Favorite Punch-Out!! Opponent

MnSG

Cosmic Beauty
I recently managed to get a copy of the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, and have decided to make this thread.

Basically, state which Punch-Out!! opponent that you like fighting.

Me, I've made it to Title Defense mode, and I did find Contender Aran Ryan to be an amusing opponent. I haven't been able to stun him though, but I have managed to exploit his instant KO weaknesses; hitting him with 7 Star Punches, and hitting him with a 3-Star Punch after blocking his headbutt.

Mine's a toss-up between King Hippo and Soda Popinski. Soda Popinski looks badass and has THE best fight remix in the Wii game. King Hippo is just classic.

I also like Bear Hugger. Fun guy, he is.

I've also enjoyed Title Defense Glass Joe. Once you've figured out his headgear weakness, he's practically helpless.

Title Defense Glass Joe was MAJORLY tricky at first! I was all like "DAMN, Glass Joe's actually putting up a fight now!"

Also, Great Tiger is SO under-appreciated... :(

Well, I've cleared Title Defense mode, and have managed to get Donkey Kong and Champions Mode in Mac's Last Stand. Piston Hondo and Soda Popinski pretty much screwed me up (they gave me two consecutive losses, and Piston Hondo ended my career when I fought him a second time), but I was fortunate to get Glass Joe, Von Kaiser, Bear Hugger, Aran Ryan, and oddly enough, Super Macho Man.

Great Tiger did come by, but I was able to survive his onslaught. Don Flamenco was easier to handle once I've figured out his infinite combo weakness. Disco Kid, King Hippo, Bald Bull, and Mr. Sandman didn't pop up at all during my Last Stand run.

I fought Donkey Kong twice, with me winning both matches be decision. It wasn't until I fought DK in Exhibition where I was able to KO him, but it did take me over a half hour to pull off.

Basically, Mac's Last Stand is quite nasty, since it prevents you from resetting matches, or quitting. I'm just glad that I don't have to redo my career after all of this.

It's a shame, though, after you lose 3 times in the Last Stand, all you have left is the Exhibition Mode. But it's okay, because there are goals you can achieve, and by doing them you unlock the music and quotes from each character.

You know, when I saw those Donkey Kong videos, I was rather paranoid about how I'd fare against him. Fortunately, after studying some of the videos, I was able to find a way to win by decision against him. Not once did I lose to Donkey Kong, thanks to the notes that I've taken.

Anyway, Donkey Kong may not be a favorite opponent on my end, but at least there's a way to get by him without putting your career in jeopardy.

MnSG said:
You know, when I saw those Donkey Kong videos, I was rather paranoid about how I'd fare against him. Fortunately, after studying some of the videos, I was able to find a way to win by decision against him. Not once did I lose to Donkey Kong, thanks to the notes that I've taken.

Anyway, Donkey Kong may not be a favorite opponent on my end, but at least there's a way to get by him without putting your career in jeopardy.
There is? I thought you had to fight him in career mode in order to fight against him during the exhibition mode.

Smashgoom202 said:
There is? I thought you had to fight him in career mode in order to fight against him during the exhibition mode.

Yes you have to face Donkey Kong in Mac's Last Stand to unlock him for Exhibition mode. Although I won against him, I don't know if it matters if you win or not.

Also, I take back what I said about Donkey Kong. He's now one of my favorite opponents, since I've been able to KO and TKO him without falling for those taunts. The only taunts that I attack on are the following...

Taunt 1 - Donkey Kong puckers his lips at you and then winks at you.
Taunt 4 - Donkey Kong starts to dance, swinging his arms up and down.

As long as I go for those taunts, I don't risk getting caught in the nasty combos that DK can use. Instead, I just work on getting stars, and using them whenever I dodge DK's attacks. Also, I've managed to beat him in Champions mode as well, which adds to my statement about liking to face him.

I try to find different ways to get stars from DK, and I also try to see if I can trigger his final KO animation. You know, like Glass Joe getting the croissants knocked out of him.

Smashgoom202 said:
I try to find different ways to get stars from DK, and I also try to see if I can trigger his final KO animation. You know, like Glass Joe getting the croissants knocked out of him.

I've managed to pull that off myself; this was inevitable for DK's challenges. It is pretty amusing when you trigger Donkey Kong's KO animation.

All the KO animations are pretty amusing in their own way...

Well, except Bald Bull and Mr. Sandman. Those were more "OMG, you actually managed to beat this guy!" kind of animations.

Smashgoom202 said:
All the KO animations are pretty amusing in their own way...

Well, except Bald Bull and Mr. Sandman. Those were more "OMG, you actually managed to beat this guy!" kind of animations.

Bear Hugger and Great Tiger are unique in that their Title Defense KO animations are slightly different from their Contender KO animations. For Bear Hugger, his squirrel will go flying before the KO animation begins, and when Great Tiger gets KO'd, he'll vanish as soon as he falls down onto the boxing mat.

Bear Hugger is an amusing opponent, but Great Tiger is a beast in Title Defense mode (unlike with the Contender match, where he's rather easy to beat up). In other words, I really don't like Title Defense Great Tiger, which is all due to his unpredictable attack maneuvers after the first knockdown.

I find Great Tiger an interesting character, because he was the first opponent I had troubles with when I played the NES game. His Title Defense fight certainly lives up to that sort of tricky difficulty, moreso than his normal fight.

Back