of the 2nd video isn't too far away from now :]

My opinion on CN these days is VERY long and requires a loooong rant.

Luckily I'm not in the mood for a rant. Consider yourself lucky, for now.

It's not really a rant. I'd call these (Well at least the first one, since the 2nd one just highlights good shows that are still currently running) videos retrospectives instead.

I watched the second video. Agreed with him again, for the most part. I've been very reluctant to watch Chowder, Flapjack, Adventure Time and Regular Show but I agree with what he said about Phineas & Ferb and MLP:FiM.

Mijzelffan said:
I'm not gonna listen to / watch 30 minutes of rant.
I love how you felt the need to barge into this thread to announce that, without saying anything else whatsoever.

I watched both videos.

Pretty much the only thing I disagree with is the "saviour-ness" of Regular Show. Honestly, it's not really that good, IMO.

Herr Shyguy said:
Whatchoo talkin bout? Regular Show is great.
I don't know about you, but I find many of the various storylines lacking in substance and the characters (especially Rigby) extremely annoying.

Yeah, Rigby is pretty annoying... The fact that he's the main one getting both him and Mordecai into trouble with Benson is also really grating. Mordecai, while a troublemaker in his own right, is a nice balance, and the fact that he's voiced by the show's creator, JG Quintel, is also a plus in my book.

Also, you know that clip he used in the video about the Warden of the Internet, trying to stop people from making viral videos?

Thanks to SOPA, that's dangerously close to actually happening...

Dragon Ball Z Kai is a savior. It's rebooting Dragon ball Z. It has action and comedy. And it's showing the DBZ universe to a new generation. The legendary Z lives on!

GalacticPetey said:
Dragon Ball Z Kai is a savior. It's rebooting Dragon ball Z. It has action and comedy. And it's showing the DBZ universe to a new generation. The legendary Z lives on!

I like Dragonball Z and all but DBZ Kai is still just a remake of a show that was made years ago and can't really be counted as a savior of modern cartoons because except for those who never watched DBZ before Kai came out it's not new. Also I'm pretty sure the guy who made the videos are referring mostly (He does mention a few animes when discussing Toonami including the original DBZ) to shows classified as Western Animation (Cartoons made/developed in the US and/or Canada). Anime is still a cartoon, but if they qualified for what the guy was talking about we might technically have way more "saviors" then that judging by how popular Anime is.

Northern Verve said:
GalacticPetey said:

I like Dragonball Z and all but DBZ Kai is still just a remake of a show that was made years ago and can't really be counted as a savior of modern cartoons because except for those who never watched DBZ before Kai came out it's not new. Also I'm pretty sure the guy who made the videos are referring mostly (He does mention a few animes when discussing Toonami including the original DBZ) to shows classified as Western Animation (Cartoons made/developed in the US and/or Canada). Anime is still a cartoon, but if they qualified for what the guy was talking about we might technically have way more "saviors" then that judging by how popular Anime is.
Still, it expands interest in foreign countries in this case Japan.

BTW GP how about you start a Dragonball/Z/GT/Kai general thread here in General Entertainment? I wouldn't mind talking about it occasionally. We seem to reference it at least a few times in here.

DBZ Kai is DBZ WITHOUT all the obnoxious filler that plagued the series. And that is something to be celebrated.

(*sigh*) I'd like to say again that not all the filler was bad. It added some more Drama in between fights again for the exception of the Garlic Jr. Saga and a few unnecessary episodes in the Saiyan and Namek Sagas plus that whole Gohan in High School sort of deal the filler wasn't that bad. If anything it was actually kinda nice having at least one Slice-of-Life in a mostly episodic series. I actually sort of enjoyed the one where Goku and Piccolo try to learn how to drive.

I also dislike the stereotype that the original series had episodes of just powering up and/or screaming for 3 or more episodes. But hey, what am I going to do.

I said without the obnoxious filler, as in the filler that was annoying. Namely, the moments of the characters standing around saying and doing absolutely nothing.

I once made an Official Cartoon Network thread.

I think I'll bump it so we can have a serious conversation.

Back